Thursday, October 15, 2009

Ugh. 7am?

I just discovered that the Denver Half Marathon starts at 7am? Um, why? It’s not like this is the middle of the summer and we need to get the race in before it gets too hot. It’s mid-October for crying out loud! Why not start this thing at 8 or 9 o’clock so that I can sleep in a little? As if that wasn’t bad enough their published Race Etiquette states that you should show up an hour and a half before the race starts. 5:30? You want me to be there at 5:30? I’ll still be hitting the snooze button at 5:30, and if that makes me discourteous then so be it. You show me someone that got up early enough to be there at 5:30 and I’ll show you a discourteous runner.

The good news is that the Denver Marathon claims to be ‘iPod friendly,’ which hopefully means that I can listen to my iPod and not that they don’t discriminate against any iPods that want to run the race. This is good news because in the event that I have a really good race and win this thing, I’d hate to get disqualified like that one chick that you’ve no doubt read about elsewhere by now.

I have no idea if you will be able to follow us on Sunday at the Denver Marathon website, but I have complete faith in your online stalking abilities. I doubt that there’s anyone out there who can’t wait until the Monday morning race report to hear how we did, especially since I have no race goals other than something about a happy ending that I didn’t quite follow in the previous post. (What? You think I understand my rambling posts any better than you do?)

Candis is looking for another PR in this race and should be within striking distance of achieving that end. Her time to beat is 2:17:14 which is the PR she set on this very same course last year. Given her recent success I’m certain that she’ll come in under that mark, the only question is how far under? My guess is 2:08:37, your guesses in the comments.

13 comments:

  1. You're complaining about a 7am start? Man up, Sally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I would want to follow your progress...why? Besides some of us will still be in bed at 7:00 AM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be up at 4:00am, sitting in front of my computer, tracking the prerace activity...

    ReplyDelete
  4. MGD 64, a race sponsor, is giving away free beer for a year to everyone who comes in 64th in their age group. If you like piss water, you might like this. So don't shoot for first if you were planning on it. Oh never mind I forgot who I was talking to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I agree. Getting up in the middle of the night to eat and have it digested before a race is already a hassle. At least let the sun come up on race day before I drive to the starting line!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go get 'em, Candis! I'd root for you, Ian, but our racing arrangement works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a 7AM start on Saturday too. WTF? I'll be there at 6:45 than you very much.

    Good to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck, can't wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. At least this way, you'll be done by 9 am! Well...Candis may be. You? We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best of luck out there. With an expected high of 76 on Sunday, I think the marathoners will be glad that it started at 7am.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really? I would kill for a 7am start to any day...even a race day...
    The last 10k I was able to run started at 6am, and that was a late start...of course that was in Afghanistan, too...
    The one race i ran that didn't start early, started at 6pm in Vegas...in August...in 110 degree heat. Midsummer nights dream(1ok) my ass

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck, have fun, run fast!!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.