Friday, June 20, 2008

Vegas Baby!

Right now I’m typing this on my blackberry while sitting next to the Planet Hollywood pool in Las Vegas. My ever-supportive wife is swimming laps in an attempt to off-set the all you can eat sea food buffet we ate at the Rio last night and in preparation for the all you can eat breakfast buffet at the Bellagio that we’re planning tomorrow morning. I swam a couple of laps before deciding that doing cannonballs was more fun. I also spent some time at the bottom of the deep end pretending that I was an astronaut in a weightless environment and I have to tell you that peeing in outer space is not as tough as I’d heard.

We’re here in Vegas under the guise of our 10 year anniversary indulging in various debaucheries like eating fried stuff with cheese, and ordering our coffee with whole milk (gasp!), and ingesting dessert after every meal (yes, even breakfast), and also, not running at all. It’s 107 degrees so running is out of the question, unless you are outside your mind. I planned on swimming a little to maintain my current fitness level, and now that that’s out of the way, it’s onto the buffets. Maybe 2 laps isn’t enough to “maintain fitness” but that’s OK. I’ve never been one to back away from a challenge, well except for that one time when that chick wanted to arm wrestle, but that wasn’t so much “backing” away as it was turning and running. I’m telling you I thought she was challenging me to a footrace.

Anyway, my challenge is going to be re-gaining the fitness that I’ve lost during this time in Vegas and getting myself ready for the Georgetown Half Marathon that’s coming up. I like to do things the hard way, which is why I’ve run a total of 10 miles in the last two weeks and jumped on the Chris Farley diet (may he rest in funny peace).

Sorry if this post is kind of short but I’m typing it on a freaking blackberry and it’s been 20 minutes since I ate something bad for me so I need to rectify that immediately. In the meantime, here are some quick observations before I go upload this to my laptop and post it for your reading pleasure. Things that are different in Vegas: The law of escalators does not apply, maybe it evaporated in the heat with the impetus to wear appropriate clothing. Stand to the right, walk on the left, and lady you are way too big to be wearing a dress that short. Seriously, there were butt cheeks hanging down like the classy draperies that adorn our hotel windows.

19 comments:

  1. Oh I am so jealous. I love the food in Vegas. And the Bellagio buffet (at any time of the day) is to die for. They have the best desserts of all the buffets ... must stop drooling on computer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right about the escalators. Yes, let's all just stand around in the heat a little longer. Boy, you should have seen the stares I got from running up and down the steps.

    Thanks for the link. Have a blast, and I hope you found a bottle of your own to drink.

    Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eeeeeeewwwwwwwwww. Gross. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. put $10 on the Huskers for me to win the Big 12 North, would ya? I swear I'm good for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary Mr and Mrs Vanilla!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Envy...can you smell it from there? Oh how I wish I was back in vegas (without the classy ass drapes hanging around!) hahaha
    Have fun!
    ~K

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you there filming Oceans 14? Oceans 13 was so good we needed another.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like heaven. I could use a relaxing vaca after the non-stop sight-seeing in Scotland.

    Happy Anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. AHH. I love Vegas... we actually got married there (at the Venetian). Enjoy that crazy strip! Have a nutella crepe at the Bellagio for breakfast buffet dessert. It is AMAZING (assuming you like Nutella... but who doesn't?).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have not been to Vegas since I was stationed at Nellis AFB as a young lad in 1982-84. Ahhhhh the mammories, I mean the memories (ooops).

    Ya"ll have fun now, here?!

    Happy anniversary

    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dresses like that are the reason camera phones were made.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You two kids keep having fun! Happy 10th!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What happens in Vegas, stays there. So I assume that extra calories and zero exercise also stays there, so no fears about bringing back ass cheeks that look like drapes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can you post some pics for us Brits ?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you can consider Vegas buffets a type of endurance cross-training...right?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Anniversary.

    wha...you posted that whole thing from your Blackberry?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Multiple trips to the buffet is not consdered fitness? Dang!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey, I hope you enjoyed your time in Vegas... happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.