Thursday, March 10, 2011

Morning Running

Those of you who have been following me for any length of time know that I’ve had an on again off again (and on again and off again) relationship with morning running that is kinda back on again. The good thing about morning running is that when I get home from work I can lounge about and do nothing. The benefit of evening running is that it allows me to repeatedly abuse the snooze button in the morning. It’s probably not a good sign for me that the best part of my day is the part where I’m not running. So, why am I running in the mornings again? I’m glad you asked.

One of the things that happens as you get older other than the fun new games you get to play like ‘gray hair or sun bleached hair?’ and ‘hey, I’ve never noticed hair growing there before’ is that your evenings seem to fill up with all manner of family activities that prevent you from running. My kids are 6 and 7 and they love sports and I love that they love sports but you know what I don’t love? Practices. Just call me Allen Iverson. They’re 21 months apart which means that they play at different age levels and have different practice nights and we move from basketball to soccer to baseball to flag football to indoor soccer and then back to basketball to start ALL OVER AGAIN. We actually had them convinced not to play basketball this season and I was looking forward to some more me time but then their school friends convinced them that they should play. It just doesn’t stop, and more importantly it’s really interfering with daddy’s running. And don’t even get me started on the concerts, plays, parent teacher conferences and puppy training classes that fill up the rest of the evenings.

If I don’t get a run in first thing in the morning then it’s not happening and I’m not going to lie, there have been plenty of days lately where it hasn’t happened. Of course with daylight savings coming up next weekend it will start to get easier to run in the evenings (read: easier to hit the snooze button). Morning running, ha! More like mourning running, amiright?

7 comments:

  1. [[[Ok it's a start, but it's not going to last 30+ days....i'm just say...]]]

    totally related to the whole morning/evening running thing. I am always puzzled by why sleeping an extra hour is so much more appealing than getting up and getting that run in. I always feel much, much better the whole rest of the day if I do my running in the morning, whereas that extra hour of sleep doesn't really do much of anything for me, so the reward is there. Yet I struggle every morning with "run now? run later?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised that you of all people don't have a fix for that. Why not make the kids run to practice with you! If you do that enough days, maybe they'll be too tired to practice and they'll get kicked off the team. Problem solved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could have waited 10 days and made a full two months between posts.

    Why not just make the family join some fringe religion that doesn't allow organized sports? There is no I in team, which is why I am not on one. (Disregard my blog title.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dilemmas of our troubled lives. I have to say there are definitely different rituals for morning/evening runs. And it takes at least two weeks to fully adapt to running at one time or the other, in my experience that is...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is your fault. I have to believe you have encouraged your kids to both participate in sports and to have friends. Seriously reconsider your tactics my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just mentioned you in my latest blog post along with a parenting tip I think you would like:
    http://www.50by25.com/2011/03/race-report-well-run-for-beer.html

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.