Friday, July 18, 2008

Elevation Profiling

Before every race I run I always like to make sure that I’ve looked at the elevation profile. It allows me to be prepared for the uphill sections that will no doubt slow my pace and shows me the downhill sections where I can make it up. Recently though, it seems that less and less races are putting their elevation maps online. Presumably the reason for this is because they know that I want to see one and they hate me. Either that or there isn’t enough of a demand for this information for them to take the 10 minutes that it would require to make it available. Whatever the case, it means additional work for me and the only thing I hate more than additional work for me is... well... nothing I guess.

I recently made mention of the fact that both halves of the upcoming Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon are downhill. For those of you shackled with the deductive reasoning skills of a Brussels sprout this is accomplished by the fact that the race is a point-to-point course starting in Georgetown (elev. 8500 ft) and finishing in Idaho Springs (elev. 7500 ft). That makes this race pretty much downhill all the way. Pretty much. Below you’ll find the Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon elevation map, courtesy of my work ethic.


You’ll notice that the first 2 miles are relatively flat, which is just a brutal way to have to start a race. What kind of sadistic race director starts you out on a flat surface? From there things just go downhill, literally. The plan is to try and conserve some of my energy on the slopes of miles 3 through 5 so that I’ll have the strength to get up that heartbreak of a hill at the 6½ mile mark. If you look really closely at the elevation map you’ll see the hill I’m talking about. *shudder* Obviously I don’t have to tell you guys that this course is not tailor made for setting a PR, but that’s exactly what I’ll be shooting for because I don’t back down from a challenge. I take the challenge by the horns and make it call me Daddy.

14 comments:

  1. Your quads will be in need of several stiff drinks after this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work Vanilla.

    also, I don't think you should be doing too much leading up top this race, no yard work or helping with the boys, or helping the wife for that matter. you'll need to reserve ALL of your strength for this horrendously long downhill run.

    rest, drink, maybe get a bell you can ding to be brought food & drink to save YOU more energy. I’ll be praying for you on the 6-7 mile mark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you checked out mapmyrun.com? They have a feature that shows the elevation profile of a run. Most of the races I do are already on there, so it cuts down on the extra work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks like a great race -- especially for sore quads and black toe nails! have a great run!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dont know, that mountain at mile 6 may be a pr killer

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had pimples bigger than that hill. On my ass.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is a good course for a first half-mary. the first 2 miles is a loop into georgetown before heading to Idaho Springs. The little bump in the middle is at the dirt track area. The ascent is hardly noticeable until you hit the mile 11 then back to flat at the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It'll be so easy, you'll run back up the course afterwards just 'cuz.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you even have to run? Can't somebody just push you over at the starting line and you'll roll your way to the finish line?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe it's not as bad in real life as it looks on paper.

    Looks like the potential for a PR to me. (And this is from a person who is out with injuries.)

    Happy running!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have three words for you: soap box derby.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My problem with elevation maps is the scales are always totally different, and I still have no concept of how many feet up is a big hill and how many is just a little hill. If you show me a course with a scale of 50 feet but it goes up all 50 feet at one point, I'll be like "oh no there is a wall-like hill!" But show me a course with a scale of 50,000 feet that goes up 10,000 feet and I'll think I won't even notice the uphill.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the posting and I'll be there racing against you! Best of Luck!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.