Friday, October 30, 2009

Last Minute Halloween Costumes for Runners

Tomorrow is Halloween and if you’re like me you’ve waited until the last minute to think about what kind of costume you’re going to wear and now it’s too late to make that awesome Geico pile of money costume. Of course if you were really like me then you’d have some wicked good dancing skills and a Gorilla Ice costume to fall back on, but since you have two left feet and a dearth of gorilla suits lying around I’m going to help you out with a last minute Halloween costume suggestion for runners. Was that not clear from the title?

Are you ready for this? Go dressed as... a runner. I can already hear you saying “But I am a runner, so why is that a good costume?” It’s a good costume because many of the people at your Halloween party probably don’t know that you are a runner or may have never seen you running. It’s like when I go dressed as a banker, talk about a funny costume! I get all the laughs, especially when I do my dancing banker bit. Plus, this is a last minute idea so while dressing as a giant iPhone may sound like a good idea you probably don’t have a spare flatscreen lying around that you can use, but if you do then send it my way.

Here’s what you’ll need: running shoes, short shorts, a singlet with an old race bib pinned to it, Band-Aids for your nipples (or red food dye on the singlet), a watch and a headband. The headband is necessary for selling your costume as an obsessed runner, but what is really going to sell this is not what you wear but how you act. You should be in a hurry wherever you go. Grab people’s drinks out of their hand like they were a race volunteer and chug them as you run off, better yet splash them all over your face and toss the cup to the side. People won’t ever get tired of your drink-stealing antics and hey, free drinks for you all night!

If you don’t think you can get away with stealing drinks wear your fuel belt and fill up your 6oz flasks with your beverage of choice. Not only do you have a rockin’ costume but you can also have your hands free all night and you won’t forget where you left your drink. (Note: If you do forget where you left your drink, it’s on your hip and you are way too drunk. Go home now before you make a fool of yourself.)

You’re also going to want to stretch a lot. Don’t be afraid to bend over and touch your toes right in front of people or to just cop a squat wherever you are to do some stretches. Wear a watch with a stopwatch so that you can annoyingly time everything that anyone does.
Friend: “I’ll be right back, I’m going to the bathroom.”
You: “OK, I’ll time you. Ready... Set... GO!”
*When they return*
You: “3 minutes and 22 point 47 seconds! That’s a new personal worst! What on earth were you doing in there?”

Don’t you go looking for a bathroom though, just go pee by the side of the road as you would in a race. Blow snot rockets and wipe the debris on the bottom of your shirt. Wear an old race medal because when are you ever going to have another chance to wear it and not feel like an attention seeking showoff. Wearing your medal also gives people who may not know that you are a runner the opportunity to ask you where you got it, which gives you an opening to be an attention seeking showoff and tell them all about the marathon you ran while allowing you to stay in character as an obsessive runner.

If you don’t like my suggestion then you could always go as balloon boy or Kate Gosselin, but you know that everyone is going to be doing that. Be original. Be a runner.

17 comments:

  1. I went as a runner to a costume party last December. Wore all my marathon swag. It was awesome.

    Happy Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok so I'm being a Zombie Runner but seriously... some of the other details you've mentioned here makes me wish I were actually attending a Halloween Party so I could be an obnoxious runner! :) LMAO! Great post! Happy Halloween!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ad some road rash and an old tech shirt with shoe prints on it...here's a great site to do road rash..takes five minutes. http://www.instructables.com/id/ELY4RZ3RAJEQHOA8LZ/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect, my D tag is still on my running shoes from the race 2 weeks ago!

    O, guess that means I haven't used them since then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some might say you've been masquerading as a runner all along. (rimshot)

    Thank you, thank you. I'm here all week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorilla Ice huh??? How did we manage to live before the internet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You could wear your marathon space blanket as a cape!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sadly, this costume played out at my office. Two running coworkers dressed as runners. One was a little more creative and dressed as our boss, who is also a runner. I dressed like you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh gawd...I was just getting over your candy post and now this, too too funny. Thanks for the acting tips too. I can't wait to be an obsessive, show off, attention seeking runner...wait, that's what I am every day. There goes that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was going to dress up as an "Elite Runner". Wear a bib with the #1 on it and tape around my waist as if I'm breaking it. I figured I could also do some other old stereotypes like the head and wrist sweatbands, short shorts, and knee high stripe socks. I love your idea of timing every mundane thing. Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. would you go as the runner who didn't catch his wife at a skirt chaser 5K?

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great excuse to poop myself in public. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  14. But I don't have any cargo shorts...Sorry, has everyone already beat that one to death?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I went as Flo the Progressive Insurance girl....too mcuh fun, but maybe next yr....a RUNNER! I thought this yrs costume was the most comfortable. Wearing my running gear will be even MORE comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hilarious. While we do not have a gorilla costume laying around the house, we DO have a cow costume (my spouse, don't ask). Last year he was the Chik-Fil-A cow.

    I love how the sportscar creeps up behind Gorilla Ice in the parking lot; one attention-seeking showoff butting into another's glory. Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I only do costumes I can make into "slutty _____".

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.