Friday, February 29, 2008

Reducing Junk Miles

Ever since my racing season ended back in December I’ve just been running whenever I’ve felt like it. No plan to follow, no schedule to adhere to, just running by the seat of my pants whenever the urge struck me. Unfortunately there were some weeks when the urge didn’t strike as often as it should have and that is the danger of not having a plan to follow. I like to think of this strategy as being spontaneous. You may think that this is a reckless and cavalier way for me to train, but I in turn think that your feet are too big and your hairstyle is outdated. Sure I’ve thrown in a few tempo runs, and maybe one or two speedwork sessions, but mostly I’ve been running junk miles. (Ed. Note - A quick check of my Personal Running Log reveals that I have done no speedwork sessions at all. Boo-yah!)

As of Monday there will be no more junk miles for me because I’ll be embarking on the FIRST training plan. Those of you that have been around since I ran the Denver Half Marathon will remember how much I cursed this plan during my training, and also how much faster it made me. I’m starting their 12 week 10K training program that will lead me up to the Bolder Boulder. Why am I focusing so much on a 10K? Quite simply the Bolder Boulder is the most important race that I run. Every year 50,000 runners in 85 separate waves toe the line in Boulder which means it’s an extremely popular race and also that many of my non-runner friends will be competing against me. I can’t even begin to tell you how much it sucks to get beaten by one of your friends who is not a runner.

I had been hoping to run the Bolder Boulder this year in 50 minutes, but thanks to an overload of junk miles that’s probably not in the cards. I think I could probably go out and run a 53:30 10K right now and it’s not likely that I can cut three and a half minutes off it in 12 weeks, but it is way too early for talking about goals so I’ll just table that discussion for now.

You can learn more about the FIRST plan and see the training plan that I’ll be using at their website. Furman Institute of Running & Scientific Training.

18 comments:

  1. Everyone's so in love with FIRST, I may just have to try it once I've finished my current marathon plan (8 weeks and counting) for a fall half prep! I'll be sure to get a PR since I'm running the marathon with a "finish" goal. Now I've just got to find the right cross-training method.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you'll totally be able to cut 3 minutes off your time in 12 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who needs structure? I'm depending on junk miles to get me through a 15K on March 9. I should PR easy.

    Three and a half minutes? No way. Give up now. You won't even come close.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does negative reinforcement help you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the FIRST program. I used it for my first two seasons of Triathlon. It's tough but I wasn't able to handle more than 3 runs a week before. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with the program again, I hope it shaves off the time off the Boulder 10K

    ReplyDelete
  7. Geez, I just looked up that FIRST program it looks like a scientific formula!?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I laughed when you wrote about cursing the FIRST program, but also mentioned that it helped you. I feel the exact same way. I've used the "FIRST to the Finish" plan for my last two marathons, and am currently at the tail end of it right now for the ING Georgia Marathon on March 30. Next weekend will be my 5th (and thankfully, last) 20-miler in the program. I've been cursing those 20-mile runs, but it's helpful to only run 3 days a week.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. good god. this is the third time in about 3 days that i have heard of this program ... and i have never heard of it before. have i been living under a rock? i'll have to go peek. (at the program - not under a rock). i'm always wary of the time after a big race when i have no schedule. my coach tells me to embrace it - just do whatever i want. i hate doing whatever i want. i need someone to tell me what to do. i'll be begging for a schedule soon enough - but in the meantime, will be hoping that junk miles will get me a pr on a 10k in 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. See, the FIRST program is exactly the reason why you need to chill for a bit. That shiznit hurts LOL.

    I hear you homie, because I'm doing the junk mileage as we speak. But it's only because I know the torture I'm in for once marathon training rolls around with the FIRST plan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i had really hoped to start one of those FIRST plans for my attempt to return to sub-20 minute 5k's, but those things take more time than i've got these days.

    good luck with the training. remember, you can rest when you're dead... or when you're tired, whichever you enjoy more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those aren't junk miles, so much as maintaining yourself in shape in between goals/races. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think everyone hates their training plan, or at least cites their training plan as being "too agressive" while they are doing it. I guess since you can't blame a coach, people defer to the trainign plan as the scape goat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Best of luck with this and thanks for passing on the plan. You're great at directing runners to resources.

    The term "junk miles" always struck me as oddly judgmental. How about "maintenance miles"?

    ReplyDelete
  15. maybe if you reduced the 'junk in your trunk' you could shave off more time!

    Does negative reinforcement really help you?!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I used FIRST last year and had an injury-free marathon.

    However, without any easy runs, I also didn't have any friends. :(

    Fast and lonely - that's what FIRST got me. All in all, a good trade!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck at Bolder Boulder, remember the 10 is half VO2 and half Lactate Threshold. You have to work both elements.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good luck at Bolder Boulder, remember the 10 is half VO2 and half Lactate Threshold. You have to work both elements.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.