Thursday, November 20, 2008

Running Again

I went running yesterday morning, because I couldn’t bear the thought of resting any longer. I have experienced very little pain in my knee since the end of the all the football games on Sunday evening, but I am certain that my FBNH injury recovery system is fully responsible for what appears to be a complete recovery... almost. I had intended to run a very cautious 3 miles at a relaxed pace, but after a painless couple of minutes I found myself running at a heightened velocity. The scenery in my peripheral vision blurred together and disappeared behind me, the crunching of gravel underfoot grew rhythmically faster, my legs danced like a flautist’s* fingers trying to keep up with The Flight of the Bumblebee, the wind rushed fiercely through my ears, in one and out the other, my stride returned to its glorious, pre-injury form, and with it all, my proclivity for longwinded, run on sentences was apparently restored.

You might have deduced that it was a good run from my magniloquent description of it above, but at the very end of my 3 miles I did start to notice a faint pain in the back of my right knee again. Fortunately, I was finishing up my run and was able to kill it with a fun-sized pack of Advil. I’m going to rest up over the next couple of days and then make a second attempt at the 17 mile long run that was cut down in the prime of its life last Saturday. If I am unable to finish what I’ve started this coming weekend then it will be a sure sign that my work life has started to slip into my personal life, and also I’m going to look into having my knee replaced so that I can be ready for the PF Chang’s R‘n’R Marathon in January.

Do you hear me, right knee? If you screw up again you’re getting replaced. I simply won’t tolerate certain body parts quitting on the rest of us.

*Or ‘flutist’ if you prefer to be a little less pretentious, which I don’t.

15 comments:

  1. Hang in there Vanilla! Hopefully all it needs is a couple more days ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geesh - at least you have a plan for that knee! I'd hate to hear what you say to the wife when she acts up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, I'm so praying for that ill limb. If you don't dig on RICE, go for the RAMEN.

    "Rightfully adjusting my ego now"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, sounds like the CLAW helped.

    You know what's REALLY pretentious, by the way? Taking it slowly when one is injured. Y'know, avoiding heightened velocity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The second part of that first paragraph accurately describes the sensations I felt during my first mind-expanding 'shroom trip. I saw, God, man. He's a lot shorter than you'd think. Buddha's got him beat by a good half-foot.

    Best of luck with the injury, brother!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The miracles of football and beer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ditto on what you wrote for me.

    The half is beckoning you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, you are running a marathon? tell me more about this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for writing the "in one [ear] and out the other" bit. Saves me from doing it.

    Hope you heal up quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You actually didn't create a run-on with that long-winded sentence. Grammatically, it was sound. Stylistically...well, I will remain silent on that.

    Hope the extra few days of rest help cure the phantom pain!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your description of the run is extremely poetic, haha. Hope your knee feels beeter. I wouldnt want to be replaced!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm, Flight of the Bumblebee... You must have run your fastest mile ever! Seeing that a bees wings flap approximately 230 times per second.

    FYI - if you ahd me set up on a feed you need to change it. http://dasmixture.typepad.com/my_weblog/

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.