Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Hey! What’s This? A New Post?

In case you haven’t noticed I haven’t been around lately. I haven’t posted, I haven’t commented on any of your blogs, heck, I haven’t even read any of your blogs. You see I have this thing called a day job and lately things have been pretty crazy. Good crazy not bad crazy. All the hard work and effort that I put into blaming other people for my mistakes and taking credit for their good ideas is finally paying off. So during the past week and a half I’ve had to do most of my blogging late at night after I get home from work and... well... you can see how well that’s worked out for me. I kept telling myself “good gracious Ian, you’ve got to write a post tonight after work. It’s been 3 days since your last post!” I’m so polite when I talk to myself, but then I never actually wrote any posts and when 3 days turned into 9 days I said to myself “listen you lazy sack of maggot-riddled-crap! You get busy writing a post tonight and get it posted or else you’re going to lose readers!” But apparently I don’t respond well to yelling and threats either because that just made me drink more during the evenings. To be honest with you guys I just didn’t feel like writing at all after work and I was wondering how I was ever going to write another post again because frankly I’ve been too busy with work to write a coherent post at the office.

Then just this morning, totally out of the blue, I pushed aside some pressing work issues and directed all my calls to voice mail. I opened up blogger and for no particular reason I just started typing. I typed to the end of the line and when I got there I thought maybe I’d type to the end of the paragraph. Now that I’m this far I figure I’ll just type a whole blog post. I’m like the Forrest Gump of typing. “You might not believe me if I told you, but I can type like the wind blows.” I’m back, baby! Just in time so that no one will have noticed my increased productivity around the office and won’t come to expect it of me.

You’re all probably wondering what happened to the lack of motivation that I talked about two weeks ago. Well, my plan worked. My laziness has been contagious and Candis has not been running or training much either. Welcome to the dark side. Anyway, with the Denver Half Marathon a mere two weeks away, we both needed to force ourselves to do a long run this past Saturday and I came up with an idea that I thought was brilliant (because it was my idea). Candis got up early on Saturday morning (brilliant!) made bacon for breakfast (brilliant!) then she got in the car and drove 12 miles away from home. She parked the car and ran home. Meanwhile I slept in (brilliant!) ate some bacon (brilliant!) and waited for her to return. When she arrived home, I ran 12 miles out to the car to pick it up. There was no quitting because the fastest way to be done was to get to the car. Next time we do this, I’m going to ask her not to tell me where the car is, instead she can just give me her Garmin (pbtn) and I’ll retrace her steps. It will be like geocaching. (Note: I have absolutely no clue what geocaching is, but using a Garmin to find your car sounds to me like something that would fit the definition of geocaching.) Besides you know how women are with cars and directions, it just makes more sense to put your faith in a Garmin (pbtn) than in any woman’s sense of direction, amiright?

Well, that’s probably enough for today, someone down the hall just had a great idea and I need to pass it off as my own to upper management. Time to get back to work. Ahhh, who am I kidding, I’ve got a boatload of blog posts to get to in my Google Reader and sarcastic comments to leave. I understand someone had an 18 minute marathon PR while I was gone. Of course, I’ll probably choose to focus on the fact that he still missed his goal by 4 minutes and change. FAIL much?

17 comments:

  1. Great, you've been doing actual work. Do I predict the next financial meltdown now or should I wait a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing's for sure. Time away hasn't made you any wittier.

    Speaking of PRs, when are you going to have one this year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Good gracious"?

    Don't you have doilies to knit? When's Matlock going to be on?
    Dinner at 4:30!

    You talk old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's actually a really good idea for long runs. Clearly it was stolen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course you're right with the directions comment. I do like that Garmin idea too...any frivolous use of the Garmin is smart. I'll have to give that a try right after I get around to running that 5-mile route shaped like a big penis just so everyone on Garmin Connect can see it on the map.

    ReplyDelete
  6. RunneRMark, that's an excellent idea! I can't believe I haven't thought of it previously. Of course, now I'll have to run an 8 mile route so that mine is bigger than yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just waiting for Nitmos to post something about why your run has to be linear as he's the only one of the goof troop that's missing... :)

    Good to have you back and congrats on accomplishing some actual work... can you come over yonder and do some for me because I've got tunnel vision like a mo-fo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm just waiting for Nitmos to post something about why your run has to be linear as he's the only one of the goof troop that's missing... :)

    Good to have you back and congrats on accomplishing some actual work... can you come over yonder and do some for me because I've got tunnel vision like a mo-fo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy cow, I thought you had died or something. There are few blogs that make me laugh out loud and yours is one of them. Don't you ever do that to me again, capesh?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, don't sweat the absence, Ian. I quit reading you like 18 months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd say that navigation joke was uncalled for if I didn't use the GPS in the car to get to my mailbox.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dude, How are women with directions?

    Then explain to me why we're always able to find the guys lost keys, sunglasses and wallet?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Actually I always like the out and back course, because it is really only half the distance that is hard. Once you get out there, you just go home - who can't get that done?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Apropos of nothing. Did you hear about the FTC cracking down on bloggers who take freebies as compensation for writing product reviews? Here is the excerpt from yesterday's seekingalpha.com:

    "Regulating bloggers. New FTC guidelines will require bloggers to disclose any money or freebies they receive in exchange for writing product reviews, an attempt to bring mainstream media rules to the internet. A blogger or social-media user who endorses a product without disclosing his connection to the company will face an $11,000 per-post fine"

    Better not lose the day job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "FAIL much?" The irony of that line with your half marathon coming up - and your disclosure of preparedness - is truly mind boggling. What will Viper do with it??

    ReplyDelete
  16. HA! Now that I read what RunnRMark said, I want to troll the GPS websites to see if anyone has already done this.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.