Friday, November 14, 2008

The Best Thing About Pain?

Earlier this year I did a post for CRN (Complete Running Network) about adding inspirational movie quotes to your running playlist. It’s a fun distraction to hear quotes from your favorite movies interspersed with the songs that get you pumped up. The other night I was watching the movie G.I. Jane (don’t judge) starring Demi Moore as a woman trying to make it as a member of the Navy SEALS, when I came across the following quote that is being immediately added into the running playlist rotation:


“Pain is your friend, your ally, it will tell you when you are seriously injured, it will keep you awake and angry, and remind you to finish the job and get the hell home. But you know the best thing about pain? It lets you know you’re not dead yet!”
You can find a link to the mp3 file and the wav sound file at the bottom of this page.

Speaking of CRN, I don’t think I linked to either of my 2 most recent posts over there. (This is October’s and this is November’s.) So, if you haven’t already read them then you should go do that now, and in the future don’t wait for me to link to them you lazy sack of slow twitch muscle fibers. Seriously, do I have to do everything for you? You might be thinking that reading both of them is too much effort in which case you and I are a lot alike, and you should totally just read November’s because I kind of phoned in October’s. (Hey, just like I’m phoning in today’s post!)

I also want to mention the Treadmill Vehicle, as seen on With Leather (video below). I couldn’t think of a clever segue to allow me to just radically change topics like that in the middle of a post, so it’s a good thing that I don’t allow trivial things like flow and style to influence my writing. At any rate, the Treadmill Vehicle is claiming to be the first man powered treadmobile, but if you’ve been a reader of Half-Fast since the beginning (you’re still here?) then you will remember a couple of posts that I wrote about the Treadmill Bike. I think the Treadmill Bike people have grounds to sue the Treadmill Vehicle people and more importantly I think they’re both morons. A bicycle is much more convenient than either of these two options for getting around and if you wanted to run... then why wouldn’t you just run?




Have a great weekend everyone!

19 comments:

  1. Sub-headlines eliminate the need for segues.

    Seems like the treadmill vehicle could be made of lighter material.

    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great quote. How often do you sit around and watch Demi Moore movies?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that even proper running form? What a dumb invention.

    I liked your cold weather running post on CRN and am directing my boss to you with any complaints about my early departures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha ha!!!

    Dang! that thing can pick up some speed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use that quote all the time I am on a long run. Especially, when I hear an ambulance coming. Another good one is the Litany against Fear from Dune
    "I must not fear, fear is the mind killer, fear is the little death that brings total obliteration, I will face my fear, I will permit to pass over me and through me, And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path, where the fear has gone there will be nothing, Only I will remain."
    This get me past that hump waiting for a marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What happened to you, man? You used to be All About the Sell Out, the Product Placement, and the Self-Promotion. Now lately I come here and, like today, see you writing things like "why wouldn’t you just run?"

    'Scuse me, but I don't see any Sell Out, Product Placement or Self-Promotion in that statement. Really, man, you've changed. It makes me heart-sick.

    When GI Jane came out, Ashton Kutcher was roughly 3 months old. So lucky for you I don't need to judge you: I'll just judge Demi. And I judge her HOT! Wish she'd adopt me, too!

    Have a good weekend, brother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG too funny, i did read that you know your in trouble when the pain has a pain!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the quote. That's going on my marathon playlist asap.

    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The one quote that I often think is funny, amusing, as long as it doesn't involve me experiencing it...is "Pain is weakness leaving the body."
    Of course, my coaches probably had the best line for pain..."you have to remember something about your pain, it's all about mind over matter: I don't mind, and your pain don't matter, now get back in there and do it again."

    ReplyDelete
  10. I prefer Demi in Striptease. That movie is a real classic. Great quotes include:
    Erin Grant: If I come back tomorrow, can we talk more about my case?
    Congressman David Dilbeck: We can talk about anything you want, long as you're naked.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I judge the Demi Moore movie. Can't help it, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1. Demi Moore is hot hair or not. My husband loves this movie but he thinks she could pop his head off with her thigh muscles and I told him to go ahead and try.

    This is his favorite quote, the one you posted. He says it ALL the time. He used to come home from the fire academy after they kicked his ass and recite it to me on the phone every night, mostly because he's a dork but whatever kept him going.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If this post might be very different if you had been watching "Striptease."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes...I want someone to do almost everything for me...will you run for me in the am?

    Quote downloaded...thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. the treadmill bike for two is likely the only way I could keep up with my husband...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really thought you were going to go for the "suck my dick" quote. But perhaps that was just a little too low brow, even for you?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Instantly want to shave my head and do pushups off a prison bed.

    *sigh*

    Only you Vanilla, only you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hate treadmills, no matter where they are located. Nice quote, G.I. Vanilla!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, I'm popping over from the Lawson's did Dallas.

    You're right - that treadmill vehicle is lame-o! I'd rather just run instead of having to worry about a big contraption to haul around. Somebody obviously did not consult their target market first.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.