Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Back to Asics

Despite the fact that my Mizunos only have 325 miles on them, they are just killing the balls of my feet on longer runs and they have been for quite some time. When I told the guy at the running store this he agreed with me that Mizunos do in fact “suck more than the suckiest suck that ever sucked!” I think that was the technical term that he used. We also agreed that anyone who likes Mizunos is a good for nothing, low-life, under-achieving simpleton. I know from your comments and blogs that many of you just love your Mizunos so I’m sorry that you had to hear that from me. It must be tough to find out the sad truth about yourselves from a blog.

OK, maybe Mr. Running Shoe Guru said something more along the lines of the Mizunos being designed for a heel-striker, and that I would break them down a lot faster as I have become more of a forefoot runner since I bought them. Maybe he said that they were good shoes for some folks but just not for me. I was reading between the lines, I know what he meant.

One thing that I think we can all agree on is that buying new shoes is like runner’s crack. I get high off it and I don’t want to stop at just one pair. I tried on so many different shoes last night that I simply couldn’t make up my mind which ones to buy. I was like the over-sympathetic dog lover picking out a puppy at the pound. “Can’t I just take them all home?”

I finally bonded with a pair of the new Asics 2130 GTs and thought that I was done, but the store carried them in several different colors. Running is not just about being fast it’s also about looking good, so choosing the right color shoe is just as important as choosing the right type of shoe (motion control, stability, cushioning, trail etc.). I settled on the blue and white ones that you see in the picture.

I’m excited to run in my new shoes, I’m excited to be going back to Asics as I have had good success with them in the past, but most of all I’m excited for my balls not to ache after long runs... balls of my feet... the balls of my feet ache after long runs!

28 comments:

  1. Ohhhh snap! I think you opened a big ol' can with that one.

    I loved my Asics because they are really cute, but they just were not right for my perfect feet, perfect stride and my perfect foot strike.
    OK - not really perfect. But a girl can dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "One thing that I think we can all agree on is that buying new shoes is like runner’s crack." Too true, my friend, too true. I'm headed to Hazelton next week for treatment of just such an addiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me know how they work out for you. I skipped the 2120s and am now running in Brooks. If Mizunos are the suckiest to suck, Brooks is not far behind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Runner's Crack! I love it. Wonder what kind of hits you are going to get with that one.

    I'm totally with ya on reading between the lines. I probably do it a bit too much. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was steered away from Mizunos, I can't stand Asics, but New Balance and Brooks have treated me well. At least as well as crack can treat someone. Congrats on the new shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my Asics GT-2110s. I've had a few pairs, and they're always great. However, I'm due for a new pair soon, and I'm planning to get a full fitting done with some other shoes to see if there's anything else I love. Will keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, totally gotta stick to what you know. I tried Mizunos also and returned them 2 days later for Nikes, which I had been wearing before. I will never stray again. You hear that Nike reps? Now gimme some coupons or something LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's hard to tell from the picture, but I'm not seeing a crater for snow? What, no more running in pumps for you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm an Asics girl myself. I work on the assumption that they are the brand of the physically and morally superior runner ... but that's mostly just to bug my Saucony-wearing husband.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I talked to our local running store about the mizunos and the heel/snow problem. And they told me. Mizuno are aware of the problem. But design there shoes for non-snow conditions ... basically they are making enough money not to change.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Runner's crack sounds more like an issue with the elastic in your pants.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hmph...said the die hard Mizuno fan.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Asics have got me to the finish line more than most!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank goodness I like my Sauconys. Now please don't tell me that they suck worse than Mizunos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Buying new running shoes IS like crack, so I always find myself buying two pairs at a time with the intention of rotating them. Which is like buying two dime bags or two hits, because you'll need more later.

    Yeah, right.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent choice, Vanilla. I sport those exact same shoes; they're the secret to my success.

    Let me give you a tip: don't run your stubble 5k in your 2130's, you won't be able to beat it unless you strap rockets to your feet!

    ReplyDelete
  17. w00t - I have new shoes too.
    What a coincidence.
    (Big word for a blogger.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was a Nike lover for years, but once I went Asics I've never looked back. Hope those balls quit aching asap!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wore asics for the first year or so of running. Then I found my Brooks Trance. It was love at first sight!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope you're letting the old ball aching shoes see the new shoes... That'll teach them for being the "suckiest suck"!

    ReplyDelete
  21. They sure do look fast you should shave a half a minute off just with the updated style.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I heart Asics and will never run in anything else. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree totally about the Mizunos. I had ONE pair and loved how cushiony they felt, even ran a marathon in them but they were QUICKLY toast. They don't last long and I've hear others say that they are good for short distances, that's it.

    I never walk out of a Fleet Feet without buying at least 2 prs. Yes, it is like crack! :P

    ReplyDelete
  24. Went to a presentation from the ASICSs sales rep for the southern region last week, pretty interesting to hear what he had to say about all brands of shoes. One question that was asked about shoes is the insert in them. He said that all shoe manufacturers insert the cheapest inner sole that they can because the retailers want them too. The retailers make money on the inserts. He said that changing the inner sole is well worth the $10 to +$50 bucks you will spend.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've had a long and stormy love affair with Asics. I keep eyeing other brands but always end up back in my trusty old 2120's. I hope you and your 2130s are very happy together!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I posted something similar last week about my shoe whore incident at the running store. I ended up settling for a new pair of my old shoes. http://30yofseeksmarathontorun.blogspot.com/2008/01/new-shoes.html

    Had to order them and they still aren't here! I feel so lost......

    ReplyDelete
  27. I wish I liked shopping for running shoes better--I feel torn between wanting something awesome and high end and feeling ripped off if I pay full price. (I also wear the "wrong" size because I like more toe room and it drives salepeople crazy.

    Ordering off the internet is a great alternative when I already know what I want, but they keep changing the dang styles on me. Glad you found a brand that works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I feel your pain, like it or hate it, I too have gone back to ASICS and I can already feel the difference

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.