Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Family Night at the Track

Yesterday was one of those days when my training schedule clashed with Candis’ training schedule in that we were both scheduled to run. Since we can’t leave our young children alone I naturally assumed that Candis would run on the treadmill so that I could go run outside when I got home from work, but was disappointed to discover that this wasn’t the case at all. Apparently I’m supposed to be willing to make compromises or something but I don’t remember that being part of our agreement. If I hadn’t taped over our wedding ceremony I’d go back and see what we each vowed to do because I’m pretty sure that Candis’ vows had something in there about bowing to my every whim, but Candis doesn’t remember it that way. Selective memory, I guess.

Since we were both planning on doing some intervals we decided to go to the local track and take the kids with us where they could annoy and get in the way of other runners. We packed some snacks for the boys, gave them a stern lecture about staying out of other people’s way and headed to the track. For the most part the boys were content to sit and watch from the bleachers while Dad ran circles around Mom. They ran a few laps with us when we were running cool down laps and David (my 5 year old) even ran a complete lap with me at a 9:45 pace. The rest of their time was spent shouting “go Mom!” or “go Dad!” or “Mom, can I have this Krispie Treat?” They also practiced their long jump, which is good because they totally suck at it.


Good form, poor distance.

All in all it was a fun evening. The boys ran several laps and got a ton of exercise and Candis didn’t have to run on the treadmill. I really wish we’d thought of this earlier in the summer because it would have been a great way for us to spend time together as a family while Candis and I both got some training in, of course now it’s starting to get dark early and it will be harder and harder to squeeze it in. Perhaps next time we’ll bring a happy meal and our portable DVD player with us so the boys don’t get too much exercise and can fit in better with society. I wouldn’t want them to be outcasts.

When we got home for the evening the major downfall of this plan became immediately evident, which is to say, where the hell is my dinner? You see, usually when I run in the evening my dinner is ready and waiting when I get home, but this was not the case on Tuesday. Moreover, Candis had to put the kids to bed and iron my clothes for work the following day and didn’t even get started on making me dinner until after that. I don’t think I’ve ever felt as famished as I did last night, sitting there on the couch playing Mario Kart Wii.

24 comments:

  1. Good job in making sure you keep Candis performing the way you want her to! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously Candis needs some training. Might I suggest a Stepford wife?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rough life you have there... I have trouble even getting the Boyfriend out of bed to go to a restaurant and order brunch after I've run a marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. perhaps you should put this post up on your bathroom mirror where Candis can read it, feel ashamed, and immediately correct her behavior. glad the family had fun and got some exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dunno who I feel worse for - Candis or Mrs. Nitmos?

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I take it Candis is already on the path to beatification? Good. She obviously deserves it. Poor woman.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like great family time. To bad Candis kind of blew it at the end of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a nice family time. I hope Candis took the first bite, 'cause if I were you, I'd be afraid she'd have added something "special" to your meal. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. All macho (el macho?) commentary aside, one little sentence makes it clear who's really in charge: the kids weren't asking Dad for permission to eat a Krispie treat. (p.s. they ASKED? Candis is doing a great job. I bet dinner was ready much, much earlier but she didn't give you PERMISSION to eat until she was good and ready.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m pretty sure that Candis’ vows had something in there about bowing to my every whim [...]

    As Immanuel Kant - or was it Samuel Goldwyn? - famously said: "An oral contract isn't worth the paper it's printed on." Shoulda gotten it in writing, man. Video contracts can be "fixed" in editing, so it's just as well you taped over that.

    Stil ... I believe every marriage needs a variety of "bindings" not just "legally binding"s. But that's between you, your wife and the locksmith you no doubt have on retainer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like it was too much to ask for your wife to cut out a few laps early, take the kids home, make dinner and return to get you on time. Sure, the pickle jar needs to be opened on schedule but not so much with the dinner preparation, eh? Can I get a Hell Yeah?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Screw the happy meal...go for the big macs for the kiddos! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You must be in line for both the Husband of the Year and Father of the Year awards.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Candis is one lucky gal to have married you.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad the family had some fun and got some exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  16. 'Man, it's a good thing you're hot.'

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember writing our wedding vows, and they clearly stated that SHE will respect MY individuality, and everything that goes with that. I keep saying she should have some tests run because her memory is fading, but in a continued display of forgetting our vows she's yet to follow through on my advice...

    ReplyDelete
  18. You poor thing! How could she do this to you?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad you got the training in with the family time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. geeze, women these days. not like the old days! women weren't even ALLOWED to run, for god's sake. take me back. please. i'm begging....

    ReplyDelete
  21. you are hilarious...so I tagged you! Check my blog for details...

    ReplyDelete
  22. We do this with our kids too, sadly it is my 3-y-o's favorite activity. "Grey - do you want to go get ice cream (Hoping I could get a cone too)?"
    "No, I want to go to the track."

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.