Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Radar Love

I have a new running partner who is always really excited to go run. The downside is that this new running partner often has to stop and poop while we’re running. No, it’s not Beth, it’s our new dog.

Back in September of last year we lost our 11 year old Alaskan Malamute to a combination of illnesses and old age and it’s not an exaggeration to say that our family was devastated. (Pictures and stories about him here and here.) Initially I told Candis I wouldn’t be able to own another dog for at least a year and she heartily agreed, suggesting that it might be even longer. After a month and a half without a dog the house was feeling pretty empty and we started looking at animal shelter websites. Two weeks after that we were visiting animal shelters in person and fell in love with a 9 month old Boxer/Australian Cattle Dog mix. I’d like to introduce you to the newest member of our family and my new running partner, Radar:


Why did we name him Radar? Take a look at those ears!


Other than the pooping he’s been great to run with thus far. It only took him a couple of months (and a lot of cursing) to figure out that I didn’t want him to cross right in front of me while we’re running. He’s also picked up this annoying habit of pooping twice when we run in the mornings which was especially unfortunate the first couple of times since I was only carrying one poop bag. True story, one time he pooped on the lawn in front of a competitor bank and I happily left it there. Do you ever wonder what dogs are thinking when they see us picking up their fecal matter? Do they think we’re saving it for some reason or collecting it? It must seem weird.

I’ll leave you with one final picture of him trying to look like Scooby Doo.

19 comments:

  1. That is seriously one cute dog!!! I have a boxer that I just love, but those ears! Oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, he is adorable.

    We did the exact same thing. When Lucy passed away in May lf '09, we said it would be a while before we were ready again. But we had no idea what to do with ourselves without a dog. Two weeks later we were on petfinder.com. Within just a few days we adopted Bella, and then Harley just a few months later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some comedien - can't remember who but it wasn't The Situation - once commented that, if aliens ever visited Earth, they would think dogs run things here based on the fact that they are often leading us on walks while we trail behind carrying a bag of their poop. Kings don't carry poop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. RAD(ar) dog you have there! See what I did? I used RAD, but tacked on the "ar" for you. I win funny points.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so jealous - I want a dog to run with VERY badly.

    When I was still working for an airline, I looked into whether I was allowed to take a dog free with me on flights, so I could become the first to run all 50 states WITH A DOG... but sadly, I wasn't allowed to bring a dog on most flights. There went that dream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty much everyone in your home is faster than you.

    Seriously, Radar looks like a great training buddy and I'm sure the family is glad to have him around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww...love this dog:)) You are very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry about the loss of your dog. Mine decided it was time to go last August. I still haven't been able to replace her, but I'm very, very glad that you've found someone who will fit into your family.
    Plus, he's cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried running with my dog. She would lay down in the middle of a run and refuse to get up. I'd get mad at her and force her to keep going. Then I found out she had hip dysplasia. I felt like a horrible dog Mom. To make it up to her, we now let her sleep on the couch whenever she wants ... which is all day, every day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love him!!! You are lucky he is a good running partner. I wish I could run with my pups. They are short-legged, fat little doggies...a Jack Russell and a beagle, which means they are only good for about 2 miles, and all they do are sprint, come to an abrupt stop, sniff, pee and/or poo, repeat. Forget about it when they see squirrels..they are just like the dogs in "Up"..."Squirrel!!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! My dog is my best running partner, EVER!
    I do think it's kind of funny when he poops, takes a couple of steps and waits for me to pick it up. I'm not sure what he thinks of it, but he's definitely aware of me doing it.
    Congratulations of the new pup. Enjoy the new life he'll bring to your house. Love his ears and his name. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there!

    Your post made me really laugh! Especially the bit where you said about what dogs think when we pick up their poo! I always think about that when I do.

    Believe me, I have 3 basset hounds and my backyard is a poo factory!

    Beautiful dog you have there! I wish I can take my dogs for a run but with those short basset legs, I won't get very far!

    It sounds like you are quite a healthy person in general and that is a great way to inspire people to get the cardio going. You make it fun and people should always realize that!

    Thank you for the post. I really enjoyed it.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  13. How I wished I had a dog to run with instead I am stuck with a pace group. Sometimes they stop to poop as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That dog is ah-dor-able!!!!! LOVE the ears. There's a book you might like called "The Art of Racing in the Rain" which is all about a dog and what he thinks about life. Trust me, you'll love it.
    BTW I'm your newest follower! Check out my blog and follow me back! ALSO if you're ever looking for a guest blogger, I'm your girl! Cheers!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on your new partner. He's so cute and I love the name you picked for him, although he does look like Scooby.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I suppose running wíth a dog, is different than running into one. As a runner, dogs scare me quite a lot, as they always charge at me yapping wildly.

    However, with a dog I might dare taking the scenic route more often.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great looking dog! Enjoy your runs :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a handsome dog! Sounds like he has a great personality too.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.