Thursday, March 5, 2009

I would run 600 miles...

These are my old Asics 2110s (right), as of yesterday they have logged 600 miles. Some people say that you should change your running shoes out every 400 - 500 miles and some people even go so far as to say that you should change them at 300 miles, but you need to remember that some people are liars. Some people who are not liars are paid to sell shoes which can often lead to becoming a liar. It’s like they say; if all you have is a hammer then every problem looks like a nail and if you’re a running shoe salesman then every problem’s solution is to buy new shoes. It’s time we stopped being duped by the running shoe companies, it’s time for us to demand the truth from Big Running Shoe, because hey, like we need an excuse to buy another pair of running shoes.

While I’ve certainly had shoes that were clearly done after 300 miles *ahem - Mizunos suck* I don’t subscribe to the idea that an arbitrary mileage number should signify that the shoes need to be replaced. My 2110s still provide the support and cushioning that I need and they’re still in the active running shoe rotation. I’m kind of hoping that they’ll reach 700 miles someday although that’s admittedly going to take some time because they no longer rack up the miles like a starting pitcher. I like to think of them more along the lines of middle relief pitching, they are there to take some of the pressure off the starters.

Finally, just in case you didn’t recognize where I was going from the title or in case you didn’t properly get that song stuck in your head, there is a video to accompany the post. Click play and let the Scottish brogue wash over you with its rolled r’s and cut off e’s, cleansing you from all your worries like a fine Single Malt. Is it too early to start drinking?

23 comments:

  1. those asics sure last forever. i used to be stuck with a single pair per track season and i'd get at least 750 miles in them before i could really start complaining to my parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what the video tells us is that if you run to long in the same pair of shoes you'll start to see double.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, 600 miles that's WAY past my 300. Those shoes look like they could last forever. I might have to try out some asics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for that. I will now jam an ice pick into my forehead to get that song out of my brain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I welcome your brazen attitude and expect a full injury update in the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah I can't ever let go of my shox either. I've got 2 of my 5 pair with 500+ miles and they make good east run/cross trainers.

    And hey the Ethiopian guy who won the marathon at the 1960 Rome Olympics was barefoot.

    Just sayin - it could be worse!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that song. . . and I change my shoes a lot. It's a sickness. I just like clean and cute shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So is it cheating if I didn't watch the video? Because I just really don't have time to be plagued with that song for the remainder of the day. Not that I don't already have it stuck in my head without the video though. Dammit might as well have watched the video!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ditto on the Asics. They just last. However, it doesn't keep me from havng 3 pairs of Asics in the rotation...

    Now that song is stuck in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a one pair of shoes at a time kind of gal. When I reach 500 miles, I get new ones. Maybe I should try this whole "rotation" shoe thing, yeah?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Asics are the Toyotas of running shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE that song...but I truly have no freakin' idea what "havering" is. Probably some bizarre Irish tradition that is best done when drunk.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I use Etonic Jepara SC and have gotten more than 700 miles out of at least the last 2 pair. Brooks Adrenaline GTS, on the other hand, would only give me 350-400 miles. Unfortunately, Etonic has changed their Jepara and the Jepara 2 are not as good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My sister suggested Asics, now I'm hooked. They have the happy juju that my feet needed.
    Great song... haven't heard that in a while... :) But then again, anything Scottish Rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Since everyone in this chunk of the interblags is talking about whoring - you certainly pimp-slapped Mizunos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mizunos suck. No coughing required.

    ReplyDelete
  17. At first I was going to mock you for confusing a brogue (what we Micks speak with) with a burr (what The Dress-Wearing Girly-Scots speak with) and then taunt you, the Brit, with not knowing the correct terms for the speaking inflections of the peoples of the territories YOUR war-lovin' people conquered and cruelly kept under the yolk of oppression for centuries.

    But apparently, the burr/brogue distinction is one that very few make anymore, and it has become acceptable to get it out-and-out wrong, the way you did. (In much the same way that farting in church is now acceptable because the new Pope is notoriously - and infallibly - flatulent.)

    So, instead, I'll just note that, while researching this question, I came across an actual word burrawang. It doesn't matter what it really means, because I'm using your blog as a Bully Pulpit from which to proclaim its NEW meaning, viz.,

    What You Will Find Under A Scotsman's Kilt.

    And by "you" I mean you, Vanilla.

    That's right. I've heard things.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My Asics last well past 400 miles, but I also rotate two pairs. My current two are both going to break 100 miles this week, and I'm planning on having a party for them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. And it's a good thing I didn't taunt you because obviously I meant "yoke of oppression" - but with you Brits, who can tell? You might have found a way to oppress with eggs, you eggs-and-bangers-eating b@st@rds.

    This is probably worse than fat-fingering the same comment.

    Hence ... I now rule.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I run in Asics and when they reach 300 miles I can completely feel the diffrence between the 300mi pair and a new pair. So can my knees. Or have I been brainwashed?

    Anyway... there is no way mine can last to 600+miles. You must have a feather-lite stride. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I stick by the 500 mile guideline. Although I can usually feel the 500 miles coming on when the shoes past 400.

    BTW, I totally got the reference before even reading the post. Best song ever!

    ReplyDelete
  22. As a skirt wielding girly-Scot (oh, hang on, I'm a girl, I'm allowed to wear a skirt) I just love that video. Those boys are awesome!
    Oh, shoes, that's right! I wear my shoes and never remember to replace them until I start to get sore. Naughty.

    ReplyDelete
  23. "Is it too early to start drinking?"

    One of my favorite Google Widgets is the "It's five o'clock somewhere."

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.