Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Anna Kournikova is Running


Former tennis Champion player Anna Kournikova recently participated in the Nautica South Beach Triathlon (½ mile swim, 19 mile bike, 4 mile run), and when I say that she participated in the Triathlon I mean that she just did the running part. That’s my kind of Tri. Kournikova was the running leg of a relay team that completed the tri in 1:30:58. In doing the tri, Kournikova was able to accomplish something that she was never able to do in the tennis world; being officially referred to as #1. Oooh, that one’s gonna’ sting for a while!

Carrying tennis racquets around helps you know who she is.

This story has been reported on several of the celebrity gossip blogs mostly because there are some good close-ups of Ms. Kournikova’s butt in spandex. (For the record, I would never stoop to objectifying chicks like that here at Half-Fast.) The story was also reported by EverymanTri but despite all the coverage that this has received no one has yet reported how fast Kournikova ran her 4 mile leg of the race. No one until now. I did a little investigative reporting (looked up the results) and discovered that Kournikova posted a time of 27:53 for her 4 mile leg, a blistering 6:59 pace.

Color me impressed. I was expecting something much slower but I probably should have known better. Despite being an easy target and never having won any singles titles, Kournikova was at one time a world class athlete, breaking into the top 10 during the peak of her career. It really shouldn’t surprise me that she’s faster than I am, and that commands my respect. Plus, she’s smokin’ hott! I just don’t know what she sees in Enrique Iglesias. What does he have that I don’t? (Rhetorical.)

You can read Kournikova’s recap of the race on her blog here. (She’s probably overjoyed to have just received a link from Half-Fast!)

Thanks for the tip on this story to awesome reader Chris, who once attained the number one ranking in the world for coolness, but lost it when they found out he drove a VW Bug (total chick car).

24 comments:

  1. Did you write something? I just saw a bunch of letters cluttering up the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I love me some Anna. Glad to see she's looking a little more healthy these days instead of the bag of bones she was for a bit.

    6:59 is no joke, although what on earth is she wearing? K-Swiss couldn't have hooked her up with something cuter than that Target mess? You're Anna Kournikova for crying out loud! How am I supposed to feel bad about myself if my running gear is more flattering than your running gear?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never mind the time, can you do some investigation and some more pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's Russian. She could run 7 minute miles in heels and a miniskirt, clutching a purse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang, 6:59? I guess she's not as worthless as I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What I'd like to know is, is since when can you use roller blades to run a race? (that specimen on roller blades behind her in the race pic). I KNOW I could be a 6:59 runner...wearing roller blades.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry, but I'm still not convinced about those pictures.
    I will need more samples for me to be completely objective in my analysis of her running...um...uh...running form. Yes, that is what I was meaning to get to...uh...I'm sorry, what are we talking about again?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was a four-miler, but you could e-mail her and tell her she won the "Shave Your 5k" challenge by reducing last year's time by 1:06. She will be so happy she will want to bear your children. I'm certain this will work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She set a PR in hotness.

    What? No good?

    ReplyDelete
  10. 3/4 pants and a long sleeve shirt, must have been a freezing 74 where she was running...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Doesn't LOOK freezing.

    Why did I come back here again? Oh, that's right.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm definitely impressed. I had no idea tennis players could run too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm with CX2, what is she wearing? And in South Beach, no less. She probably ran so fast because she was broiling in those clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. only 1:30?
    I did it in 1:37 and got like 50th!

    didn't look like that though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You may (or may not) be equally impressed to learn that I was her inspiration...

    ReplyDelete
  16. They only beat you by 7 minutes babe, and their course was only 7.9 miles longer. Well, 7.5 by the time you turned around and came back for your bib. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hate that some people are just natural runners. Why can't that be me?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice heels Anna!

    (Just in case she checks your oh-so-awesome blog)

    ReplyDelete
  19. LMAO I'm with Xenia. Wonder how fast her husband/boyfriend/whatever the heck Enrique is to her, can run.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Judging from the top photo, she accomplished a 6:59 pace because she has three legs, and one of them was on wheels.

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL, Kristina and I are totally on the same page. Half-Fast, I was surprised you didn't comment on the hilarity of that initial photo!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I bet the roller blader never went past her either. I know I would have etch that tattoo into the old memory block.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Could you ask Candis to write a post with some gratuitious MALE running celebrities for the female readership of half-fast!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I agree. The ladies dont give a you-know-what about Anna. Did you know the Malibu Triathlon has a "celebrity relay"? (Yes, the relay just for celebrities. Give me a break) Anyway, why dont you update us after that event ... on some of the male participants. I'd like to see some pictures please.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.