Monday, February 25, 2008

Hiccups Suck

I hate hiccups. I loathe them more than anything that you can name. When I get the hiccups I get them bad. My wife can attest to it, I sound like I’m dying. I hiccup, I burp, I make gagging noises, I gasp for air, and somewhere in between all that sexiness I shout and yell because I HATE hiccups. Fortunately, I’ve never had to deal with the hiccups during a run, at least until this past weekend and let me tell you that it was more annoying than a “he went to Jared” commercial.

They probably only lasted for a quarter mile, but it was the worst quarter mile of my running career. It definitely made my long run a Volkswagen Jetta Run. It’s been a while since I had a VW Jetta run so I guess I was due for one.

Shortly after my bout with the hiccups I came to a crosswalk where I paused for a few seconds while waiting on the walk signal. As I waited I noticed an attractive brunette was following me down the trail towards the crosswalk, I wondered if she had witnessed the idiotic convulsions and gyrations caused by my refusal to stop and deal with the hiccups. While she was still 20 meters away I got the walk signal and crossed the street.

I found myself faced with a dilemma because the attractive brunette would certainly make it across the street after me and she appeared to be running a little faster than I was. No doubt she had been gaining on me for quite some time. My ego was prompting me to speed up so that I wouldn’t get “chicked,” but my increase in pace would have been obvious to her and she might have thought that I was being rude. It also occurred to me that my ego might not ever recover if I increased my pace and still got “chicked.” After weighing all my options I actually slowed my pace to allow her to pass me. Using the phrase “allow her to pass me” significantly boosts my ego.

She never did pass me though. I ran at a slower pace for a half a mile and she seemed to remain 20 meters behind me. Figuring that I had misread her pace, I ramped back up to the 9:15 pace that I had been running at and assumed I was leaving her behind. A couple more miles passed and I came to part of the trail that almost doubles back on itself which allowed me to see that she was still 20 meters behind me, she was matching my pace. My ego and I agreed that I needed to throw in a half mile interval, which I ran at a pace somewhere around 7:45 before slowing back to my original pace. Slightly winded, I glanced over my shoulder to find the brunette 40-50 meters back and gaining quickly. Somewhere before I got home she must have taken a different path, because this was the last I saw her.

To be honest I was a little perturbed at her behavior and if the roles had been reversed I would have certainly expected a face full of pepper spray. I was trying desperately to figure out what she was up to when it suddenly hit me. It was a warm day and I was wearing shorts; she was simply admiring the view from back there. It made perfect sense to me and my ego. It is a really nice view, I only wish that I could see it more often and without the aid of a mirror.

19 comments:

  1. That is the only logical explanation... I have heard of "running groupies", I'm yet to encounter one but I'm sticking with the belief that they exist!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avoid getting "chicked." I'm going to have to make sure my male running friends are well versed in this lingo.

    Pretty clever.

    Just smile knowing that you gave her a good, solid workout as her rabbit. I find myself sometimes feeding off of a fellow runner's pace as a challenge once in a while. I'm sure she enjoyed the view from behind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Were you wearing your running skirt? Enquiring minds want to know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes us ladies just like to keep our male counterparts on their toes. Especially if they're wearing tight shorts and/or running skirts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you sure you didn't just have TP hanging out of your shorts? :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. It had to be the reason why she stayed behind ya. I wish she knew about your blog and would have known that chicking you would have been much better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She probably was most definitely staring at your behind! Although I would never attempt to go that fast, for that long to watch an attractive man's rear!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally hear ya! It's hard being a sex object when you're trying to be a serious athlete. Don't you just wish people would respect your art? he he.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry, buddy, she was just keeping her distance. :D It's like when scary people are coming at you and you cross to the other side. I guess you could still feel pretty macho over this though. I wish I had this power. Well, actually I can chick the guys in the pool, but not so much on land. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. She probably was trying to pass you but just couldn't. Or the bum explanation, that works too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vanilla, if that is what going to get you through your day, then cling to that.

    Meters? Did Colorado secede?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate when that happens. You want to make it as unobvious as possible when turning your head to see where someone is, but there's nothing really unobvious about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Getting "chicked" . . .I like that. Oh, and thanks a lot for putting the Jared commercial in my head. Came across your blog today and enjoying it, I will be a return visitor.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometimes if I like the pace of a runner ahead of me, I'll kind of keep the same distance between us and follow their pace. So maybe you were her pace bunny for that run. Or y'know, her sex god. One or the other.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Without a doubt she was so mesmerized by your rear view that she didn't even realize the pace was changing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's kinda like when you're trying to pass a slow-ass car on the highway, but every time you get close to the car, it speeds up -- that's how she was feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, if she runs like I do, you always enjoy the view!!!

    or as Marcy mentioned, did you have TP on your shoe???

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh - you are a running tease...

    ReplyDelete
  19. i wonder what she thought of the hiccups?

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.