Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Cops: They’re OK I guess

This past weekend during my long run I had another encounter with the po-po, I think that’s what all the cool kids are calling the police nowadays. I guess they “see me rollin’, they hatin’, patrolling they tryin’ to catch me riding dirty.” Now I know how Chamillionaire feels. Those of you that haven’t been following this blog for very long might have missed my previous run-in with the law, if that’s the case you can read about it here.

I was finishing up my 6 mile run (yes that qualifies as a long run these days) and I was pushing the pace a little because there were people around watching me, plus it was a downhill stretch, plus I was feeling guilty about doing 6 miles and calling it a long run. Coincidentally I was running right past the crosswalk where the previous incident occurred (again, read that account here). As I approached on the sidewalk I noticed that a traffic cop was sitting in the school parking lot on the lookout for speeding motorists. It was warm out (50 degrees, which is warm by Colorado standards this time of year) so he had his window down and as I ran by I couldn’t stop myself from pulling out an earbud and yelling at him, “was I speeding?”

He laughed and waved at me before responding with “nah, but I did actually clock you at 8 miles an hour!” I smiled at the thought that he had seen me coming and clocked me. I guess some cops aren’t so bad. Although the fact that my Garmin never had me at anything faster than an 8 minute pace (7½ mph) would indicate that his radar gun was off by a ½ mph in his favor, proving that cops really are just out to get me. Whatever, I just roll on. “My music so loud, I’m swangin’, they hopin’ that they gon’ catch me riding dirty.”

8 comments:

  1. In my subdivision sometimes they set up those radar monitors that clock cars and display their speeds on the monitor.

    I must have a small radar signature (advanced stealth model Flash) because I can never get one of those suckers to measure my speed when I run up to them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really hoping to see the words 'violently tased' somewhere in here when I realized you had an encounter with a cop. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha. this made me crack. Gotta watch out for those po-pos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! That made me laugh pretty hard. :-) Apparently you did the right thing... I hear that waving and saying hi to cops makes you appear less suspicious!

    Congrats on the rocking pace!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here I was thinking a cop had heroically saved you from some hit and run incident and all I get is this lousy attempt at rap and being witty with a radar gun. Gees.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those hand-held radar guns must be more sensitive than those things on the road that say "your speed." I can never get those to register for me either. Maybe I'm stealth too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with nitmos.. "don't tase me bro!! Don't tase me bro!!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad this story didn't end with you twirling your finger in the air while making siren noises.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.