Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Hills

if you like this show you suck I’ve started to focus my runs lately on preparing myself for the torturous Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon in early August which has an elevation profile that resembles your 401K as of late (see here). The scenic route, made all that much more scenic when I am running on it, winds gently down the Clear Creek Valley and drops nearly 1000 feet between the start and finish. According to the race website it is “one of the most pleasurable races in the western US and one of the fastest,” what they don’t tell you is that it will completely shred your quads.

I’ve been getting myself ready for Georgetown by running a lot of the hills in and around our neighborhood. One evening last week whilst running the hills I had an epiphany, or maybe I just sharted, it’s so hard to tell the difference, but all of a sudden I realized why they named that MTV show The Hills: It is just as insufferable and uppity as actually running the hills. Both are equally painful, although I do feel good about myself after running the hills and that definitely cannot be said after watching The Hills.

In the hopes of staving off the quad shredding as long as possible I’m focusing on running down the hills during my training runs, but the crappy thing about running down a hill is that it usually means that at some point you’re going to have to run ‘uppity’ one. I suppose you could say that my training has been up and down, but not figuratively, literally. The other aspect of this race is that it is run at a high altitude which you might think that I would be used to since I’m in Denver but I just like to remind you all every now and then that I run at high altitude and you don’t. Although, even in Denver we’re only at an altitude of 5280 feet, and this race starts at 8500 feet and doesn’t get below 8000 feet until past the half way mark.

In order to better acclimate myself to the higher altitude I’ve been doing all my runs using only one lung. When I told Candis this she looked at me incredulously and said “what do you mean that you’re only using one of your lungs?” so I had to explain to her that there was less oxygen at higher altitudes and she was like “I know that, but how are you only using one of your lungs?” which completely surprised me that she didn’t know how to use only one of her lungs. I mean everyone knows that your right nostril goes to your right lung and your left nostril goes to your left lung. So I told her that I just breath in through one nostril instead of both and she rolled her eyes and called me an idiot, but she was the one that didn’t know how to breath into just one lung. Then, as if that wasn’t enough she tells me that using one nostril sends the air to both lungs and I cracked up laughing because clearly she thinks that people only have two lungs and I was like “well if we only have two lungs, one for each nostril, then where does the air go when I breathe in through my mouth?” She just shook her head and walked off, obviously realizing that she was wrong and couldn’t argue with my superior logic. So yeah, I’ve been practicing breathing with just one lung, that way when I run the race using all three lungs it will feel the same because there’s less oxygen at higher altitudes (because oxygen is afraid of heights).

18 comments:

  1. Next she won't believe that your right eye goes to your right brain and left eye goes to your left brain. Wives can be so silly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd worry about your kids, but thankfully Candis is there to let them know their dad is a twit.

    I've never seen the show The Hills, but I'm guessing it must be pretty popular considering how often those 'actors' are talked about on the celeb gossip sites. That can't be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does that mean that your training is completely fake and only set up to look like real training for the purposes of this blog? If so, genius!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whenever I outwit Teh 'Bride with my superior logic - the way you did with Candis - she kicks me in all three of my b@lls.

    So you're lucky all she did was call you an endearing name, viz., "idiot".

    In other news: I will never again post a picture like the one I did today on my blog. Henceforth, they will be for your eyes only.

    I didn't know you cared.

    Can I call you my idiot, too? Or is Candis the only one who can?

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I'd worry about your kids, but thankfully Candis is there to let them know their dad is a twit."

    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Using the same logic, sometimes I knock out my long runs using one leg for the first half and the other for the next half. That way, the runs are always easier when using both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LMAO!!!! I needed that. But the logic is so sound. Hope you switch nostrils every other day, so that one lung doesn't get extra muscly and bulge out your chest one side.

    ReplyDelete
  8. From the looks of this post, I think maybe you just sharted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you keep practicing this alternate nostril breathing, you might just levitate one of these days. But, then you'd be disqualified at that marathon you're talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was quite the shart you had with the hills and The Hills correlation. I'm loving it! And, good luck with that bitch of a race.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a fun little downhill dash. I'm doing the bryce canyon half, which like yours drops precipitously from start to finish. I'm looking forward to it though - yay gravity! The thing that shreds MY quads? Uphill races, meh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd suggest cutting up tampons to shove up your nose instead of plugging that nostril with your thumb. What it lacks in sustainable responsibility, it makes up for in convinience.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I guess that's the kind of logic I would expect from someone who watches the Hills. (Oh, sure, you say it's insufferable, but there's only one way you could know that.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am speechless. Literally, I can think of nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. In prep for St.George, which sounds quite a bit like your race, I am planning to obviously do a lot of hills, but take the ups slow (yeah!) and charge the downs as fast as I can. My hope is that this will cause me days of pain, spread out over time, instead of one HUGE pain the day after the race that could last for weeks. If that happens, I could pass the time by watching the Hills, though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds to me like you've been practicing your breathing a la Michael Phelps...
    He pretty much got off scott free due to his athletic ability and celebrity status, I'm sure your running prowess will do the same for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm just stuck on the fact that you watched THE HILLS.

    Its made up for by the fact that you are streak running up hills with one lung and one nostril. I'm sure that this considerably ups the difficulty value of the more complex snot rockets that must be coming out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL, don't hate on The Hills. It's my one guilty pleasure. :-) Ugh hill work, love to hate it!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.