Friday, March 6, 2009

Daylight Savings Time

This is a public service announcement to remind you that you need to Spring your clocks forward this Sunday at 2am, or Saturday night if you don’t want to stay up until wee hours and do it the right way. This probably doesn’t apply to you if you live outside the US or in the crazy state of Arizona. My theory about Arizona is that there are a lot of retired folks there and they get confused trying to reset the clock on their DVD players so the Grand Canyon State just decided to save them the trouble by avoiding Daylight Savings Time altogether.

Your feelings about DST as a runner probably vary depending on whether you are a morning runner (masochist), an evening runner (too lazy to get up early and run) or a mid-day runner (unemployable). If you are a morning runner then it was just starting to get light towards the end of your runs and now all of a sudden you’re going to be running in the dark again. Additionally, it will probably be colder when you run since the sun is an hour further away from rising, sucks to be you. If you are an evening runner then you’ve just garnered an extra hour of daylight which means that you’re going to have to procrastinate for an hour longer before you can use the excuse that it’s too dark to run. (It’s never too dark to run if you have enough reflective gear, and in some areas of town enough pepper spray, but it does still make for a good excuse.) If you’re a mid day runner then you probably don’t care what time of day it is since you clearly don’t have anything better to do with your time than go run, just be sure you don’t miss your favorite day time television shows.

I mostly run in the evening which means that I’m happy about DST coming earlier in the year than it used to. Of course it means that I have to change the time on all of the electronic devices in my home and then watch them all re-adjust themselves again a few weeks later since no one told them that we switched DST to the 2nd Sunday in March. Or I could just let them display the wrong time for a few weeks... yeah... I think I’ll go with that option.
Have a good weekend everyone!

25 comments:

  1. This is your most helpful post to date. I had completely forgotten that we spring ahead this weekend, which means I'll have to get an early start because the bars close earlier than normal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Arizona we want to spring forward about 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your theory about Arizona?

    Totally wrong.

    [gqh sticks chin out in I dares ya! fashion.]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are tying your blog to bacon much like I've tied mine to llamas. Which makes me wonder...how would llama bacon taste? Like ostrich meat, would it be healthier somehow?

    Happy DST. I better go get my wife a card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to wait three more weeks for DST. Bah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm definitely a morning runner (5:15-5:30 start) who is actually glad it will still be dark when I run. That way I can't actually see how slow I'm really running!

    The real benefit of morning runs? You're out the door and back again before either your mind or your body actually wake up and realize what they're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vanilla:

    I think I cn speak for old people in and out of A: it's not the clocks, its just a stupid idea. Now, I think Ben Franklin was one righteous historical figure, but I haven't used candles since I recycled the candles from my 15-year-old son's 12th birthday on to my dear wife's most recent birthday cake (three-year-old residual frosting isn't as tasty as you might think). I say we split the difference and never change the clocks again. Anybody wanna start a movement?

    Nitmos: Stop wondering. It taste like chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  8. only you can tie DST to bacon.

    oh, and nice job pissing off an entire state. You won't be getting a free entry to next years RNR Arizona Marathon now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Proof that EVERYTHING is better bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet. Now the clock in my car will only be one hour off instead of two. Stupid time changes and time zones and stuff :-(. Thanks Vanilla!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Regardless of my running time (it varies), I am excited about the messed up DST implementation!

    The last two leap forward/fall back cycles many computers at my worksite the Outlook calendar got all messed up. So meetings were not showing up as a reminder (or even in outlook calendar) until too late or other meetings were showing up early depending on when one accepted the meeting. For nearly two weeks I could walk into meetings late or leave way early and blame Outlook.

    It's not like most meetings I get sucked into are productive anyway and having Outlook as the "fallguy" was great!

    I've got my fingers crossed this time they still haven't straightened out the glitches and aided by Outlook during the next two weeks I can dodge meetings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Indiana doesn't change much as well. i'm all for leaving it alone.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Finally all those clocks I didn't reset will be showing the correct time again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Managing time is my husbands job. My job is to waste it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Alaska and Hawaii are part of the crazy states club. I don't miss it this time of the year, but one of my favorite days of the year is when the clocks get changed back in the fall. I LOVE the extra hour of sleep. it's too bad they changed the date, because the Marine Corps Marathon was always on that Sunday, and an extra hour to sleep before a marathon was so nice. Enjoy Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wonder if I can still use "I need to go run" to ditch work at 4 after daylight savings? Probably since my coworkers think I'm some sort of olympic athlete for running 10 miles on a Wednesday. (That's SO FAR!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. ohhhh I want some bacon now.

    So outside of the US doesn't do DST? I'm in Costa Rica and probably should figure that out by tonight. Especially since I have some important meeting crap to do Sunday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  18. P.O.M. - Outside the US didn't switch the dates so it probably doesn't occur until April or something, and it's probably not all countries I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Keeping the hard working people of this country in the dark is just the governments way giving all the unemployed a "sleep stimulus package." Wouldn't want the sun to shine in through the cracks of shanties.

    I'm a morning runner (masochist - you say) so I'm already like a mushroom, in the dark and fed B.S.

    Mushrooms and bacon ... that would be good on a llama burger!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Contrary to popular opinion within the US, most people live outside the US. And would not want it any other way.
    The only down-side to living down-under is that DS ends on 5 April here.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It indeed is always time for bacon. I think I will eat some now!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh good...now I don't have to worry about changing the clock in my office, since it's been an hour off since November. I knew that changing it was just a waste of time...

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like how running in the mid-day (most of the time) makes me unemployable! =D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hadn't heard that theory about DST & AZ, but now that I think of it... it's SO TRUE. And it's also because half the winter population down here is from Canada. Can't confuse them either ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. We don't change time in Hawaii either. Of course, time means nothing in Hawaii since 'Hawaiian Time' is whenevah...

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.