Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A Request for Garmin


Whenever a gift giving occasion comes along, multitudes of husbands go and ask their wives what they should buy for them, but not me. Oh no. I used to do that until I learned my lesson. Now when one of those times comes around where I’m supposed to buy my wife a gift, like Valentine’s Day, or her birthday, or Tuesday, I already know what I’m going to get her. How? I pay attention. This earth-shattering departure from societal norms is one of the things that makes me a freakin’ awesome husband, but before you go heaping praise on me, let me explain how this radical new way came to be. (Ladies, take notes.)

Every time I asked my wife what gift she wanted, she’d come up with something that would be perfect for her. “Oooooh,” she’d say, “I really want a large capacity washing machine that becomes a dryer when the wash cycle is over and then dries the clothes in a wrinkle free manor.”
“That sounds really cool,” I’d answer, “where did you see it?”
That’s when the other shoe would drop. “Oh, I’ve never actually seen one anywhere. I just conjured it up in my head so that you’d be miserable as you wandered from store to store asking pimple-faced clerks where the washer-dryers were located only to find that they had misunderstood the question...” OK that’s not what she said, but that’s what I heard.

Naturally, I don’t ask my wife for ideas anymore. It’s much easier to painstakingly pay attention to her when she talks and then go buy her the things she desires that I know actually exist. Unfortunately this strategy doesn’t stop her from occasionally telling me about made up stuff that she really, really wants.

Such was the case this past week, when she told me that she wanted a Garmin of her own. Oh, but not just any Garmin. No, no. She wanted a Garmin that was a pair of sunglasses instead of a watch, and not cheap, crappy sunglasses either. Stylish ones. Then instead of going through the agony of having to look down to see your pace, the sunglasses would just flash that information up on the inside of the lenses, kind of like a Heads-Up-Display (HUD). And hey! Let’s not stop there, the sunglasses should also play MP3s and you should have the option to hear your pace, distance, time etc. through the earpieces.

It’s a fantastic idea, but I don’t think they actually exist. So if someone at Garmin is reading this post, then I’d like to suggest the Garmin Sunrunner 505 Sunglasses (pictured above, artist’s impression). If someone over there could get on this idea pronto, I know my wife would appreciate it. Would it be asking too much to have a pair of the 505s over-nighted to my office so that I could give them to my wife for Valentine’s Day?

NOTE: If no one at Garmin has thought of this yet, then they are welcome pay me royalties for this idea.

24 comments:

  1. Um... so they do actually make washer/dryers like that. Not sure about the "wrinkle free" part, but I've seen them. They're cool. I think they use them on RV's to save space. Maybe you should get an RV?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey... how did it know my whole name??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just can't stop commenting!!

    Here is a washer/dryer for you. I bet you could have it overnighted for Valentine's Day.

    http://www.lgwasherdryer.com/combos/wm3431hw.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want those. Let's take up a lit and send it to Garmin. Maybe we can be the test cases!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If Garmin sends you a box of free Garmin goodies, I'm hurling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someone at Garmin just read your post, stole your idea and got promoted. You get nothing. Although, the Sunrunner 505 will soon be available for one billion dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a brilliant idea. I suspect others have thought of it though, and we'll see something like those within in the next few years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy - take that link down right now, before my wife sees it. $1300??!? That will leave a mark.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Vanilla,
    I just wanted to inform you that we are currently testing a GPS version of sunglasses. We are currently in a contract with Oakley to design the glasses with our GPS technology inbedded in the frames. You should see them on the market in 2009
    Thank you for your post,
    Garmin Research and Development Department.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dude, that's a brilliant idea!! And while you're at it add this baby to the cart. I want you to be able to hear me "chick" you in my next race :P

    http://snipurl.com/1znkn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Arrrggg I don't think that link is gonna work try this

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oohhh those are cool glasses! Genius idea! I wouldn't even know what to do if I didn't have to glance at my wrist every 30 seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  13. maybe if you constantly mention it in your blog, Garmin will comp you a pair.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Patent, dude, patent that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want those too! You wife is a GENIUS!

    I HOPE the Garmin makes those - how cool would that be?

    Geek. I am such a geek.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My brother works for Garmin - I'll be sure to send him this post. Maybe his people can talk to the ForeRunner people... :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's nice to know that you married your match. She is pretty funny and clever.

    I want a pair.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hmm...the question is, which would elicit the bigger "wow look at her she is so nerdy it's cool" reaction: my big Forerunner or the glasses...

    Eureka! Wear both!

    ReplyDelete
  19. sunglasses with gps, with the splits being transmitted into your ear through the built in mp3 player... you know what? that's just daft enough to work!!!

    Although if you think of the size and weight of the watches, imagine the glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah, looks like someone may have beat you to it. US pat. #6,091,546.

    But check out the website of the patent owner: http://www.myvu.com/

    I think you really want one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  21. ok, so is that a real post from Garmin, or are you just being tricky????

    Actually, I'm totally liking the idea of you being this kool to get CLIF, & GARMIN to notice you; it’s like you're friggin famous! & I’ve SPOKE TO YOU!!!

    Although it'd be cooler, if you got a bunch of samples (like JK said) & then passed them out to your loyal (me) readers!

    & 1300- for that washer/dryer is CRAZY......but if it folder the crap too, I'd have to beg, borrow & steal to get it . . . lol

    ReplyDelete
  22. Seriously dude, if you get any more free shit I'm going to become grossly embarrassed by my sheer admiration to you and yours.

    Happy v-day guys!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey, I want the earpieces to come off too, so I can wear them in those -no earphones race- :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my God! Please let this come to fruition!! I have to have THOSE!!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.