Monday, June 23, 2008

Getting Back on the Wagon

To say that I’ve fallen off the running wagon over the last couple of weeks would be an understatement. In true Half-Fast style, I dove headlong from the wagon with wild abandon and then shoved it over a ravine. I’m cringing at the thought of having to post my June running log because it will expose me as the slacker that I am. I suppose that I could point out how it might be beneficial to take a week or two away from running in order to recharge my legs but if this were an intentional break I would have been doing some sort of cross training to maintain my fitness.

The good news here is that I’m back to running again. I realize that I never really told you that I had stopped running, and in a way I didn’t. I just had other things get in the way like 10 year anniversary celebrations, and sleeping in. I never really “skipped” any runs I just postponed them, I still have 5 or 6 of them from the past two weeks that I’m planning on catching up on. Maybe I’ll do them all at once.

This week is going to be tough as I’m back at work after a week off and I have a lot of e-mails that I’m ignoring right now in order to write this post. I’ll also be traveling to Salt Lake City on business for a couple of days but I’m determined not to miss postpone any more runs so if any of you know any good places to run in SLC then be sure to let me know in the comments. Also, if anyone knows where I can get my hands on some coffee in SLC that would be helpful, because I couldn’t find a Starbucks to save my life last time I was there.

21 comments:

  1. Hooray for getting back on the wagon! I did that this morning. Unfortunately, I have a marathon coming up on Sunday, so it may be too late...

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck on getting your caffeine fix in utah. my cousin at byu sometimes has to drive to the next county to buy cases of dr pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where are you staying in Salt Lake? I know some great places to run here. What's your pace like? Maybe I'll join you. It's been hot, so bring your amphipod or however you hydrate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back...glad to see you survived without your runs! :)
    ~K

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where in SLC are you staying? These are the Starbucks I go to when I am up there:
    1830 South 300 West
    2100 South 700 East
    15th & 15th
    700 East 400 South

    Beans and Brews is also good, 268 South State Street.

    Good luck finding one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. starbucks is all over SLC. you might want to get on their website and do a store locater, but i promise they are there. i know there's one at the gateway mall, which is a really cool outdoor mall. there's this big water fountain that all the kids play in... maybe you should do a stationary run there since it's like 100 degrees with 0 humidity there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm staying downtown at the Hotel Monaco, 15 W 200 S is the address.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What, no desert run in Vegas?

    Good luck getting back into the groove.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Forget the Starbucks. Where's the DD's?!?! Traitor!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm working on that wagon thing myself. It's dreadful getting back on. Good luck. Have a good trip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've fallen off the wagon before too. Wait. That was the metaphor for abstaining from alcohol. Oh, I've fallen off the running wagon too. In fact, I've fallen off more wagons than I care to count.

    The best thing is this: You got back on. That's always what counts. (Although, not with the alcohol metaphor -- because being off the wagon is the most fun with that one.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck running in the heat of SLC. I do not envy you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. there's a pretty decent paved bike path that runs along a creek for several miles.

    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=12769077180714869046,40.760659,-111.923379&saddr=15+W+200+S&daddr=40.760659,-111.923379&mra=pi&mrcr=0&sll=40.760521,-111.923389&sspn=0.005827,0.013593&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=15

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. eep! sorry about that url. try this:

    http://tinyurl.com/6mvr3j

    ReplyDelete
  15. If you're not gonna run anymore, could I have one of your Garmins?

    I'd bring a coffee pot and French Roast ground, just in case. Those folk aren't likely to stock the stuff. Word is, all of the caffeine is replaced with decaf. It's just not *common* knowledge.

    shhhhhhhh

    ReplyDelete
  16. Vanilla, don't be rash. Is it really worth it to trade your eternal salvation for a Grande Carmel Machiatto???

    Fine, it is. Have one for the Mormon girl, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A little break to the muscles is ALWAYS a good thing. Even unplanned. They could use some time off and you'll come back and start running and they will be well rested :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Welcome back...now get to running!

    ReplyDelete
  19. No use crying over split (skippied) milk (runs). It's udderly useless.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Starbucks..I thought they were everywhere. Welcome back to running. I'm sure it missed you during the potponement period.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.