Tuesday, February 5, 2008

When Blogging Pays Off

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote a post about CLIF Bar’s new recovery drink, a 2003 vintage Cabern-ade Sauvignon. In that post I linked to the CLIF Bar Family Winery and somehow the folks over at CLIF Bar Family Wines found Half-Fast and my post about their wine. I received an e-mail from their Brand Manager telling me that they enjoyed my blog, and asking for an address so that they could send me some free wine and CLIF Bars. How freakin’ cool is that? It’s cooler than finding out your official race time is several minutes faster than what your watch said at the finish.

I don’t think I’ve ever been more eager to respond to an e-mail in my life, I hastily sent them my name and address. I crossed my fingers that they weren’t just looking for an address to send the Cease & Desist Letter to and waited for my wine. The package came on Friday morning, which is handy because that’s when I like to start my weekend drinking. Inside the box I found: 4 CLIF Bars, 2 packages of CLIF SHOT BLOKS (Piña Colada flavor and Margarita w/Salt flavor - do these people know me or what?), 1 bottle of The Climber 2006 White Wine Blend, 1 bottle of The Climber 2004 North Coast Red Wine, 1 hand written thank you note, and 0 Cease & Desist Letters!

Needless to say, I love the CLIF Bar organization! I may even go buy a case of CLIF Bars to send to the winners of the Shave Your 5K Challenge. I would send the winner a bottle of their wine, but the odds of me buying liquor and not drinking it myself are slim and nil.

Many, many thanks to the owners and staff at the CLIF Bar Family Winery, who I’ve heard are all elite runners, members of Mensa, as beautiful as models, and spend their free time ending world hunger, curing cancer, stamping out oppression wherever they find it, and ridding the world of road rage by always practicing safe driving habits. They have won themselves a loyal customer, despite the fact that they did not like my suggestion for adding a sport nozzle in place of a cork.



Above are a few pictures of the goodies they sent me just to prove I’m not making this up. All that, just because I mentioned how much I enjoyed their wine... Have I mentioned how much I love my new Asics? Have I told you how great my Under Armor cold gear shirts are? Hello? *knocks on monitor* Hello? Is anyone from Asics or Under Armor reading this?

For more about how awesome the CLIF Bar organization is, check out what they’re doing here.

20 comments:

  1. Damn! I write about booze all the freakin' time! Where's my free samples? You have inspired me to work harder for the possibility of free swag. Congrats, you officially rule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What!

    If you blog about something you really like, then they find out you get stuff. That's it. Forget running I'm doing product reviews now and bits about Matty (just in case!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah. I'm going to start writing about the genius of Warren Buffett and Berkshire Hathaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Technically you could have taken pictures of things you bought at the store, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt because why would you lie to your dear loyal readers. I must say that was a beautiful endorsement on both ends and I will now go purchse Clif alcohol because...well it sounds like the best thing ever to have during a reallllllly long race...or work...or while talking to my in-laws.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, that's awesome! Free wine is great, especially if it is good. Good luck getting the same prize from Asics or Under Armour!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dannnnngggg you got the hookup homie!! Sweet!!! Now pass the bottle over here, I need a swig :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is fantastic! You'll have to post reviews of the wines.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic! Did the wine last the weekend. And I definitely want reviews on the margarita shot block.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so flipin awesome! This is like the 3rd blog I have seen people get free goodies. It is like you guys are movie stars with all the swag.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, are you gonna start running with a CLIF bar sponsorhsip?

    That is awesome that they took notice of you! And "yay" for free stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm jealous of the free swag. Time to start doing my own product promos haha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They have margarita flavored chif shots? I am so there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow nice! I want to work for those guys.

    ReplyDelete
  14. that is super-cool Vanilla! Hello Mike's Hard Lemondae people...Hello!!! Love your product and variety of flavors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Clearly, they were impressed by your suave, debonair, yet sensitively well-written posts.
    That's my story, in case they ask me why I read your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dang, you and Pokey gettin the free stuff. She was whining about what to wear to her half and got some free clothes. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?? :D

    They probably know it would just cut into profits too much to GIVE me wine.

    BTW, I really do love Clif bars, it's what I trained with all last summer. You're a lucky man!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Starting today, my blog is going to be about expensive cars. And possibly also about garages in NYC where I can park them. Spread the word!

    I've actually never tried a CLIF bar or shot blok - I don't eat/drink while running. I may give it a try on Sunday to see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! That's awesome! Doesn't stuff like that make you feel way too important?! That's what it does to me :o)

    ReplyDelete
  19. woops. I'm on my sister's computer. Katy didn't post that, it was Amy....you know THE Amy Lawson.

    Never mind...getting shiz from Cliff Bar is way cooler than getting comments from me :o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is the coolest thing ever!! You lucky guy! When can we expect to read the wine review?

    (I am soooo starting to link to every winery now!! ;) )

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.