Monday, July 23, 2007

Runner’s Creed

Old Shoes, New Shoes. Dull Shoes, Bright Shoes.

These are my shoes.
There are many like them, but these ones are mine.
My shoes are my best friend. They are my life. I must master them as I must master my life.
My shoes, without me, are useless. Without my shoes, I am useless.*

As you can probably guess from the picture above I bought new shoes over the weekend. My old shoes have served me well, but they now have over 430 miles on them and a little bit of pee. Yes, you read that right, but I'll have more about the pee thing in tomorrow's post. I bet you can't wait can you?

I went to a running store and had them fit me for a new pair of shoes. It was the first time that I've done this and I got to wear several different running shoes on a treadmill that they filmed and then analyzed. The analysis was a little difficult due to my 4 year old figuring out where the camera was and continually poking his smiling mug into the shot and waving, but we found out that I'm pretty average. Imagine that, the guy whose moniker is Vanilla is plain and average. Shocking. Essentially we found several pairs of shoes that would work for my gait including the same pair of Asics that I was retiring but I wanted something that looked a little different.

I ended up buying a pair of the Mizuno Alchemy's. Alchemy, as you probably know is the medieval science of turning baser metals into gold, which is ironic because that's how I intend to pay for the shoes. I have some lead that I can use but just need to get my hands on that formula. If you have access to the formula for this please post it in the comments section.

*Adaptation of the Rifleman's Creed (AKA My Rifle, AKA The Creed of The United States Marine)

6 comments:

  1. Weird. I have Mizunos but am soon to be switching over to Asics because Mizuno went and broadened the dumb toebox...If you find the formula, please let me know. I have to buy my shoes in pounds sterling. It's killin' me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a little bit of pee. you're a comedic genius.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I just picked up some shoes not that long ago. I always look forward to it, but with my 3 year old, it wasn't quite as uplifting. I wonder what stories your new pair experience. Can't wait to hear about pee...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nora, I have wide feet (not freakishly wide or anything) so that's probably why I liked the Mizuno's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to hear about the pee!!! And why only a "little"? You may as well just went for the whole bladder's worth :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am enjoying your blog Van'. Thanks for the link on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.