Monday, October 27, 2008

Gorilla Ice Ice Baby

Last weekend I played the role of awesome, supportive husband when I ignored my own race goals and my marathon training schedule and ran the Denver Half Marathon with my wife, pacing her and catering to her every need. This weekend was payback as I sent her all over town looking for items to complete my Gorilla Ice costume for the Denver Gorilla Run and then told her that I didn’t even like most of them. I then proceeded to get gorilla fur all over the house (seriously, that thing was shedding like a yeti vacationing in the Caribbean), and finally made her drag two tired little boys all around Denver so they could cheer for me.

The race was roughly 3.6 miles long and I had decided that I would try to take it easy on this run, mostly because I would be wearing a gorilla suit, but also because I was still hoping to get my 15 mile long run in. I ended up finishing somewhere around 36:22 with an average pace just north of 10 minute miles. It was a little slower than I had hoped for, but the effort that I put forth felt more like I had been running a 5K close to an all out pace. I kept my mask on for the first mile and then alternated between perching it on top of my head and pulling it back down over my face when I saw an official photographer. I didn’t feel at all guilty for not wearing the mask the whole way because there were some people that didn’t even wear it for the first tenth of a mile while others ran with their gorilla costumes stripped down to their waists. It was hot. The temperature was in the 70s and I was so hot that my teeth were even sweating.

At one point in the race we were forced to stop before crossing a busy street that had not been closed to traffic. There were a couple of traffic cops directing traffic and they stopped a group of us for at least a minute, normally I would have been upset about this, but this was a fun run for charity and at the time the forced break was welcome.

All in all it was a fun event. I managed to make a complete fool of myself as you will see in the video below and I got to meet up with Simon from RunColo who took 2nd place overall. If you want to know how it feels to be competitive then I recommend reading his account of the race. Congrats Simon!

The video below is me dressed up as Gorilla Ice dancing to, what else, Ice Ice Baby. I figured if I was going to be Gorilla Ice then I should at least try some dance moves. Steve in a Speedo has on a couple of occasions posted videos of himself dancing as the Grim Reaper and he inspired me to give it a try. Perhaps in the future I’ll challenge Steve to a virtual dance off (challenging him to a foot race is out of the question, he’s fast) because the only thing lamer than a dance off, is a virtual dance off between two bloggers.

Crank up the volume and bask in the beautiful sounds of Vanilla Ice accompanied by the eye-gouge-inducing dance moves of Gorilla Ice. A couple of things to watch for: At the 46 second mark you can see me very nearly roll my right ankle, that would have been an embarrassing way to injure myself. At the 2:30 mark you’ll see Simon cruise by in a Hawaiian shirt and an orange headband.

High quality version available at YouTube.

48 comments:

  1. Nice! I can't wait to watch the video, but YouTube is blocked at work... Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dance moves were surprisingly impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You definitely give Steve a run for his money.

    Hilarious! Thanks so much for posting the video. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those were the best moves I've ever seen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rob? Rob Van Winkle? Is that you?

    Nice dance moves...for a gorilla!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are some sweet dance moves gorilla ice. Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You definitely have a lock on next season's "So You Think You Can Dance Like a Gorilla".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to bust a move! I give you more propz for dancing for 3-and-a-half minutes straight in a gorilla suit than for running 5k in one. Both are impressive, though.

    You have definitely made it into the Top 10 of my Favorite Nonhuman Primate Runners/Dancers list.

    To be precise, you're #9.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You even got a sports car to drive through your music video. And now you have a gorilla suit for all your gorilla-suit needs. Score!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I practically am ROFL. Seriously. Is there an acronym for Crying on my Keyboard Laughing? COKL?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am laughing my head off! Who has more fun than....gorillas??

    ReplyDelete
  12. teeth can sweat? great race and great post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow... that is awesome and hilarious. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Best use of charity funds so far. Excellent video.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You crack me up! Nice moves and nice pace considering the gorilla suit!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How many gorillas were injured in the making of this video?

    ReplyDelete
  17. You dance pretty well for a Gorilla! I don't think I could have run in that suit. I sweat way too much. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Like Vava, I look forward to viewing and silently mocking your dance ability at a non-blocking location. In the interim, I'll just imagine you flailing around like a waterless fish which I'm sure is pretty close to what is actually happening. I'm sure you made Dian Fossey proud!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely hilarious! Now I totally want to participate next year. And add me to the list of those blown away by your dance moves... how long did you practice?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Not gonna lie...you're an excellent dancer.

    Also, I was convinced this was a big ol' joke until you actually took off the head and posed with the cheer squad.

    I'm still not sure I believe you though.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Not gonna lie...you're an excellent dancer.

    Also, I was convinced this was a big ol' joke until you actually took off the head and posed with the cheer squad.

    I'm still not sure I believe you though.

    ReplyDelete
  22. why do my comments always post twice????

    ReplyDelete
  23. why do my comments always post twice????

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amy, I don't know why your comments are posting twice, but it sure helps my comment count.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dude, your dancing skillz surpassed any expectation. You would've rocked the gym of any American middle school in approximately 1992!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is too funny!

    Love the video.

    Nice race time too.

    I need to come next year so I can wear my gorilla suit... mine is cool, it is wearing a pink skirt, and bra top!!

    The mask would be way hard to run in, props for wearing it at all!

    - my brother wants me to run in his Elvis suit (with detachable cape) we shall see!

    Em

    ReplyDelete
  27. That was AWESOME!

    You are giving Steve a run for his money!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nice moves bro, you forgot to shave the side of the gorilla's head.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That was fantastic. I truly believed that if there was a problem, yo, you'd solve it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Damn Vanilla's got some sweet dance moves!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sensational! Good seeing you again!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Dude, you totally kicked Steve's ass. He gets points for costume simplicity and scariness, but your moves and heat exhaustion potential are the winners here. All hail the lameness!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am de-lurking (i've been reading a long time and have maybe posted one comment) because that dance was THAT good. I watched it at work and had people wondering why I was laughing so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I may or may not have seen you on TV last night. My local news had a clip of the race in the segment usually dominated by surfing dog coverage.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow. I had to watch that twice. Your moves aren't bad.

    That is the weirdest run I've ever heard of.

    ReplyDelete
  36. LOL! what a fab video- those are some tight moves Vanilla!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh God. That's great! Good luck with all that fur over your house....

    ReplyDelete
  38. Yo. You killed it! You've got some MAD SKILLZZZ HOMIE.

    How long did it take to get that routine down?

    ReplyDelete
  39. Your dance moves Rock, can the 3 and a half minutes count as your final four tenths of a mile to round out to four? Whew- dancing in the gorilla suit looked like more work than the running!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Screw Steve, my money's on you any day of the week. Awe. some.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hollyyy guacamole! Those were some pretty killer dance move Gorilla Ice:)
    Thanks for the video:)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Nice moves, very entertaining!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. You rock guy!!!

    Love that video!!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Those are some sweet gorilla moves Vanilla! I think you might win in a dance off with Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  45. That's the best dancing gorilla I've ever seen! Of course, I've never seen a dancing gorilla before.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.