Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Thrīv

Six weeks ago I received an e-mail from a gentleman who was working for thrīv Natural Performance Wear and he of course loved my blog and wanted to give me a free thrīv workout shirt that I could write about. Not one to turn down free things I graciously accepted. After all, the motto that I live by is ‘if it’s free, it’s for me!’

According to their promotional materials, thrīv performance clothing is made from eco-friendly bamboo and cotton, so it’s far more natural and lightweight than synthetic polyesters. This unique fabric blend wicks sweat better than Under Armour, and it also has a higher SPF. It doesn’t hold in odors, and it’s extraordinarily soft. Making things out of bamboo is the in thing to do. We own bamboo sheets and my wife has a bamboo case for her iPhone which just proves how in touch we are.

As promised, the shirt was ridiculously soft and very lightweight. In fact, it was so soft that I didn’t even put Band-Aids on my nipples because I actually wanted them to rub up against the material as my chiseled man-pecs flopped around. I took the shirt out for a quick 3 mile test run and was pleasantly surprised to find that not only were both nipples intact when I arrived back home but they were also a little aroused which leads me to wonder when thrīv is going to start making bamboo performance underwear. Oh come on, you were thinking it too.

The major downside to the thrīv workout shirt is that it looks exactly like a T-shirt so I was forced to tell everyone that I ran past that it was a bamboo performance shirt lest they think I was some rookie runner out running in a plain cotton T-shirt. Other than that slight downfall, the shirt works great. I did notice that by the end of my run the shirt was sticking to the gorge between my sweaty man-pecs, so I’ll be keeping an eye out for that on future runs.

The only other negative thing that I can think to say about the shirt is that I’m getting a little tired of companies misspelling words, or spelling them phonetically. “Hey, let’s drop the e and put a macron over the i so that it’s still pronounced like thrive.” You know what this kind of irresponsible behavior leads to? It leads to people sending me texts that use ‘ur’ in place of ‘your’ or ‘prolly’ in place of ‘probably’ and it annoys the crap out of me. Guess wut? Ur prolly failing English 101. (Blegh, I feel dirty just typing that.) Yeah, I’m the guy who sends texts that use correct punctuation and uppercase letters to start sentences because dag nab it, proper punctuation is worth the extra 3 seconds that it costs me to type it! And quite frankly, I don’t want to be the kind of person who uses those cutesy shortcut words because once you start doing that you’re only one step away from being the guy that forwards e-mails chock-full of hamsters giving each other flowers with the subject line ‘jus 2 make u smile’. You make me sick!

Anyway, huge thanks go out to thrīv (which I’m pronouncing like shiv because it makes me want to drive one into my temple) for sending me the shirt. After this post it’s destined to be the last thing that they’re ever going to send me unless we count bad vibes or the cease and desist letter that their lawyer just started hastily typing upon reading this. The shirt rocks, even if it does look like a T-shirt.

26 comments:

  1. Ur blog rulz!

    Thumbs up for illiteracy. Of course, my verification word is 'duffshom' which I can't seem to find in the dictionary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...I got a Thriv shirt too! I LOVE it! It dries really quickly, did you notice that? And it doesn't get smelly. Not That I sweat OR get smelly. No, I don't.

    I am also a hater of the text shortcuts. It's like nails on a chalkboard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post... I know I'd love thriv shirts, even though I totally agree with u on text shortcuts. They make me cringe. I especially hate it when adults use it. See, we all went to school before texting was even born... we know better. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. the hamsters totally made me smile

    ReplyDelete
  5. capitalizing the starting word of each sentence is a non-ecofriendly move buddy. go ahead, waste a little more font. wait…isn’t it font seeps into the ground and poison us all? crap, I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You don't blog for ages yet you still get free stuff to whore out. Wtf!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My local running store cant say a sentence without the word bamboo in it. Because I refuse to jump on any bandwagon I have sworn off bamboo for life. Nobody tells me what is good for me. Nobody!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Product whore. Or maybe I should say "Prdct Whre." (I know, I know... takes one to know one)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Damnit! Xenia beat me to the punch. WTF indeed. Take another sabbatical. Maybe you'll get another free pair of Izumis.

    ReplyDelete
  10. prolly need 2 watch 4 pandas eating your shirt

    ReplyDelete
  11. The worst... when people right back "K" after you've made a statement that requires no confirmation. "k" Seriously?!?!?

    I so need to do my Thriv review too... I've had the shirt for weeks! Crap!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Likewise on the texting shortcuts.

    I really want a Thriv T shirt. I wonder if they're reading the comments section.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad someone else out there cares about the English language enough to spell shit right.

    Ugh.

    My theory about races handing out "technical tees" instead of the good old cotton ones is the exact reason you state here - because no one's ever going to run in a cotton T-shirt lest they be tagged a Rookie.

    Now, the fact that these technical tees are fitfully ugly pales in comparison to the horrors of them looking like regular T-shirts.

    No - that's a flaw those bamboo-shirt making tossers must fix prior to launch. ;)

    Nice blog, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. First they want us to run barefoot and now they want us to wear bamboo clothing.

    Pretty soon you'll have to drag a woman behind you by her hair to qualify for Boston.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whatever you do, don't pair the t-shirt looking tech shirt with your cargo shorts.

    And, no, that NEVER gets old. ;)

    K? K!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Geeezeeeee! You're tough. That hamster picture DID make me smile, oops, I mean, did make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ian, great post.

    Thanks for taking the shirt out for a run, and providing great feedback on the brand name and look of the shirt. Have you seen the other styles in the fall line? They look more "tech" than the basic shirt we sent you.

    Thank you also to the others that left comments--rest assured, we are listening. For those that are jealous of Half-Fast's free shirt, we are giving away more shirts, details are on our website.

    Best of luck in your training endeavors.

    And yes, we referenced Strunk & White's "Elements of Style" while writting this comment. K?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I concur with your analysis of bamboo garments and bedding. I have bamboo sheets, (many) shirts, and many bamboo socks. The socks are awesome.
    I got all my stuff at (can we leave a link? Guess I'll try)

    Oh, my next purchase is going to be the
    duvet cover

    ReplyDelete
  19. "Guess wut? Ur prolly failing English 101." - This is one of the funniest things I have read in a long time!

    Glad you like the shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  20. dang, can't u jst be a nice lil product ho? Okay, nevermind...the texting thing has been beat to death already. Sticking to Pec Valley is a deal-breaker for me. Not that I could afford anything outside of Walmart anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just thinking about reading text shortcuts make me cringe. Actually reading it? Ouch. Bamboo shirts...interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for standing up for the English language, and for subjecting your body to nipple massaging t-shirts. Er, sorry, I meant technical running shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wst Nile vrus is free too. Dnt wnt tht!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice prodct revew. Prolly if I misspell enuf words, they will send me a free Thriv shirt?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Agree entirely about txt language but can't believe that only one other comment asks if they make bamboo cargo shorts (that actually sounds painful)

    ReplyDelete
  26. What's really sad about the txt language is that my teacher friends are telling me kids thaink that is how you spell ur and prolly and turn in formal papers that way. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.