Monday, February 4, 2008

Early Morning Angry Run

You can always run. That’s what I love about it. It doesn’t matter if you’re in a bad mood, if you’re stressed out from work, or if you’re feeling fantastic, you can always lace ‘em up and get out there. If you haven’t figured it out yet I’m a Patriots fan, which means that my weekend ended on a sour note last night.

This morning I woke up early (still not sure how I managed that) and pounded out 5 angry miles. I took out my frustrations on the sidewalks, on the hills and on my legs. It felt good. It’s been a while since I’ve had a good angry run, and the lingering memories of last night’s game combined with the fact that it was Monday morning and I had to go to work all helped me push myself a little harder.

It was a good run. It was good to be out there running in the dark, alone with my thoughts, and I felt much better when I returned home. Of course now I’m here at work and everyone’s a comedian. Everyone has a funny comment about the game that they’ve just been dying to tell me since the final second ticked off the clock, was put back on the clock and then ticked off the clock again. You can only have so many pretend conversations with the dial tone when people come by your office, and they’re usually undeterred anyway. By the time this day is over I might be in for another angry run tonight. Ahhhh, coworkers: You can’t live with ‘em, you can’t strangle ‘em with a phone cord. Right? I’m not allowed to do that am I? Because that might make me feel better than another angry run would.

21 comments:

  1. I tried the mouse cord once and I still have a restraining order against me, so I think you have to stick with the mad running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I call 'em Red Ass Runs. Just had one the other week. No funny comments about the Pats. I wanted to see 19-0.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing better then a good angry run. I always look for angry songs to play during the angry run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can't use the phone cord because that would be damage to company property. You can, however, bring your own device and strangle all who deserve it.
    I'm finding that drowning my sorrows in martinis and chocolate is working quite well. Stop this running business and try something that's worked for me time and time again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angry runs are great for the soul.
    Sorry, bout your Pats. It was an exciting game though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry to hear about your Patriots... but, you got a good run in, didn't ya!?!

    I love how successful some of those angry runs turn out to be! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angry runs are awesome. And usually, when you're done you feel so good you forget why you were angry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. now if only those angry runs could coincide with races...
    then we'd all run great times which would probably lead to a sadistic habit of creating situations that will lead to angry runs right before a race we hope to p.r. um, this theory may take some ironing out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was a Reds fan that lived in St. Louis, so I feel your pain. But, maybe not to that high a degree.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i have a playlist on my ipod called "angry runs". it makes for some very good, very fast runs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Angry man running! Serious PRs can be had from these!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry the Pats didn't come through for you, but at least you got a good run out of it. I was rooting for the Patriots, too, but was not invested enough to be seriously upset that they lost.

    Check out my daughter, Sarah's post about the game. It might put a smile back on your face.
    http://lifeafterstaff.blogspot.com/2008/02/super-duper-pooper-bowl.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. R.W.A.
    Running While Angry.
    Reminds me of the old Rap band NWA. Except you're white and not a rapper.


    So, if you start your angry run - how do you end it? Calm or more angry?

    ReplyDelete
  14. angry run + good angry music = bliss

    Sorry bout the Pats

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well I am not for either team, but with all the hype on the NE, I was kind of hoping for an upset. I think the problem was the NE QB was not there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's why running is cheap therapy. I've had days where I was so stressed that I ran twice. For me, that's amazing as I don't even run regularly (or didn't then).

    ReplyDelete
  17. I should try and angry run because I'm still seething about the Pats loss. How sad to end an otherwise perfect season. I guess we just have to put it under the category of "You Can't Win Them All."

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooh. EVERY single friggin run that I've even attempted in the past month has been an angry run. Stupid winter.

    ger.

    ReplyDelete
  19. "My pavement will be your face" is currently scrawled across my markerboard in my office. There are a few runners around here that know what that means. Knowledge protects thee from thine wrath.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.