Wednesday, March 11, 2009

You and Intervals

I’ve decided that intervals are the bane of my training. I hate them. They’re like an abusive relationship. You do the first interval and it feels great, you feel fast and you know that you’re making yourself a better runner. You love intervals, you doodle ‘intervals’ as your last name on a scratch pad and dot the i with a heart. You’d do anything to get in Intervals’ pants. But then pretty soon Intervals gets angry with you and yells at you for something insignificant. This should be a warning flag but Intervals is always so apologetic and sweet during that recovery lap. You can’t help yourself, you find yourself begging for more. By the time you get around to your final few laps you’re gasping for breath as Intervals chokes all the air out of you and punches you repeatedly in the legs. It’s over! You’re not going to take this anymore, you’re a self-respecting runner and you don’t need this. When you were dating Long Slow Distance he never treated you this way.

You finish your final lap and you don’t want to be a better runner anymore, you just want to call the cops and have a restraining order issued against Intervals, but you can’t. You can’t because you’ll be right back there at the track again next week thinking ‘weeee look how fast I am’ during that first interval. You’re like an idiot bounding around the track and you don’t even see the oxygen debt coming, but every week it comes and is quickly followed by the physical abuse. Every week you swear off Intervals. You curse Intervals under your breath and sometimes if you’re feeling bold you curse Intervals out loud, hoping to hurt Intervals’ feelings. “I hate you Intervals, and Long Slow Distance is way more endowed than you’ll ever be!” (You should probably spend some time working on your insults.)

You walk away from the track, shunning Intervals but then you can’t keep yourself from glancing over your shoulder and mouthing “call me” with your hand imitating a phone. ‘Oh yeah,’ intervals is arrogantly thinking ‘you’ll be back for more. You know you want me,’ and Intervals is right. I hate it when Intervals is right.

Hey, I bet you can’t guess what kind of workout I did last night.
5 x 800s (7:35 average pace)
Blech. I hate you Intervals!

27 comments:

  1. I haven't run a lot of intervals, but I sure have dated him before. Given this post, hopefully when I do start running intervals, it ends up better than it did with the guy who stalked me for a year. TMI, I know, but your analogy ROCKS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you’ll be right back there at the track again next week thinking ‘weeee look how fast I am’ during that first interval.

    That is so me. It's sad. And I suck at intervals so I'm not even going fast. Boo hoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, you are so right. And just in time. I have a date with intervals this week. We haven't seen each since September last year. I wonder if intervals has changed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was hilarious. You totally just made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did intervals last night too, and yeah, the love affair was quick and dirty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And this is why i don't do intervals....oh and maybe because I'm recovering from a knee injury or something like that

    ReplyDelete
  8. Intervals only hurts me when he drinks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. great post! I also hate how intervals can take such a short distance (800m, come on!) and make it seem like forever, even make you questions whether the track is regulation size or not.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahahaha!1!

    Viper is getting your sloppy seconds!

    You should high-five yourself over that.

    Unless, of course, he pleasures intervals better than you do. In that case, you might need the palm of your hand for ... something else.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hysterical, but I sense you were spending valuable time on that image that could have been spent writing 600 words for me. Get to work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. when i was in high school we had to do 32 200m intervals with 200m rest intervals one day and i nearly died. i love intervals.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Weird, I just wrote about this exact topic yesterday. It was the day of my "break up" with speed intervals. Hopefully not permanent, but we'll see if I can forgive him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah, I took out that restraining order.

    Now I don't do these short intervals. In fact, I only do mile repeats--then I don't even have to call them intervals.

    But hey, I broke up with him.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You must be a rookie. For those of us who have done them for decades, we have no illusions of what's to come. They're the siren call of a dominatrix.

    When done with a group, intervals -- the fast runs with the short break -- everyone is left bleary-eyed after the first couple. Someone says, "Ready" and off you go, hitting your watch. Again and again. When they're over, everyone gives a fist-jab.

    ReplyDelete
  16. intervals to suck, but oh, they suck so well. they make us proud later that night when we reminisce over the time we had. yes, we usually don't like them immediately after the time together, but oh, we do love them.

    nice pace on them though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can feel interval's eyes on me now. I took last week off and they are burning into my backside for tomorrow. They were so nice to begin with...just like honey...not anymore...but I can't live without them...talk about Codependent.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So does the tag 'things that suck' refer to the intervals or you? Because you do keep going back for more. Just saying...

    ReplyDelete
  19. yeah I had my bi-weekly fling with intervals last night, she left me at the curb tied and beaten...can't wait for next week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's one thing I do not agree about with the FIRST plan, is the amount of intervals that they have you doing.

    I see little value in increasing your VO2, unless you're truly trying to focus on running a 5k or something shorter. Any race above a 5k, you shouldn't even be running near VO2 max.

    You'll have better gains focusing on LT work and building endurance, but that is just my opinon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Why did you gender assign Long Slow Distance as male? Do you want to tell us something?

    Intervals definitely are the Chris Brown of our relationship. Too soon?

    ReplyDelete
  22. "Intervals definitely are the Chris Brown of our relationship."

    Nitmos posted my thought.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice post! I haven't been healthy enough to do intervals, but I look forward to this disfunctional relationship!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ohhhhh Vanilla that comment made me LMAO!

    As for intervals? We go through a breakup period for a good 3-4 months. It's the only way I can survive.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So, have you been wandering around in my head whenever I do track intervals? Sounds a whole lot like what I think every time -- love the first one because I'm fast and bad. But, everything goes downhill fast after that.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is why I don't get involved with intervals. Too needy.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love intervals! We get along real well--maybe because I get off from the stomach turning sensation? Hills is where I have a shakey relationship.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.