Friday, June 26, 2009

What Can You Say?

This is a running blog. Occasionally I get sidetracked with other topics but even then they are usually loosely related to running. With that in mind I started out to write a post about running today, I was going to completely avoid the subject of Michael Jackson because there’s really no way to tie it to running other than to say I have some of his songs on my running playlist. The thing is, it feels wrong to me to just ignore it outright and not say anything about his tragic passing last night. That’s how big Michael Jackson is. That’s how much of an impact he had on this world. There is no reason whatsoever that I should be feeling compelled to talk about Michael Jackson today on a running blog, any yet here I am babbling incoherently about him. Perhaps that’s the biggest compliment I can pay him, he is too big of an icon to ignore.

R.I.P. Michael Jackson, The King of Pop.

Is there any cooler dance move than the moonwalk?

In running related news, Kristina, the marathon mama has finally moved to her new blog that you should totally check out and subscribe to in your reader. The name of her new blog is Marathon Mama, which you might be thinking is the same as the old name but you’re wrong. The old blog was called ‘the marathon mama’ which is significant because if you order your blogroll alphabetically, as I do, it means that she just jumped up a few spots. She’s crafty. Kristina, I will always remember that you started Marathon Mama on the day that Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett died.

12 comments:

  1. As cool as it was, The Robot is still a cooler dance move. A robot ending with a broken elbow joint.

    The sad thing is that the 2 celebrity deaths knocked Kristina's big news off the lead for the nightly gossip/celebrity shows like Entertainment Tonight. It's all about timing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor MJ. Poor Farrah. Bummer for Kristina.. :) Thanks for the new links!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She should immediately change the name of her blog to "A Marathon Mama" or sew dozens of seemingly useless zippers onto a red technical t-shirt. Micheal Jackson, whatever he was, came as a shock - and I'm not only talking about his passing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Egads. Farrah I will miss. Ed McMahon I will miss. But Jackson? I don't think so. Lots of people make a big impact on the world in their lifetime, but its not always good. Children of the world are safer now that he is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was in love with Michael Jackson when I was 9. And, I always wanted to have Farrah's hair.

    Both are tragedies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huge loss for the music industry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't get past the creepy kid touching, but he did bring a lot to the music industry, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. XC2- You had the misfortune of being in the generation that only remembers him as exceptionally creepy.

    After I saw MJ on Motown 25 and he did the moonwalk, I was hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is truly a tragedy, by which I mean your oversight in not calling me Pretty Young Thing while associating my blog relocation with MJ's death. But hey, thanks for the announcement anyway. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that no matter how strange MJ's life got later on, we can't avoid how huge his impact on music and pop culture were. And I think for a lot of us, when someone who was hugely famous when we were kids dies, it feels like a small piece of our childhood dies with that person.

    ReplyDelete
  12. And now Billy Mays?

    What is this world coming to?

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.