Thursday, June 30, 2011

Any plans for the 4th?

That seems to be the popular question for making small talk around the office these last few days. Either that or “Are you doing anything fun for the 4th?” I’m running the Breckenridge Independence Day 10k so I thought I was doing something fun for the 4th, but then I started trying to explain it to people: “I’m getting up stupid early to run with 300 other people up a single file trail that rises from 9,600 feet to 10,400 feet before coming back down again.” It doesn’t sound like something I’d normally describe as fun, but maybe my sales pitch just needs a little work. Those endorphins must be powerful things to make us do the things we do.

Candis and I ran this race last year and I really enjoyed it, Candis not so much. That explains why she’s sleeping in this July 4th and I’m running it by myself. I have no idea how fast I’ll be able to run it since it’s a tough course and last year Candis and I took it pretty easy, even walking through some of the steep climbs. I think I’ll be happy with anything under 60 minutes.

So, what about all of you? Are you doing anything fun for the 4th are you running a race?

7 comments:

  1. Heading to NYC so doing a run in Central Park for a real change of pace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nothing. that's how laid back our weekend is going to be. And it's not because we're losers, OK? It's not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since they took away my usual 10K two years ago, no racing for me. Instead I intend to drink beers and play some banjo and see family. Good luck with the hilly race. Happy Fourth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't run a race on the 4th. It goes against my "no running races on Holidays." Plus I have no intention of running with 55K people in Atlanta Heat for a Peachtree T-Shirt (this is the race that battles with the Bolder Boulder of who is the largest 10K).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Running a 15k trail run on the 3rd...does that count? Stupid early too....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not today. We finally got some decent weather in the Pacific NW. I have to cut the lawn and weed.

    Pedometer watches, Have Fun, Run

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ran that race this year! How did you like it?

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.