Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Ask and Ye Shall Receive

Well, maybe ye shan’t but that’s because ye have such little faith (and such small readerships). I however, asked for some YakTrax a few months ago in this post and now I have a pair. Technically I don’t think I asked for a pair of YakTrax in that post, as much as I cursed YakTrax for not sending me a free pair but what’s important is that someone at YakTrax read that post and sent me a free pair! You may catch more flies with honey but you get more free swag with vinegar, and really, who wants to catch flies?

I actually received the YakTrax a month ago but we haven’t had enough snow for me to try them out. You East Coasters are so lucky! I was getting pretty sick of all the sunshine and 60 - 70 degree temperatures so this past weekend I went in search of some snow and I found some up at Grand Lake, CO (elev. 8,500 feet). I pulled on my free Pearl Izumi shoes and my free YakTrax and headed out for my run on a frigid 50 degree morning. The skies were clear, the air was fresh and my feet had more traction than a congressional bill laced with a congressional pay raise.

I was pretty cautious at first, not wanting to put too much confidence in my new YakTrax and end up on my delicate tushie. However after a half mile I had completely forgotten that I was running on snow and ice. I raced up hills on my toes and I barreled down them at full speed without even the slightest hint of slippage. Usually when I run on snow and ice I have to run with a shorter, more careful stride, but that’s simply not the case when you’re wearing a free pair of YakTrax. (I obviously don’t know how it is when you wear a pair of YakTrax that you’ve paid money for but I assume it would be similar.) People out walking their dogs gazed on in wonder at the sure-footed runner with the magnificent stride, I was a thing of beauty.

I didn’t ever notice the snow building up on the YakTrax, which I had suspected might be a problem so they must have used some NASA space technology to prevent that from happening. I had also thought that I might be able to feel the coils beneath my feet when I ran, but that was not an issue either. All in all I am very impressed with the stability provided by the YakTrax. Really the only downside is that I can no longer use “it was pretty slippery out there” as an excuse for a slow run, I guess I’m going to have to stick with the old “it was at an elevation of 8,500 feet” and the trusty “I didn’t really fuel properly” and then there’s always the reliable “it was too windy” that I can fall back on. One thing I don’t need someone to give me for free is excuses, I’ve got plenty of those to go around.

22 comments:

  1. You're such a product whore. God, I envy you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Xenia beat me to the donkey punch. You suck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you should look up Donkey Punch... or is that what you meant?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I've never seen the oratorial equivalent of a "dude" (okay, sure; if you say you are, you are) going down on a Yak before, but now I think I just did.

    You really are a product whore.

    Your mother must be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the post. I know what I want for next Christmas. I wish I had enough of a rep to be a product whore. :0

    ReplyDelete
  6. If there's any meat or donkey punching going around...Glaven is IN. BTW, for anyone wondering about the donkey punch - don't put it into google. You'll get blocked at work anyway;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are stellar, however you will notice those coils when you're running on city streets and you reach a part of the road that is not icey/snowy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "You may catch more flies with honey but you get more free swag with vinegar, and really, who wants to catch flies?"

    Beauty. I shall needlepoint that on a pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. At this rate, local races will not only waive the registration fee for you, but will actually give you an appearance fee.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh. [That's the sound of me making a mental note to mention wanting a free pair of YakTrax in a future post and crossing my fingers that some generous-minded rep is reading.]

    ReplyDelete
  11. YakTrax are the shiznit. They're practically required where I live (Michigan). A word of warning, however: don't stomp them too hard against pavement in order to dislodge any clods of ice or snow because this might happen.

    After I posted my sob story on my blog about ruining my barely month-old Trax, someone contacted me and offered to send me a new pair, which I was on like a duck on a june bug.

    Being a product whore RULES. Never apologize for it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. someone from YakTrax read your post!?

    yeah! do you expect us to believe that!?

    we all just read the comments and watch any video !

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so important.

    Oops! Forgot a word, there.

    You are so self important.

    That's better.

    Congrats on the free gear.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The jealousy is coursing through my veins. I wish my readership of 5 had a few zeroes tacked on the end.

    Congrats on the free stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Yak Trax I paid for are awesome! I just LOVE being a bad ass (although slow) running in the dark, snowy 8 degree weather. People almost look stunned that I'm moving with such ease for snow and ice. Suckers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice score! But are Yaks really known for their shure-footedness? They're not mountain goats, after all.

    ReplyDelete
  17. First comment to you ev-ah. Thanks for being a product whore. I really wanted a review about these...I'll get a pair for next winter in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  18. man, you product whiz bang kids have all the luck.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank goodness you didn't get snow build-up like your Mizuno's from last year... don't need to hear you crying about your snow high heels! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. "My wallet's too small for my fifties AND MY DIAMOND SHOES ARE TOO TIGHT!"

    I hope you roll and ankle.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hate you...lots.

    here in Frostburgg, one actually NEEDS Yak Trax a good 10 months of the year.

    I, too, hope you roll an ankle and suffer a bout of paralysis to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Excellant example as to why we should all bitch and complain about things we don't have at every possible moment.

    Thanks for setting the example.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.