Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Don’t give up. Don’t ever give up.

This is supposed to be a humorous blog about running, which may come as a surprise to you but that’s because you have no sense of humor. “You see everyone thinks they have a sense of humor but then they don’t all.” Today’s post is going to be a little different in that it will take a more serious tone, but I’ll probably still throw in a few sarcastic remarks so you don’t forget where you are, just like Lady Gaga will probably wear something ridiculous this week.

Some time after I started writing this blog we learned that my Dad had cancer. At the time I debated whether to share that on the blog or keep it to myself. It was a short debate and I went the typical guy route of bottling up my feelings and I felt decidedly macho about doing so. Fortunately, the doctors caught the cancer early enough, my Dad opted for the most aggressive approach to fighting it (surgery), and he has been cancer free for over a year. It’s a story with a happy ending.

In November of 2008 Candis’ Aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer and has been undergoing treatment. She is currently in the final days of treatment and doctors are amazed by her progress and her positive and upbeat attitude. Recent tests indicate that she too is cancer free and has fought the battle and won. Another story with a happy ending. However, there are many families out there for whom there are no happy endings. (Ed. Note: I really should have rethought using the phrase ‘happy ending’ but I don’t feel like going back and changing it now.) Candis and I realize that we have been blessed by fortunate outcomes in our encounters with cancer, but there are still far too many families that are negatively affected by cancer which is why we are participating in the American Cancer Society’s Relay For Life.

The Relay For Life is an all night walk that takes place at a local high school track. Our team, which includes Candis’ Aunt, will join other teams in walking around the track throughout the night this Friday, July 24th. Last year there were a couple of guys there who were running laps while everyone else was walking and this year I’m going to be ‘that guy’ (or one of those guys). I’m going to stave off the insanity that comes from running at length on a track and attempt to do my long run. 12 miles. 48 laps. Ugh! That ought to show up those walkers. Silly walkers, tracks are for runners.

You can learn more about the Relay For Life and donate by visiting my fundraising page. If you can give even a dollar it will be appreciated, by me and by the thousands of families that are affected each year by cancer.

As a side note, this is the type of post that always gets very few comments here at Half-Fast because you’re probably asking yourself ‘do I say something funny like I normally would or do I say something sincere?’ Well, I’m here to tell you that it’s OK to leave funny comments on these type of posts but let’s face it, you’re not that funny anyway. Go ahead and feel free to say whatever it is you want to in the comments. With that I’ll leave you with a video that I’ve posted before of Jimmy V giving a speech at the ESPYs.

Don’t give up. Don’t ever give up.

19 comments:

  1. One other way to contribute to the whole cancer research thing is to participate in a Susan G Komen race near you.

    Kathy and I joined 66,000 others in St. Louis for the most crowded 5K I've ever run...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great cause. Good work. Except I think you should run like all night and do fifty miles. That would be especially impressive since it would be part of your secret streak run...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad had prostate cancer over a decade ago and beat it and, at 87, he could be considered the poster boy for successful prostate cancer treatment because his prostate is probably in better shape now than most men half his age.

    But a couple years ago, my sister, 49 at the time, died of lung cancer. She was one of the few people in my immediate family who never smoked a day in her life.

    So I've had more mixed results than you.

    Good on you for running for this cause! There's going to be a 5k in Phila for cancer research in November, and I intend to run that one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great minds think alike! (and God knows there aren't many of us out there)...I am running with team in training for LLS and will carry a list of all that I am running for...I will add "Vanilla's Dad" and "Candis'ez Mom" to my list! Glad to hear all is well with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's always great to help out a cause that has affected your life and that you feel passionately about! And I especially commend you for doing your long run via track laps... I would go insane!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you. Just remember to switch directions every now and then on the track, both to prevent injury and madden your fellow participants.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should get twice as much money for doing your long run around the track. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 12 miles around a track? Wow, you really are dedicated to the cause! Good for you.

    Is the fundraiser a single donation or are we donating for every lap you make it? I don't want to pull a Michael Scott and accidentally be too charitable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. just a single donation.

    plus he'll probably only do one lap anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That isn't a speech that Jimmy V gave, it is THE speech.

    Another good one is "The last lecture" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo

    Never give up hope.

    Looking forward to the next funny post. Until then, I'll be thinking of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you! My dad is currently in a battle against cancer. They caught it very early and are hopeful but it is an extremely rare type of cancer with no official name (2% of all cancers) so we're nervous, of course.

    You've reminded me that I wanted to try to find a local cancer race to support. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought about taking the funny route then read all the comments. Ah, screw it.

    I dare you to smack any hot walkers on the butt each time you pass them during your 48 laps.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know what to do with this post. Other than to point out that it is not 4 laps to a mile exactly so you might need to go something like 49 1/2 or so.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Six years ago my Dad was also in the very early stages of cancer (which was found by a mere miracle and if it had been later would have surely killed him because of its agressive nature). I have happy to report he is five years cancer free. I know how lucky he and my family are. I also run Relay for Life...for those who have been lucky too but more so for all of those not as lucky.

    With cancer, one is never alone. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I picture Lady Gaga in my head, she's usually not wearing clothes so- who cares what Kermit the frog outfit she wears next.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good on you. Kick cancer in the dick. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. something I support as well, I support our local walk every year!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope you can run around the track with all of those $1's hanging out of your shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think you'll be making all those walkers dizzy, running circles around them like that ;)

    What a great cause. Just did a race too for the cdn cancer society, and it was amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.