Monday, February 18, 2008

Emergency Procedures: Quicksand!

In my quest to differentiate Half-Fast from the many other running blogs out there, I am debuting a new feature today called Emergency Procedures. There are many excellent running blogs around that offer sound coaching (Runner’s Lounge), scientific analysis (Science of Sport), humorous poop stories (Lawsons Do Dallas & 21 Days), and “hydration” advice (Booze Hounds Inc.), but no one is giving advice to runners about what to do when faced with an extreme emergency. That all changes today. Emergency Procedures will be an ongoing feature that will appear here at Half-Fast on a random and inconsistent schedule based loosely on its popularity. Today’s topic as you may have already guessed is Quicksand!

First let’s start with a couple of preventative measures that you can take:

1. Do not fall into quicksand. Avoid running in areas where there might be quicksand. Warning signs of quicksand to look out for are sand, water, mud, marshes, swamps and signs that read ‘Danger: Quicksand!’ Also be sure to avoid the Fire Swamp which is the only known location in the world where ‘Lightning Quicksand’ exists and is the natural habitat of the R.O.U.S.

2. Tie your shoelaces tight. This will not prevent you from falling into quicksand but it will prevent you from having to buy new shoes when you’re extricated, and I think we all know how expensive new shoes are.

Now let’s take a look at what you should do if you were stupid enough to ignore my preventative measures or if you were cast as the damsel in distress in an old Tarzan movie. In the event that you find yourself trapped in quicksand or maybe even a sinkhole while you’re out running, please follow the emergency procedures outlined below.

1. STOP YOUR WATCH. The most dangerous thing about quicksand is that it can really mess up your splits, which is why it’s critical that you stop your watch as soon as you realize that you’re caught up in quicksand. If you’re wearing a Garmin hold it up above the quicksand as high as you can (because it’s expensive) and maybe it will tell the satellite to send help (no it won’t).

2. Don’t panic. You’ve stopped your watch so you’re not losing any time off your run. Despite what you might think, now is the time to be cool and collected. Catch your breath and rest your legs so that you can finish your run strong when you get out.

3. Take pictures. No one’s going to believe your awesome quicksand story without some visual evidence.

4. If you can still reach your waistband, retie it a little tighter. You don’t want those pants coming off when you are pulled to safety.

5. Yell and scream for help like a little girl.

6. If someone shows up to assist you, help them to remain calm by cracking jokes. For example, when they ask you if you’re stuck or need assistance, tell them “No, I’m not stuck, my legs were running too fast for my torso and now I’ve lost them, have you seen them?”

7. If no one shows up to help you, the best solution is to try to remember what you’ve seen on survival shows on TV, and not what you’ve read here at Half-Fast. I think I once saw someone lay on his back and pull his legs up out of the quicksand one at a time, give that a shot.

8. Do not dive back in to retrieve an item of lost clothing (unless it’s your Garmin, because those are expensive and worth the additional risk).

I hope and pray that none of you will ever find yourselves trapped in quicksand while you’re running, but I am confident that you will survive it now that I’ve armed you with the information you need.

21 comments:

  1. Hilarious and unhelpful as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think Body Glide might help for the chafing that is bound to occur after getting sand all up in your business?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That your advice also applies to sinkholes is appropriate here in the Ozarks. Last summer, a fugitive got trapped in a sinkhole not 15 feet off the trail I regularly run on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Step 5a. While waiting for assistance, you can also pass the time by thinking up creative titles for the blog post you are sure to make immediately upon returning home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just come across your blog, and like it a lot. if only I'd read it earlier, before I fell into quicksand while out on a run. Oh the curse of being a daydreamer and ignoring those 'DAnger - Quicksand' signs one after the other. I didn't tie my laces tighter, or my waistband, so when I was pulled out - a dog came to see what was wrong, and I managed to get him to understand that I was in danger, and he was to run back to his master and, by barking in a certain way, get him to realise what was wrong - I lost both my shoes and my dignity. I look forward to your next piece of advice.
    (And if you ever feel like looking at our blog, www.runflux.com/blog, or even our new site, www.runflux.com, you know where to click). Keep that blog goin'
    Huw

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you. Perhaps I would forget to stop my watch, and I hate it when anything messes with my splits!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog, and I love it! Totally Hilarious! :o)

    Can't wait for the next installment of emergency procedures!

    TiGrr*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow... I love that you referenced the R.O.U.S.es! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This may be one of your funniest posts ever. Thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. http://jkrunning.blogspot.com/2008/02/my-weekend-in-pictures.html#links

    First of all, I'm LOL at your post, secondly, here's a 5K submission.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank god you posted this, it's something I've been wondering about, and now, with your help, I'm all set!

    Hee, totally funny.

    ReplyDelete
  12. HA! Great post! I love #4 and #5. AND I've learned that ‘Danger: Quicksand!’ means there may be quicksand around! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm ... think I will print this and tuck it in my water belt for future reference. Then I'll have something to read while waiting for rescue.

    BTW, do you know if the Garmin has a setting to measure your sink pace? It would be nice to see some improvement over previous falls into quicksand -- perhaps even to set a PR.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was actually thinking that a long, slow extraction from quicksand might be just what my IT band needs to stretch it out. Always a silver lining.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww...Ian you have always had your own special category of running blog. Damn funny running blog!

    Keep it coming - always a highlight of my day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Alright, this was a hilarious post. (Altho you never saw Lawrence of Arabia b/c that'll prove conclusively that you don't get out of sinkholes.) But that doesn't matter b/c you deserve to be drummed out of male society for creating a pejorative verb, chicked, which is gaining traction to diss all of us male runners out there who are cool (most of the time) to being passed by a female, even if she's not wearing headphones and still won't tell us her name after we struggle to go faster for a minute to get a breathless inane comment out just before the name request. (Hey, I see you're wearing a running skirt. I knew somebody that wore one once. She loved it. Yep she did. So what's your name?) We get taunted now with getting chicked, I see it in other blogs--shame! How about when women get passed, they get hottied. Redeem yourself, go to work on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I find this truly helpful. I have noticed my pace started to slow down. Been keeping my eyes open for any quicksands around here. Terrific suggestions! I look forward to your next emergency installment.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great, now I have another completely unrealistic fear to obsess over during my runs. Thanks. A. Lot.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Have you thought about writing about the emergency of having your visor on too tight? Just a thought that might actually be helpful....I just wrote it up as a Public Service Announcement but you may have the skillz to elaborate....

    http://30yofseeksmarathontorun.blogspot.com/2008/02/mercedes-half-marathon-report.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Isn't it illegal to post something this funny on a blog? What's wrong with you? Don't you know that running is a serious sport? Besides, as we all know from the recent ads from a not to be named running shoe company (unmentioned because I can't, for the life of me, remember with certainty which company it is -- I don't wear their shoes), real runners run too fast to get caught in quicksand.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.