Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Runner’s Nod

We've all experienced it. It's the little wave or nod that you give to oncoming runners as you pass on the trail. For different runners the acknowledgement can vary but it means the same thing. It might be a full blown wave or a simple nod of the head, it may only be a flitting second of eye contact and an almost unnoticeable raising of the eyebrows but it's there. It's an acknowledgement that we're both runners. We're both part of something bigger.
I don't know who you are or what your political affiliation is.
I don't know if you run Ultra marathons or if you're training for your first 5K.
I don't know if you're listening to Eminem or Kenny Chesney
I don't know if you're a cat person or a dog person.
I don't know if you're a nice person or if you’re from New York.
I don't know if you floss regularly.
Heck, I don't even know if you're really a woman or if you're just tucked and taped.

All I know is that you're out running today, and that's enough for me. It warms the cockles of my heart and makes me feel like I'm being gently chucked on the chin when you acknowledge me on the trail. It makes me feel like warm cookies and milk, like I'm the only bee in your bonnet, I make a little birdhouse in my soul. It feels like sunbeams and snooze buttons, and if I ever don't give you the head dip, or the eye signal, or the chin nod then it's because I'm too focused or too tired and I know you understand.

3 comments:

  1. Do you give the nod to walkers as well? This is a question I have struggled with for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, you're my stalking target today. I'm all the way back to June. whooooooooooo

    I am a big fan of the "nod" or the wave. I get really pissed if someone doesn't do it. Bastards.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.