Thursday, November 19, 2009

Vanilla Has Left the Building

When I first started this blog I was bound and determined to remain anonymous, and I debated long and hard trying to find a nickname that would conjure up the idea that I was just an average, ordinary guy (of course, the truth is that I’m an extraordinary individual and well above average in every way but I didn’t want to seem too imposing to my average readers). I considered Average Joe, but it was too mundane, and somehow I ended up going back and forth between calling myself Plain Vanilla and Joe Vanilla which I realize now were both awful. Finally I decided to keep it simple and just go with Vanilla. Surely everyone would recognize that I was shooting for a plain, boring, average descriptor and not a washed up, over-exposed rapper, right? Right?

Anyway, about a month and a half and a couple of subscribers into writing the blog I posted a picture of my race bib and a link to the race website and that was pretty much the end of my anonymity. Not that people were rushing to discover who the genius was behind this rocking new Half-Fast running blog, but I knew from that point on that I wasn’t really anonymous any more. A couple of weeks later I even posted race pictures and kicked anonymity to the curb, but still went by the name Vanilla.

The reasons for using my real name have been mounting for quite some time. My wife, Candis, posts here and she uses her real name and refers to me by mine. Try as I might I can’t get her to call me Vanilla around the house. I used my real name when I was posting for Complete Running, I’m involved with a podcast (new episode coming soon) and it would seem absurd to go by Vanilla on the podcast. Finally, I suspect that many of you have acted on your stalker tendencies and looked up my real name. It feeds my ego to think that I’m cool enough for you to waste your time trying to learn more about me.

Despite all the mounting reasons to discard the name, I continued to go by Vanilla because there seemed to be some humor in it. I even managed to get a whole post out of it (and now I’ve gotten two out of it), then there was the whole Gorilla Ice thing which wouldn’t have worked as well if I wasn’t known as Vanilla.

It all ends today. Hello, my name is Ian Hunter, it’s a pleasure to meet you. If you want to know more about me then be sure to check out my Wiki page.

Update from thrīv: Someone from thrīv left a comment on my last post and they were pretty cool about the fact that I was mocking their name. Leaving me a smartass comment gets you another mention and another link. According to the comment they left, they’re giving away more shirts on their website, check it out:
Thanks for taking the shirt out for a run, and providing great feedback on the brand name and look of the shirt. Have you seen the other styles in the fall line? They look more "tech" than the basic shirt we sent you.

Thank you also to the others that left comments--rest assured, we are listening. For those that are jealous of Half-Fast's free shirt, we are giving away more shirts, details are on our website.

Best of luck in your training endeavors.

And yes, we referenced Strunk & White's "Elements of Style" while writting this comment. K?
Go check out their site for a free shirt and be sure to let them know that there’s only one t in writing. Maybe Strunk & White didn’t cover spelling.

21 comments:

  1. I just knew you were the front man for Mott the Hoople!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just knew someone was going to be me to a mott the hoople joke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer your code name. You'll always be boring old Vanill to me. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Brian. Now all of us boogaloo dudes will carry the news.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the link, signed up for a free shirt. Of course, I'll probably won't be the one selected, but worth a try, no?

    And I've heard your name mentioned so many times in your blog that I even forgot you went by Vanilla...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huh, funny, I call you names other than Vanilla all the time. But none of those were "Ian"...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I call you 'Ia'? For some reason, I've always had the urge to call you that...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome Ian. I am glad you were finally brave enough to emerge from the Vanilla closet you chose to hide in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I kind of always assumed it was a rapper-thing. huh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ian Hunter died in 1975.

    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0402842/bio

    Obviously you are taking on his persona - what is your REAL name?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to their site just because they mentioned Strunk and White! Nothing resonates more deeply with an English teacher!

    Oh, and "hi" Ian Hunter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. lies. lies. LIES.

    and fyi. the word verification had the word vag in it. why did i just laugh like a 15 year old boy. WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm...I wasn't expecting IT to be "Ian."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dude...I'm so impressed. I just love cricket. I never knew that was YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  15. If I remember correctly, you wanted to go by Vanilla on the podcast, but I made fun of you and you changed your mind immediately. I'm strangly powerful like that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can you be referred to as the blogger formerly known as Vanilla?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I thought this was going to be another one of these "blah blah, I'm quitting blogging, blah blah" posts.

    I was going to go a little postal if another one of the blogs that I read shut down!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I take it that you are not the Ian Hunter (impresario)...

    ReplyDelete
  19. hmmmm...all of a sudden this blog seems a lot less interesting. It will be fun to see if Razz breaks down and follows suit...my guess is he's not ready to take off his mask just yet (primarily because it matches his Spiderman undies).

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.