Thursday, October 8, 2009

Free Stuff

Someone who likes to go by the inconspicuous name of Anonymous left a comment on my last post that was really long and looked like it would be tiring to read in its entirety, but the gist of it (I think) was that there’s some law being considered that will require bloggers to disclose any free products that they receive or face an $11,000 fine. My first thought was ‘yeah OK, good luck trying to regulate that.’ I’m not going to get into the politics behind this because I like to believe that none of you have a good read on where I stand politically and that’s the way (uh huh, uh huh) I like it, but I do want to respond to the comment. Despite my burgeoning image as a product whore, I really don’t receive that much free stuff and I have always disclosed anything that was given to me for free. Believe it or not, I even turn things down from time to time.

Did you know that I once received an e-mail from Propel Enhanced Water* offering me a coupon for a free bottle of Propel but I turned them down because the last thing I need is to buoy my image as a sellout, especially since all they were offering in return was a $1.83 coupon. And I like Propel Enhanced Water. A lot. Now, if they want to give me a car covered in Propel ads (like the Red Bull car) and have me drive it around then I’d be happy to help them promote their line of Propel Enhanced Water, which has less calories than Gatorade other unnamed sports drinks. (I have a really long commute, you people at Propel should totally do this! How many times do I have to mention it before someone takes notice?) But I would absolutely disclose the fact that they gave me a car (or maybe a bicycle?) so that you people knew that I had received something in return for my endorsement of Propel Enhanced Water, but as of right now I have not received anything (not even a logoed tech shirt?).

For the record, let’s set some things straight: If you see links over there on the side bar and they’re under a section heading of Paying My Race Fees or Sponsored Links, you’re never going to believe this, but I get paid for having those links there. I’m glad I confessed that, I’ve been worried sick that you guys thought I was just really that excited about Leptovox (whatever the hell that is). Any links that you see under Half-Fast Recommends or Running Links are not paid for. Those are just links that I like or recommend. I’ve had advertisers specifically request to put their link in the Half-Fast Recommends section but you can’t pay to get in there, all you can do to get in there is be funnier or more interesting.

Because this blog is not really dedicated to giving serious advice (see tagline) I don’t get many offers to do product reviews and that’s OK with me. Let’s take a look at the list of things that I’ve received for free so that I can brag about it it’s out in the open and there’s no hint of impropriety:
  • Pearl Izumi Running Shoes - on a couple of occasions including a pair that were given away as part of a contest.
  • Clif Family Wines - yes there is a Clif Family Winery, however I was given the wine after I had already written about their wine not prior to it, they’re just really nice people.
  • Tech4o running watch.
  • Pro Wash detergent - this barely got mentioned in a post by Candis.
  • SofSole insoles - these didn’t get mentioned at all. Note to marketers: I’m an awesome product promoter, send me more free stuff to review!

See, no Propel Enhanced Water on that list (not even a free Propel visor?). I just love Propel Enhanced Water. All this just to tell you guys that I disclose it anytime I get something in return for mentioning a product, it really doesn’t happen as often as you’d think, and not nearly often enough. Technically, I don’t just disclose it, I shout it from the rooftops to rub it in your faces because it makes me feel big and important. Now go buy some Propel (OK fine, I’ll take the stupid $1.83 coupon) and tell them I sent you, tell them repeatedly.

*PROPEL is a registered trademark of Stokely-Van Camp, Inc. and can be purchased at retailer in your area or on their product website.**
** Seriously, I’ve really never received anything from Propel.

16 comments:

  1. Strange. I figured all English bloggers had deals with tea and marmalade companies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then why did you tell me off air at a podcast taping that you HATED Propel and, if they sent you anything for free, you would immediately criticize it publicly in the most derisive terms possible??

    Oh, maybe you want to do that. Shhh, that'll be our secret then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn! When I heard about this legislation on NPR (89.7 WKSU) though my after-market Panasonic CQ-C5305U in-dash CD player in my Hyundai Accent during my morning drive, I thought: Finally, some justice! Vanilla will suffer the consequences for his whorish behavior!

    Way to ruin it for me ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Freebies are freebies and money is money! If I could get my hands on some I would. Hell, I even volunteered at a marathon just to get some free stuff. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want my own segment on your blog as a result of this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your own section?!? You're on the bubble to begin with, mostly for your profile image.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude, I've been waiting months for your take on Leptovox. Really!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ironically (or maybe not) there were three links to Gatorade after your post on my Google Reader. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey! Return that check I sent you to be in your sidebar. Fraud.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm still pissed about you getting those free shoes. Still.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, but how do you treat your interns? That's the real question.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The real question here is why would a blogger recieve free merchandise and NOT brag about it to make other bloggers feel bad?

    ReplyDelete
  13. if Propel sends you anything, I'm stealing this post but inserting BMW.

    ReplyDelete
  14. For the record, you're hilarious. LOL. Loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That comment that anonymous left was strange.

    Propel however, is certainly a delicious drink that I would of course use for all of my post exercise refueling needs. (Now, 1/4 of any free stuff goes to me)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lets see...you're a runner which runs counter to the Republican memo which says all runners are liberals, but you work for the banks which means that you do have...at the least..."some" sympathies to the Republican platform which says, "we like bankers who like us."

    So...hmm...seeing that you've been slumping off on your running of late I'd have to go with liberal minded Independent burdened with guilt about his fetish for Republicans.
    Amirite?!?

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.