Thursday, May 8, 2008

A Different Kind of Motivation

The following is a transcript of last night’s conversation between me and my ever supportive wife. Candis had just finished up her run, and I was trying to avoid mine. We have an unspoken agreement wherein you are allowed to say almost anything to your spouse to encourage them to go run. Here’s how that played out last night:

Me: I don’t feel like running tonight.
Candis: How come?
Me: I don’t know.
C: You really should go run though.
Me: [Dismissively] Yeah...
C: [Tilting her head a little to the side] Have you gained some weight?
Me: Ha ha, very funny. Actually, I think I’m down a couple pounds, so no I haven’t gained weight thankyouverymuch.

Moments later:
C: Hey I was looking at the running log you posted the other day and I think you may have copied it down wrong.
Me: Really? Why?
C: Well some of the times that you posted looked a little... you know... SLOW!
Me: I know what you’re trying to do, and it’s not going to work. I’m not a child. I can’t just be goaded into going running.
C: Alright, come here.
[She hugs me, I debate trying out a pick up line but before I get the chance...]
C: Are you sure you haven’t gained weight because you feel a little flabbier.
Me: I don’t think that’s a word. (According to Merriam-Webster it is. Great, just one more thing I’m wrong about.) And you smell a little sweaty.
C: That’s because I ran.
Me: Well maybe I don’t want to smell sweaty like you do.
C: Well maybe I didn’t want to be flabby like you are.

Yes, I went and ran. My wife for her part went and showered. Without me. :(

P.S. Today is your last chance to register an entry in the Great Bike Giveaway. Be sure to tune in tomorrow for the announcement of the winner. It could be you! Odds are it won’t be, but it could be.

11 comments:

  1. Your wife cracks me up. . . . . . . . so do you; but she might be a little tiny bit more manipulative & I DIG THAT ABOUT HER!!!

    You’re good, but she just might be better, just a little. You did go run after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, I've NEVER been a FIRST comment-er on your blog; I feel extra cool & special right now. . .thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is my husbands sure fire way to get me to run, he asks me if I've gained weight.

    It works every time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It could be you! Odds are, it won't be...

    Truer words were ne'er spoken.

    Damn you, Vanilla, I could have clung to the illusion of being a winner... sniff, sniff, flings self down and wails in a heart-rending fashion.

    On the other hand, kudos to your wife! I need someone to gently nudge me into exercise. The dog doesn't count. At her age, exercise consists of tottering over to the nearest bush and sniffing for several seconds. Can I borrow your pooch for a drag? Um, I meant run.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That conversation was super cute! Awwwwwww....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can only aspire to one day be as awesome as your wife.

    Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just thinking how would that "motivation"work on her? If I said something like that to my fiance one of two things would happen: either I would be sleeping on the couch for a few weeks or something involving a blade and my baby making tools.
    Whatever works, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your wife is hilarious. When is she guest writing again?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your wife is so subtle (NOT!) and you are so slow. Don't you know that you should just give in from the get-go? She's going to win anyway! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha ha. She's funny.

    I thought of your pick up lines during my race on Saturday. I swear this girl ran up to a guy next to me and said "Nice form. Are you from around here?" NIce form? How cheesy is that?

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.