Monday, June 18, 2007

A New Half-Fast Training Plan

I need to come up with a new training plan so that I can run the Denver Half Marathon in October. With the Bolder Boulder over and my calendar devoid of a training schedule I find myself wondering when to run, and for how long, and at what speed... you get the point.

Because my longest run to date prior to the Bolder Boulder was 10 miles and a half marathon is only 3 miles longer than that I find myself thinking that it shouldn't be too hard to add 3 more miles. How hard can it be? This is how great champions think. I don't ask why? I ask why not? I don't ask what my country can do for me I ask what I can do for my country. I follow the lead of great men of action who fought on even in the face of many doubters. Men like the great General Custer, men like Peter McNeeley, men like Kevin Federline.

The next step in my quest for 13.1 is to find a training plan. I've considered Hal Higdon's Plan and the FIRST plan as well as just using the Runner's World SmartCoach again, but I haven't settled on one yet. I like to think I'm taking my time to select the best plan for me, but there's a better than average chance that I'm just a procrastinator who doesn't feel much like running. If you've trained for a half marathon let me know what program you liked and if you're a running coach perhaps you'd like to create me a custom plan. I'm ideally looking for one that requires very little training and provides through the roof fitness improvements. Your suggestions in the comments.

6 comments:

  1. i used the runner's world smart coach for both of my halfs...

    i figure these plans are just rough guides and i base my "real" plan on the 10% rule and the "how does my body seem to be adapting" rule.

    good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ran my first half last month. I also used Runners World. It got me to the finish line.

    I like your blog. Mine isn't as entertaining as yours! I'm at todayirun.blogspot.com.


    cnb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey man, thanks for checking out my blog!

    This is the first time I have ever even considered doing a blog, and it's actually been pretty fun and not as much 'hey look at me, I am SOOO cool' as I thought it would be.

    I'm going to link your blog to mine, and good luck in your 1/2 marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never, ever used a training plan. It works well for me...no trouble sticking to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, that's the best suggestion yet.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.