Monday, January 21, 2008

CLIF Bar® Releases A New Recovery Drink

I was at the liquor store earlier this morning, as I often am on weekdays, preparing to honor Martin Luther King Jr. Day when I came across the following:


I took the picture on my camera phone so you’ll have to forgive the image quality (as always you can click to enlarge).

That is a bottle of 2003 vintage kit’s killer cab from the CLIF Bar Family Winery. You can read more about the CLIF Bar family wines at their website http://www.cliffamilywinery.com/. Kit’s killer cab is described on the website as “deep red in color with floral aromas of vanilla, dense ripe fruit and spicy nuances of black raspberry. The palate is vibrant and concentrated with flavors of chocolate, mocha and dried cherries that lead to a soft, velvety and lingering finish.”

I don’t know about all that, but then again I’m no sommelier. What I can tell you is that it makes for a fantastic recovery drink. After a quick run this afternoon I was feeling a little soreness in my legs and decided to try out my newly found sports drink, my Cabern-ade Sauvignon. This stuff works great! I was barely done with the bottle when I realized that I had completely forgotten about the pain in my legs. In fact I had completely forgotten about the run, I had even forgotten why I was drinking this delightful recovery elixir in the first place, and why the room was spinning.

At $36.99 a bottle it’s a little bit more pricey than the Gatorades, Powerades, and Accelerades of the world, but I’m still going to give it my full endorsement. The CLIF Bar kit’s killer cab receives the official Half-Fast seal of approval. The only upgrade that I would recommend would be to add some kind of a sport nozzle to the bottle.

In case you’re thinking that I’m an idiot for calling a 2003 vintage a ‘new release’ in my headline, well, you may be right but I couldn’t really care less what you think. I guess that’s one of the other benefits of the CLIF Bar cab.

19 comments:

  1. Is there any need to recover the day after, though?

    Funny! I should probably not have taken that big gulp of coffee before I read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO! That is some pricey stuff. Way over my $9.99 good stuff budget. Cool, that the wine has a vanilla aroma, how appropriate:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny! You know if they paired that bottle with a suitable hydration belt, they may just have a new product to push at the next expo. Now that would make for a memorable marathon, or maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a sommelier in the making....

    I've developed quite a taste for the recovery drink. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's MY kind of recovery drink!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know there are other recovery drinks with similar effects...mai tai, margarita, mojito, and the list goes on. I suggest you try a different one after each run to determine which one is really the best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I first read the bottle I thought it said Kilts kill crabs. Which sent my imagination to scottish men in their highland best ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must try this Cabern-ade.
    I do run for wine. I even have a shirt that says so :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep trying to sell my idea of electrolyte-laced *adult* beverage to manufacturers, but it's not taking off. Maybe this is the first step to getting a real recovery drink for the real athletes out there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 36.99 is a bit pricy. Does it come in a box?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Any chance they'll be making Cliff Blocks out of this stuff???

    ReplyDelete
  12. finally, you are speaking my kinda recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Why did you wait til after the run for it's recovery effects? Can't you train yourself to carry a bottle in your hand as you run?

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's AWSOME!!!!...for me at least. Mormons can drink as many recovery drinks as we can stomach. My life is about to get a lot more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Funny as your post is, I've known about this for years! But thanks for spreading the word to the unknowing. Nothing like a post-run recovery drink and a soak in the hot tub to cure anything that ails you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What's next? An UnderArmor wine carry-all?

    Very, very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sweet! A few months ago we had the study promoting the good effects of beer for post race recovery and now good news for wine. Life just keeps getting better!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.