Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Reflections of a Runner

I’ve been running for a little over 3 years now, which is long enough for any self-absorbed, oxygen-usurper like me to feel like a little introspection is in order. As a pre-pubescent teen growing up in England I was given the option of going out for the cross country team, (“Oi, not bloody likely mate!”) or going out for the rugby team (“Right-oh then, where do I sign up for the running?”). I chose cross country, and despite the fact that I only did it for a few years before switching to another sport I’ve always liked running. I suspect that it may also have something to do with the fact that my Dad used to run a lot when I was younger. I always remember eating breakfast with him after he finished one of his runs, and how he’d be all sweaty while we choked down kippers and porridge, or maybe black pudding or toast with marmalade, which is obviously one of the lesser culinary atrocities that the Brits foisted upon us.

As far back as I can remember when the urge to exercise has struck, running has always been the activity that I’ve turned to, but it wasn’t until three years ago that it finally stuck. Three years ago I stopped saying that I was going to run the Bolder Boulder 10K ‘next year’ and I signed up for the race. I arrogantly anticipated that I’d just be able to go out and run 10 minute miles. After a few 4 mile training runs I realized that 10 minute miles were a long shot at best and I began a habit that has proven valuable in my running career to this very day: I lowered my expectations. My new goal was to run the whole distance without walking, and I succeeded to the tune of a 10:42 pace. (1:06:33 finish time.)

I determined that I was going to get faster and I believed that it was possible, not because I’m the kind of guy that can “achieve anything I set my mind to” or because “I believe in myself” mostly just because I have one of those fabulous male egos (seriously ladies, you should look into getting one). I like to think that I’m modestly vain. I don’t tend to be outwardly boastful (in person, anyway) or make claims that I’m the best, but internally I believe the hype. Internally, I don’t wonder “if” I’ll be able to run a 40 minute 10K someday, I wonder “when” that day will be.

Over the last 3 years I have gone from running the Bolder Boulder 10K in 1:06:33 (10:42 pace) to running it in 52:07 (8:24 pace), but it never seems to be good enough. Three years ago a 52 minute 10K sounded like an incredibly fast time, but now that I’ve accomplished it, it sounds less impressive. I’m just never satisfied (that’s what she said) with my race times anymore. If running is a woman then I’m it’s nitpicking mother complaining that “yes he’s a doctor, but it’s not like he’s a heart surgeon or anything!”

I’ve come along way, but I’ve still got a long way to go.

15 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. I'm training for my first marathon and have a goal to finish in under 4 hrs, and although to some that would be great in the back of my head I'm wondering when I'll qualify for Boston? As runners it seems we know that we’re achieving great things just by being out there but at the same time we can always be minutes faster or go miles further.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man a deep, reflective post from you...I'm not sure how I'm supposed to react to this. Can we get back to your snarky wise-assness tomorrow? haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not even kidding when I say I got halfway through your post and forgot which blog I was reading. I clicked through Google Reader kind of on autopilot, and I actually thought I was reading Frayed Laces for a minute, and I was like "wow, she's from England? Didn't know that!" Then you mentioned the Boulder Bolder and I thought "wait, what? Hawaii what?" You have confused me with your introspection!

    But I agree - nothing is ever good enough for me. I didn't think I'd be able to ever finish a marathon, but now I think my time is kind of pathetic so I want to beat it. Plus I've decided that (for myself - not necessarily for anyone else!) one marathon isn't a big accomplishment, so I want to be a 50 stater. Always striving for better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Laura said--always striving for better. If you stop having goals, what else is left? Nothing. But while you strive to improve your time, just try to remember how far you've come already. That's the hardest part most times.

    Where in England did you grow up, if you don't mind me asking?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I almost stopped reading halfway through the second paragraph. What the hell is this thoughtful schlock! But you recovered. Congrats.

    Hmm ... our 10K race histories are eerily similar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen, brother! Good post. England?? Didn't know that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am the same way. When I see my time, much of the time, I am thinking ,damn it! remember those 10 seconds that I walked to drink water? or why didn't I go faster in the middle! I've had a few runs where I finish and just feel that I've done my absolute best and feel good for a few weeks. Then I look at the time and think, hmm, that's OK, I could have done better though. It keeps us going.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post. It never seems like it is fast or long enough. I always want to go faster or longer

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's the beauty of running -- the wide breadth of room for improvement means that you're never satisfied and thus have no reason to quit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think what you have accomplished is wonderful and impressive! However, I know and understand the feeling of always wanting to do better and be faster!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was a great post but not quite snarky enough. Did your wife write it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Actually, I have one of those fabulous male egos...but I don't think it's a male thing...

    I think it's a runner thing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always suspected you have bad teeth. Now I know.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Low expectations...very important.

    BTW, do you have an English accent?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Even I have to admit that it was not exactly what I expected when I clicked on Half-Fast...but I agree. Actually, I have been wondering if I'd ever be satisfied with where I am in my running. I have done so much (3 marathons, BQ, sub 40 10-K, etc), but still feel like such a slow wuss when I think about the ultramarathoners or the elite runners who get to start at the front of every race.
    Nah, I guess I'd never be satisfied...just like you.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.