Monday, October 19, 2009

So Much For My Happy Ending

The Denver Half Marathon Race Report

Wherein I run the juvenile ‘happy ending’ allegory into the ground.

Given the lack of training and motivation that I have displayed over the last several weeks my goal going into this race was to run at a leisurely pace and enjoy it. Candis had hoped to PR in this race but given that we’ve been passing the same cough back and forth for the last few days it was not in the cards. Seriously, between the two of us we left more phlegm and snot on the Denver Half Marathon course than should be legally allowed. If Denver area runners break out with some kind of epidemic over the next few days it will be entirely our fault.

Candis finished in 2:21:00 (a 10:46 pace) and I managed a relaxed 2:06:55 (a 9:41 pace). This is the first half marathon that Candis had run without me at her side and she is feeling good about the accomplishment despite missing a PR. As for me, I thought about running with Candis again this year, but as is often the case I was more concerned with getting to my happy ending than helping her reach hers.

The temperature at the start was a chilly 50 degrees (burrrrrrr!) so we had to huddle together until the starting gun went off. This kept us sufficiently warm and also kept the other runners sufficiently nauseated. We ran together for a couple of blocks before I ditched Candis and went off on my own. Throughout the course I was a high-fiving, cheering machine. If anyone wanted a high five, I swerved over and gave them one (usually right after I had finished coughing into my hand). If someone was holding up an encouraging sign I thanked them as I went by, even all the people holding the “your feet only hurt because you’re kicking so much asphalt” signs which are both unoriginal and serve only to remind me that my feet are hurting.

I arrived at mile 9 enjoying myself and feeling pretty strong. Somewhere in my head a part of my brain kicked in to gear and ran some quick (and incorrect) calculations. “Hey, if you run the last 3 miles at an 8:15 pace you can still break 2 hours!” And so I sped up, hoping to get my happy ending after all and not realizing that my math was horrendously incorrect or that there were actually 4 miles left, not 3. My aspirations were fugacious (word of the day, anyone?) as I quickly realized that I would not be finishing in under 2 hours. I slowed down and went back to spreading cheer. Mostly cheer, with only a few germs mixed in. So much for my happy ending.

Look at these happy runners, surely they didn’t just post PWs?

22 comments:

  1. I like it - purveyor of the next epidemic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were you wearing your good luck race-day cargo shorts? That could've been the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last week on CNN it was balloon boy. This week, the rapid outbreak of H1N1 across the country, apparently originating from the Denver area. Allegations abound that balloon family may have spread virus from the air. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, single-handedly spreading the swine flu all over Denver. Oh well, as long as you keep it out of Chicago I dont give a crap who you give it to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well at least you spread something if not love and cheer.

    Congrats on your race, sorry it wasn't exactly what you wanted.

    Get em on the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice day for a race. Glad it helped you clear out some of your phlegm. 2:06 may not be what you wanted, but still strong!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats to you both!

    And seriously, I'm glad you weren't at my Marathon because I might have killed you and your filthy germs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww, you two are adorable. I love mushy squishy couples. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Running and dripping is no fun, I don't know how you did it for 12+ miles...get well, get strong!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The New Typhoid Mary = H1N1 Vanilla.

    Grats on some nice results despite the illnesses.

    Sorry about calling you Mary...

    ReplyDelete
  11. "The temperature at the start was a chilly 50 degrees (burrrrrrr!)"
    Bite. Me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats to you & Candis - sounds like you did an awesome job loosening up all the phlegm & spreading the wealth!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 50 degrees is certainly no reason to complain.

    But you finished the course, therefore you win. Amazing how much fun it is to run a race easy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. nothing says "I love you" like spreading a little germ love.

    Awesome, now I have that avril lavine song in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Will the country have to get a shot for this, too?

    You married up, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats to you both on the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations for the post and the race!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on being THAT GUY! The crowd loves that guy, boogery hand and all!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Judging by that photo, you wear FAIL well. Maybe that can be your new "thing".

    Way to overcome mildly chilly (i.e. nearly perfect) temperature to finish the race! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on enjoying the race. I hope your plague stays in the Rockies. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on having a fun race!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats!

    (Also, you need to reset your Bolder Boulder 10K counter.)

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.