Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Glitch in the Matrix

Yesterday morning weird things were afoot. First of all I was out running before dawn which is weird thing number one, but it gets weirder. I was running along the sidewalk when I was passed by a white Volvo and a black BMW. No, that’s not the weird part. I don’t know what made me take notice of them, perhaps the fact that they were side by side travelling the exact same speed, but what made it weird was that they passed me again not 30 seconds later, going in the same direction, same formation and I’m pretty sure there was no possible way for them to loop around behind me that quickly. It made me think of that scene in the Matrix when Neo sees the black cat twice. I’m pretty sure it was a glitch.

Just shortly after they passed me the streetlight that I was approaching went suddenly dark. I hate it when this happens. All of a sudden the street was flooded with darkness and I found myself focusing my attention on the sidewalk because now it was harder to see obstacles or patches of ice that might be in my way. Of course, this left me less time to scan the surrounding bushes and trees for would be muggers or women who might want to attack me and forcibly take advantage of me (because I’m so sexy, see). When you’re running in the dark you have to be alert at all times for women like this, because you don’t want to miss them if they’re out there.

The streetlight thing is something that I’ve written about before and even though I hate it, I’ve gotten to the point where I’m used to it. During almost every run one or two lights will go out as I pass under them and it’s never the same lights. I no longer think that it’s part of some evil genius’s dramatic scheme to kidnap me, but it is weird, right? Do any of you have this affect on streetlights? Do you have any theories on what causes it? Is my Garmin interfering with the lights somehow or is it just the excellence that I radiate from my pores that fool the light into thinking it’s morning?

I also trip the traffic lights coming out of a couple of neighborhoods when I cross the street which probably just means that the traffic sensor is too perceptive and not that I weigh as much as a VW Bug, but I like to think it’s because there’s some paranormal activity going on. Here are some other paranormal things that often occur around me:

  • The light in our fridge turns on when I open the door.
  • If I close the garage door and then walk under it, it starts going back up.
  • Women become nauseous.
  • Sometimes when I’m driving down a long straight stretch of highway I’ll notice that my blinker is on, even though I haven’t used it since I changed lanes six minutes ago!

Weird huh?

22 comments:

  1. First thing you need to do is stop this morning run stuff. I too turn off streetlamps. I think it's the world's way of saying it disapproves. As for the two cars? Those are the kidnappers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fridge does that too!!!!

    LOL! OK Totally needed this comic relief this afternoon! Good luck figuring out the mysteries of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this post!

    So, I've oddly been noticing the same thing about the streetlights. It happens to me too. Isn't it something about temperature? Like when something hotter than the light comes into the area, the light goes out? Because I know you're hot, and well, I guess that means I'm pretty decent looking as well. Does that mean we're in the same category of good-lookingness?! How should I feel about that?

    Or is it the other way around? When something colder comes into the area, the light goes out?

    Actually, it's probably nothing to do with heat and cold. I'm likely sleep deprived.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm too busy focusing on my form, breathing, gait, etc. to notice things light streetlights and such.

    That being said, I'm sure it's the same paranormal force that had you finish a good 30-40 minutes ahead of me in the PFCRNRAZ marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is obviously a very bad omen and something super awful is about to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely think that its just your awesomeness messing up the world. The car thing was weird though. Maybe you are the next person to go in the Matrix! Don't let them know you are on to them.
    When lights go out when I run by them it completely freaks me out. I will always think that something bad will happen to me when I run through that darkness

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had this issue with street lights for 20 plus years of running. No clue why, but it apparently is common - as I have heard other runners mention it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the same street light thing happen to me in my car. I consider it good luck, make a wish, kiss my hand, and smack it on the roof of my car as I pass under the light.

    I also make wishes at 11:11 and the time I was born. Yes, I'm 12.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also have this happen all the time (whether running, walking, in car, or doing the Snake) and what's even WEIRDER is that after I experienced it on my morning run yesterday, I briefly considered writing my post today about it. But being that I'm a procrastinator and haven't yet written that post and now you've gone and done it first, I can't write mine about it. Unless I am Razz or Nitmos and just want to copy you. Which I'm not.

    I read sometiem back that turning off the lights is something to do with lifeforce energy and interrupting the forcefields or something. It was on a very legitimate site on the internet, so clearly it is true. Tell Neo I said hi.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always say "there's a glitch in the Matrix" when I have deja vu!

    Once, I had a streetlight go out on me and I was plunged into darkness so suddenly that I tripped and fell down and scraped myself up so badly I had to call my husband to come and get me. It was awful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Women become nauseous.

    women become NAUSEATED.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That IS weird...I became nauseous just reading this.

    Just kidding. Thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have the explanation. It's your animal magnetism.

    You generate such an intense electromagnetic field that it shorts out streetlights and causes cars to reverse so fast that you don't even see them do it.

    Please don't make my car go into reverse without giving me warning. Otherwise, I would be taken aback. Hate it when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There are no street lights where I live. Which is frustrating now that I understand there may be "women like that" out there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you have spent too much time standing in front of a mircowave and are now emitting radiation.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I also get the streetlight phenomenon. Wierd! I always thought it was just flaky lights in my neighborhood, but after reading your post I am now convinced it is a conspiracy against runners.

    ReplyDelete
  17. DOn't listen to the pharmacists, it's okay to take both the red and blue pills.

    Oh, but put on some Allman Brothers first and lie back...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I turn off streetlights, too. Careful reading of Harry Potter books leads me to believe that there is a wizard nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What's really weird is that for years, nothing ever happened when I opened the freezer door, other than cold air coming out and seeing frozen things therein. But since we got our new refrigerator, every.single.time I open the freezer side, a light comes on inside. Eery, and yet oddly functional.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I always thought that was Bob Dole driving with the indicator blinking blinking blinking... Do you drive a Buick as well?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I used to think I had too much electricity in my body, but....

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_light_interference

    I was kind of bummed after reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOL, glad to know that streetlight thing happens to someone other than me!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.