Sunday, August 17, 2008

Weekend Splits - Michael Phelps Edition!

Weekend Splits is my recap of things that I found interesting or humorous over the past week. If you have a submission for the weekend splits e-mail me.


You might think it’s weird that Paraguayan Olympic Javelinist, Leryn Franco graces this edition of the Michael Phelps Weekend Splits instead of a picture of Michael Phelps. If it’s a picture of Michael Phelps that you’re after then perhaps you could visit, oh I don’t know, one of the thousand or so running blogs written by women this past week that featured pictures of him low-ridin’ his $750 speedos. I’m just trying to level the playing field and give the ladies equal time by posting some pictures of our female Olympians. I’m nothing if I’m not about women’s rights and equality. Half-Fast is proud to be an EEO (Equal Opportunity Oggler). On to the links, there are 8 of them, one for each gold medal that Mighty Michael Phelps will drape from his alabaster neck.
  1. I had a post go up at CRN about the latest new craze in Beverly Hills; running tours aimed at seeing celebrities.
  2. Chuckie V gives you the Top 7 Reasons to Watch the Olympics. Hint: More pictures of hot Olympic athletes.
  3. An article went up this week on the Phat Phree that gives a guys perspective on Hot Yoga (Bikram?). It was doubtful that I was ever going to do hot yoga before I read the article, but now I’m never going to do it.
  4. In the spirit of the original Olympians competing naked, FitnessFixation.com lists the 5 best and 5 worst sports to compete in while wearing your birthday suit.
  5. According to RW Daily, Mighty Michael Phelps is competing in another event before the end of the Olympics.
  6. Cranky Runner gives us a behind the scenes look at NBC’s coverage of Mighty Michael Phelps. NBC: All Phelps, all the time.
  7. Kristina gives us 8 ways to run greener, presumably as an honor to Mighty Michael Phelps' 8 gold medals.
  8. Kyle takes a look at the Mighty Michael Phelps goggle incident. Personally I think it was a cunning assault on democracy, planned by Red China to take down Mighty Michael Phelps. This is nothing less than an ACT OF WAR!!!!!!!

Random Non-Running Related Video of the Week
What Phelps has done over the last week has been simply incredible, superhuman even. The most exciting race was the 4x100m Freestyle relay, and you’ve probably seen it a hundred times but it’s worth another look. YouTube videos of the Olympics have been disappearing faster than mob informants but this one is hosted elsewhere so I’m hoping it sticks around.


The worst part about that video is that it’s not the whole race and it doesn’t do justice to the faces of the French team after they realized they’d lost. Suck it France!

Video and images of Leryn Franco from With Leather.

Have a great weekend everyone!

12 comments:

  1. Dang it must be hard to run in those heels while carrying a javelin. Do you think her boyfriend has a bit of an inferiority complex?
    Thanks for the link :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually suffering a bit of post-traumatic-swimming-blues now that swimming is done and I don't have those bods to look forward to oggling every night. Ahhh, the Olympics, it really has been a glorious event so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristina - I like to think that she does everything with those heels on. ;)

    Jess - You can look forward to oggling the Shot Putters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Suck it France!"

    I couldn't say it better myself. Also, I had no idea that I was such a huge javelin fan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry...one more comment:

    "HERE COMES LEZAK! UNBELIEVABLE AT THE END! HE'S DONE IT! THE U. S. HAS DONE IT!"

    "HE DID IT! HE DID IT!"

    Watching that live is right up there with Jordan's winning shot against Utah in the NBA finals and Justin Leonard's putt to win the Ryder Cup.
    And Viper's glorious victory in the PR Challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. FINALLY, a blog with a feminist agenda.

    I should have become a javelin thrower. I would have an awesome body, AND I wouldn't be so chafed that I would refuse to let anybody near it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha...NWGDC said "huge javelin."

    I have nothing more to add.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that, from now on, every blog post should end with "Suck it, France!" Regardless of whether France is actually involved.

    Still Waiting for the Runner's High...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Will nobody stand up for the French???
    .....
    .....
    .....
    .....
    .....
    .....
    .....
    I guess not...

    ReplyDelete
  10. No one looks better in gold than this selection of German female athletes....

    Sportliche Leckerbissen

    ReplyDelete
  11. http://www.ittf.com/fashion/fashion_files/image032.jpg

    Ping Pong at it's finest!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would just like to point out that she's a little airbrushed in those pics.
    I was looking at actual Olympic pics of her...she's a bit thicker in the waistline than what those picks indicate.
    Not fat, but not svelte either.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.