Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Off Season Regimen

It’s the offseason. Not just for running but apparently for posting too. This is the time of year when my running usually takes a backseat to indulging my offseason hobbies of cookie eating and eggnog spiking. Last year I was unable to fully enjoy those hobbies because I was in the middle of training for a marathon but this year my plan to get back on the cookie wagon is in full swing.

In order to impede my poor eating habits I’ve also been doing a lot of cross training this winter in the form of P90X. You’ve probably seen the ads for it all over the place and now that I’ve mentioned it in a post it will probably show up in the ads here too. I’ve never been good at cross training because I’ve never really enjoyed it all that much, and therefore I’ve never stuck to it for more than a few weeks. To be honest I’d rather just go run than spend my time lifting weights or doing yoga or whatever else it is that you do for cross training, but P90X has been different. I actually enjoy doing it.

One of the reasons for doing P90X is so that I can start to look more like the cover models on Runner’s World magazine. I’ve often made mention on this blog of my chiseled Pecs and my rippling abs and it would be kind of cool if one of those things were actually true. Maybe then I could get on the cover of RW, I’d even be willing to wax my chest to help make it happen. Ironically, my quest to look more like a RW runner has led to me running less frequently (as little as twice a week) and doing more cross training, but it’s the offseason so I’m OK with that.

Site Note
Sorry about the lack of posting lately. I’ve been struggling to find the motivation to write something on a regular basis, but I’d like to get back to it because it’s a cathartic exercise for me. I’ll have a year in review post coming up next week that you don’t want to miss. If you’ve been following my race results this year then you know that there are going to be a lot of excuses. A. LOT.

I hope you all have a Merry Christmas or a Happy Hanukah or whatever it is that you celebrate in the winter season that allows you to eat stupid amounts of fatty foods. The winter solstice has passed and that means that Spring (and racing season) is practically here!

18 comments:

  1. I'm not sure P90X will get you on the cover of Runner's World, but you'll have a chance at Leather Skin Gross Muscles Baby Oil Shrunken Balls Monthly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'm not sure P90X will get you on the cover of Runner's World, but you'll have a chance at Leather Skin Gross Muscles Baby Oil Shrunken Balls Monthly."

    ...where apparently you can share the cover with XC2. At least that's the impression I get with her touting all the weight lifting she's doing.

    Oh, and FYI, you have to follow that program for more than a month and half if you want to reach cover model status...I mean...that's what someone told me. I would never give up on it that fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always thought that cookie eating during December WAS cross training! That explains a lot...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, the charms of P90X. The yoga is about all I can do since pull ups make me feel like a weak little baby...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally - a post. Now if we can only get Nitmos to snap out of his funk, too! Make sure RW gives you credit for the increased subscribers waiting to see you on the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe if you mention P90X one more time, they'll comp you. Happy Christmaskahzaaa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you please do a live podcast of you getting your chest waxed? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I suck at cross training and by suck I mean I haven't cross trained at all since I started running in April. I've heard about P90X and everyone says good things about it, maybe I'll have to try it out...or maybe I'll just keep running instead??

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always thought P90X was a sport's car. Shows you how much I cross train.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can only guess that P90X is the latest in designer steroids. No way you're getting chiseled pecs and rippled abs the old fashioned way. If you need to steal any more words, stop on by Team HQ, where posting happens.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure you'll be in magazine cover shape in no time! Cookie eating is on of my favorite cross training activities!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am totally counting the days until Spring too!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Merry Christmas! Get back to blogging, you're good at it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. May your cookie eating and eggnog drinking leave you full and satisfied. ;)

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  15. cLiNk ... Here's to your upcoming RW cover complete with waxed chest (and that was me drinking that spiked egg nog!).

    I know what you mean about the cross training. I also get determined to start it, and then last probably less than your 2 or 3 weeks. Maybe I will also try that P90 X whatever thingie that everyone's been raving about these days, since you say it's actually fun.

    Hope you have a great cookie eating and egg nog spiking holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. call me crazy, but maybe cookie eating while doing P90X cancels out the benefits? HA, actually, I hear it is quite hard. Good job, Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm about to start P90X too...But I'm waiting until after the holidays!

    Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you are not going the way of the dodo bird…errrr Nitmos. Looking forward to the new posts.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.