Saturday, May 3, 2008

Weekend Splits

Weekend Splits is my recap of things that I found interesting or humorous over the past week. If you have a submission for the weekend splits e-mail me.


Ouch!


From Track & Field News; “Stanford’s Alicia Follmar took a hard fall on the leadoff leg of the Penn women’s distance medley. While she was on the ground, Follmar took a spike to the head but got up to finish a gutsy 3rd, the same position in which her team ultimately finished behind Michigan and Tennessee.”

  • Leading off the Weekend Splits as always is my article over at CRN about the poses that runners strike for the camera. If you haven’t already read it then please go check it out because you’ll hurt my feelings if you don’t, and I’ve gotta’ warn you... I’m a cryer.
  • Nitmos’ Lance Armstrong post was quite humorous and if anyone does know of an athlete with “speed yielding teats” then I too would love to suckle at them.
  • The Science of Sport started a new series on Fatigue and Exercise and how it can affect your pacing strategy. It’s fascinating stuff that is worth your time even though some of it is above my level of comprehension.
  • Roman over at Everyman Tri has a great article titled Taking Matters into Your own Hands, and if you’re taking that in the worst possible way that it could be taken then you’re on the right track.
  • jkrunning found herself surrounded by armed Marines on her last training run, probably because she was singing along to Xanadu. I’m quite certain that subjecting others to Xanadu is a capital offense, if it’s not, it should be.
  • Saucony Marketing left a comment a couple of weeks ago on an old post (Half-Fast Pronunciation Guide). They said that they’d never heard of anyone mispronouncing Saucony the way that I was, which I believe loosely translates to “you’re an idiot Vanilla!” They also pointed me to their new website, which I in turn am pointing you towards because maybe if they get enough traffic from Half-Fast they’ll send me a free pair of shoes. Who’s the idiot now?

Comments of the Week
Tons of great comments this week, especially on the Great Bike Giveaway post but I’m going to save those for another time. Two of my favorites were:

Frayed Laces on the My Favorite Running Hat post:
Totally my hat. Only I have the red “B” and the whole hat is one big sweat stain. The bonus? If you’re ever low on electrolytes, it’s a portable salt lick!

P.O.M. on the same post:
Like salt through the grungy hat,
so are the days of our lives.


Random Non-Running Related Video of the Week
Xenia at Diggin’ It sent in the following video for consideration as the Random Non-Running Related Video of the Week. As she mentioned in her e-mail it’s quite popular (over 14 million views on YouTube) but I hadn’t seen it before so maybe you haven’t either.


Have a great weekend everyone. Happy running!

13 comments:

  1. I really want that bike. I even gave you a hint on my latest blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally I think Xenia deserves a bike for sending that video.

    You can send it to me and I'll take care of it while she's overseas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very generous, Merry. :)

    Thanks for the link, Vanilla.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That chick is tough as the spike.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I played squash in college and I once was so enthusiastically chasing the ball in a match that I ran smack into the wall and cut my head open, and I had to be taken off the court and patched up by an incredulous Princeton coach. But apparently "no open wounds while competing" is not a rule in track! Gees that's hard core!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Check this out:

    http://www.boingboing.net/2008/05/03/bike-wheel-consistin.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm happy to note that one of the teams that may have trampled the intrepid 3rd place finisher in the photo was from MY state. Rock on Michiganders! (yes, lamentably,that's what we call ourselves) You fall in front of someone from MI, that's what you get.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And we all just lost some tough points. I'd say we all lost respect for Michiganders too, but we didn't have any in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A spike to the head. Holy crap. I would have bawled like a baby. In fact I am right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Um... Nitmos... are the males called Michiganders and the females Michigeese?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whaddya mean 'everyone asks that'? How many Fussy English Majors are there in the world?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the vid...only in Canada, aye!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.