Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Go Run


I don’t know about you but I want to go out and run right now.

I don’t remember where I first saw that video but everyone that has recently posted it on their blog kept saying that they stole it from someone else, I tried following the links so that I could give credit to the original poster but it got boring quickly. So if you would like credit for that video just claim it in the comments and it will be just as if I gave you the credit myself. During my endless clicking through blogs I did however, discover something worth sharing with you.

I’ve always maintained that if you ever take the time to read an elite athlete’s blog you will be bored to tears. Every one I’ve ever tried to read has been dryer than a Chicago Marathon water stop. It appears that I’m going to have to modify my thinking on this issue though. Allow me to introduce Chuckie V and Tim Luchinske. Chuckie V is, according to his own words “... a has-been pro triathlete/cyclist and past Ironman winner.” Tim Luchinske’s blog tells us that he’s a “15 time Ironman, ex-professional triathlete.. [who is] switching to the marathon. In my 3rd attempt I placed 5th at the Denver marathon in 2:30.” Well I’m sorry to tell you Tim, but you didn’t finish in Denver until AFTER I had already finished. (Editor’s Note: I only ran the half marathon.)

Both of their blogs are quite funny and they give advice that is actually worth listening to, unlike my advice which usually consists of things like “be careful not to pee on your shoes” or “don’t jump onto a moving treadmill”. In one post on Tim Luchinske’s blog he talks about showing up at a 10K race, checking out the competition at the starting line and figuring that he could probably win. Ho Hum. No big deal. He then goes on to win in a time of 33:00. Yeah, I hate him too. Although I must admit I do the same thing at all my races. I check out the runners who are there and as I make my way back to the 9:00 minute/mile pace corral I think to myself “crap, if those 300 people ahead of me hadn’t shown up I might have had a shot at winning my age group.”

9 comments:

  1. I follow their blogs they are great. I got to tell you they aren't as funny as you thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy @#$%! That is the greatest video ever!
    I might watch that every single day before my race!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great video and appreciate the links.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul (Recovering Runner) had that baby up last week?!? Yeah, that HAD to have hurt. OUCH!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does Garmin have a name yet?

    I believe I'm also supposed to alert you that I have tagged you on my blog. Try not to pee your pants, I know it's exciting.

    Also...just a quick plug for Nancy's great 8 on the 8th run..because well you are a popular guy and I'm sure more folks will want to join if you mention it. Maybe this could be the first test of you selling out to make money. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard that some pro runners show up to some events -- assess the crowd and if they spot those who they know will beat them, they just go home.

    Which I think is stupid. Shouldn't they assess that as a challenge?

    Like your analogy about the dry Chicago water stop. I may steal that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must have that song for my iPod. Does anyone know what it is?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reluctant, that song is Lose Yourself by Eminem. It's a great song to run to and I have it on my MP3 player too. While you're at it you should also check out 'Til I Collapse and Cleanin' Out My Closet both by Eminem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I run a race called the Ultimate Runner every year (you run the mile, 800m, 400m, 100m, and then a 5K) and that is my mile song. Keeping up with the beat will keep you under 6 minutes.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.