Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Streakapalooza ‘09

I’m happy to report that Streakapalooza ’09 is under way and I’m 3 for 3 so far. I’m not going to attempt to post my runs every day because that would be boring to read and sounds like a lot of extra effort on my part. I’ll update you periodically on my progress and post a detailed recap at the end of the month that you can mock or ignore as you wish.

I’ve already had my first one miler and I’ve come to the conclusion that one mile runs are pretty worthless. I got on the treadmill last night, turned on the TV and was done before the first commercial break. Usually I like to run a mile to warm up so it was weird to be turning off the treadmill after 9(ish) minutes when I would usually be increasing the pace. I had barely even broken a sweat so I decided to do some strength training before settling in to the couch for the night. I suppose I could have done a few more miles, but I wanted to be fresh for the intervals that I had planned for this morning.

I’m going to try to keep the 1 mile runs to a minimum although I know there will be days when that’s all I have in me. Perhaps I’ll try to see how fast I can run a flat out mile on those days when that’s all I’m doing. McMillan says that I should be able to run one mile in 7:28, but that calculator typically underestimates me on the shorter distances. I wonder if I can crack 7 minutes? I have no idea what to expect.

I can only recall one other time when I’ve ended a run after 1 mile. Naturally, I blogged about it here.

15 comments:

  1. Three days in and you already Half-Assed a run? Impressive. I have no faith in you breaking the 7-minute mile barrier. Take that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got a sub-7 minute mile. I run about your pace and ran a 6:15 first mile in a 5k a couple weeks ago. One milers sound like great speedwork filler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hardly worth lacing them up for just one mile, isn't it?

    Disturbing picture on a number of levels, BTW...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've often wondered how fast I could run a mile. I know my high school PR was 6:15 but that was because I went to track practice every day because of the boys. No such motivation these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can break the seven-minute barrier.

    Afterwards you may wonder why you put yourself through it, but you can do it.

    BTW, hippie librarians and bankers have a lot in more common than you'd think because nowadaze neither of us is in it for the money because ... what money?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried the 'run one mile before work' plan for about 2 days and realized it was totally useless. I was hoping it might lead to longer runs in the morning, but no such luck. Only 27 days to go...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another thing HLs and Bankers have in common: random transpositions of the words "in" and "more" in sentences.

    ... I'm assuming. I've done my part.

    Now you do yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now calculators are underestimating you? Calculators? The abacus of the modern world? You need to take a long look in the mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, according to my math, if you can run less than a mile in 9 minutes and can drive more than a mile in 1 minute than you should theoretically be able to run an entire mile in under 8 minutes. Trust me, it works.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hate to burst your bubble, but if you really want to see how fast you can run a mile, you're going to have to warm up first, which probably means running at least one slow mile first.

    I don't want to see Streakapalooza turn into Hamstringapalooza.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 3 days down. 27 to go. I'm sure you'll have plenty of one milers in there to practice that sub-7.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think since it's streakapalooza you should start running one mile a day in the nude. Get it? Streaking and all? I bet you could go a lot faster with no clothes. No I'm not weird, just trying to think of something witty to say.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You should run the Pearl Street Mile in August.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That picture is more then a little disturbing...

    I can't see the utility of running everyday if a one miler keeps the streak going. I mean, you need to go at least 30 minutes for health reasons, so a one mile run is more likely to cause injury then to help you in any way!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're right. Everyday *would* be boring.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.