Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Things I Imagine While Running

When I was little I was in Cub Scouts, along with various other youth programs all designed to stop you from becoming the kind of adult that I became anyway. The motto of the Cub Scouts, which they drilled into our heads during my short time there is Be Prepared. You might have already known that. It was a motto that I took to heart and one that I still believe in today. Part of being prepared is imagining all of the worst case scenarios that could come your way and figuring out how you’ll deal with them. I employ this technique when I’m running.

For example, I often find myself out running when it’s dark. This is when there are unsavory characters lurking around every corner to get you so it is especially important to be prepared. Each cyclist that you pass could be a terrorist in disguise, sent to take you captive. That woman walking her dog could be an Al Qaeda operative whose mission is to rub you out. When I run at night I imagine that each pedestrian that I pass is a mortal enemy. I look around for reflective surfaces so that I can keep an eye on them without alerting them to my alertness. After they pass me I know that they are circling back around to attack but my Spidey senses are tingling and I feel the danger coming. As though I have eyes in the back of my head I deftly duck out of the way of their initial blow and then turn my defensive maneuver into a deadly counter attack. I spin around with lightening quickness and take the highly trained, combat-hardened terrorist completely by surprise. I execute a roundhouse kick with Chuck Norris-like perfection that catches my assailant squarely in the jaw. Stunned but not knocked out, the terrorist stumbles backwards and I immediately pounce and pummel them with brutal body blows from my steely fists. I put the terrorist in a choke hold and demand that he tell me who sent him. Seriously guys, I make Jack Bauer look like limp-wristed mama’s boy.

Later I’ll give an interview on TV where you’ll still be able to see my bloodied knuckles and sweat drenched shirt. I’ll describe in the most nonchalant fashion how I captured the most highly sought after man in the US and got critical information out of him that will save countless lives. It’s thoughts like these that keep me at a heightened state of awareness when I run, I mean sure, sometimes I almost run right into other runners because I’m so immersed in my daydreams, but for the most part I’m super aware.

Of course none of this has ever actually happened. It usually turns out that my tingling Spidey sense was just indigestion and if anything like that ever did really happen I’d probably crap my pants and faint. Later that night the local news story would be about a heroic woman who revived a runner that had passed out and soiled himself for no apparent reason.

14 comments:

  1. Do you watch a lot of television?

    I am weary of slow moving vans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reality check: what criminal is going to expend energy to chase a sweat, half naked, middle-aged guy who isn't carrying anything of value beyond a watch that won't bring more than $10 at a pawn shop?

    There are much easier and more lucrative targets - like all the crap from Best Buy you left home alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic post!! Enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is exactly why I karate chop everyone that I pass in the neck. Why take the chance?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should work for TSA. You would be really good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, TSA needs the help. I sneaked a knife through TSA just last month. Had you seen me, you'd have crapped your pants and I would have accidentally dropped the knife from my pocket as I bent over to wretch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good thing you reined it in the last 2 paragraphs. I had a "someone's overcompensating" comment just waiting there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is supposed to look as if I am diligently working. These sudden outbursts of laughter are completely unacceptable. You, too, Viper.

    Seriously, seriously funny:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha, man on a mission ... funny though how running in the dark can liven things up a bit eh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LMAO!

    And here when I'm out running in the dark I just start picking out places the kidnappers will drag my body so I can inform my roommate who thinks I have a twisted/morbid sense of humor...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have found the perfect solution to all my imaginary scenarios: brass knuckles under my running gloves. They never see that one coming.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hahaha this is why I wear all black and turn off my headlamp when I run at night. That way, should the serial killer come after me I can melt into the darkness. All my other runner friends tell me this is how you get hit by cars, but I'd rather be hit by a car than attacked by a serial killer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're the right kind of crazy.
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.