Tuesday, April 7, 2009

12 Miles

If you’re training for a half-marathon 12 miles is a long run. If you’re running Boston in 2 weeks 12 miles means you’re in taper mode. If you’re training for a marathon that’s more than 2 weeks away then 12 miles is probably a midweek run but if you’re me, 12 miles is the combined total mileage that you’ve run in the last 2 weeks. That’s right, in the last 2 weeks I’ve run exactly 12 miles. I probably deserve an award or something. During the past 2 weeks I’ve wondered why I’m not getting any faster and why my fitness is not improving like it should. I’ve complained about gaining a few pounds and acted like I couldn’t figure out what might have caused it.

The funny thing is that my lack of mileage these past 2 weeks hasn’t been due to a lack of motivation. Life just keeps getting in the way and I’ve been genuinely frustrated at being unable to find the time to run. These past two weeks I’ve been invited to family dinners, I’ve had to work late, I’ve been invited to bachelor parties, I’ve committed to dinner plans with friends and on my free nights I’ve watched mother nature step in with harsh wind and snow storms. I know, I know, cry me a river. I’m so popular that I don’t have the time to run in all those pairs of free shoes that I’ve been given. Woe is me. I’m sure you’re all feeling desperately sorry for me, but that’s not my intent. No, the intent of this post is to put everyone on notice.

If you want to spend time with me in the evening then you’d better schedule it after my run. You want me to help you with something on Saturday? Not until after my run. You want me to make an appearance at your party? Don’t schedule it during one of my runs. From now on, running takes priority over all extracurricular events and I’m not working late on nights that I have a run planned either. I’m a banker for crying out loud, since when did bankers EVER work late? Not since they needed to get their runs in, that’s when.

This goes for my family too. You need Daddy to fix that toy that you broke? Not until after my run. You need a ride to the hospital because you broke your arm falling off something you shouldn’t have been standing on in the first place? Call an ambulance, Daddy has to run. You need your husband to fix the toilet that won’t stop running? Not until after he stops running. You can’t control your raw, animalistic desires and want to rip off your husband’s clothes the second he gets home from work? . . . I guess my run can wait an extra 3 minutes. I wouldn’t want to seem obsessive about this whole ‘running takes priority’ thing.

19 comments:

  1. You know, I keep telling myself that if I didn't have to spend eight plus hours a day in the salt mine I could do the runs, the gym, the whole "ooh, ahh, ain't I amazing!" stuff.
    However, I realized one key ingredient...given the choice between abusing my well fed, and I might add, well proportioned physique, or enjoying a few more minutes of whatever past time I do enjoy that doesn't involve movement of any muscle...I'd sooner watch someone else work out on the TV.
    Vicarious exercise...it's amazing. All the exhausting mental exercise without any of the sweat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Join the humilitation contest, yo. All the cool kids are doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Training by osmosis. Great concept stevej.

    As for vanilla pudding, what more can I say that hasen't been said already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had to do this too - only I think my friends and family are starting to think something's wrong with me! "You can't go out because you need to RUN??!" With this odd, pitying and somewhat concerned expression. As if next they're expecting me to say, "Hi, my name is Joselyne, and I am a runner..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. what you didn't make clear is that, while you are out running, your family should be doing things to make your life easier; ie making dinner or earning a cub scout badge for broken bone resetting...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Half miles for Half Fast. I'm glad I wasn't drinking my chai or a Pepsi when I read the last paragraph.

    Hey, life is why 5:20am runs work best for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Shilingi-Moja, I'm up at 5:00am to get ready for work without trying to get a run in, which means I'd have to get up at 3:30 or 4:00 (depending on how long the run was supposed to be) to run before work. Otherwise I'd be all over that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times: That Candis is a lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sure sounds like you've got the runs.

    Lame?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woe is you? I thought Vanilla was you. And is 3 minutes self-deprecating or a yet another sympton of your vanity. Either way - ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Symptom. Symptom!

    I hate when that happens...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Um, dude, I'm 5 and 1/2 months pregnant and I've run more than that in the past 2 weeks. If that doesn't shame you, I don't know what will.

    ReplyDelete
  13. And I was actually feeling bad about running only 12 miles in one week....

    All joking aside, I've come to the conclusion that runners need to be a little selfish about getting in their runs. Or else they would never happen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post! As a runner you need to be selfish from time to time... you got schtuff to get done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I laughed because I just ran 12 miles last night. I admire your fortitude. Running comes first! Or, at least second or third, or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. At least you get credit for fessing up to your lazyness... I mean busy social life. All of us runners are selfish. Goes with the territory.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Woe is he who shan't stand up for his run. He shall be known as "Half" a man.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good luck keeping those rules in place. And if any of those cool shoes are a size 11, let me know. I'll send you my mailing address. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. For all the runners out there planning on running the Healthy Kidney 10k on May 16th, I just posted a course map and elevation chart on my blog www.nycin310.com so drop by and check it out. And start strategizing for this years race on May 16th '09!

    Best,

    Jason@nycin310.com
    www.nycin310.com

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.