Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Cheer Team Vanilla is Loud

Because I love my readers and everyone seems to enjoy seeing pictures of Cheer Team Vanilla I’m going to attempt to post a video of them at the race this past weekend. Please keep in mind that this was “filmed” on my camera phone so the quality will be worse than the Zapruder film. Also I should warn you that there is cowbell involved and it is quite loud. If you’re at work you might want to turn your speakers down and then write yourself a quick reminder to buy some contraceptives on your way home.



Ta Da!
From my cell phone to your computer. A home video posted here at Half-Fast. Talk about being on the cutting edge of technology! Does any other blog do things that are this advanced? I doubt it.

As you all know from reading yesterday’s post my wife ran a St. Paddy’s Day 5K this past weekend, and as usual our boys were happy to provide a cheering section. We positioned ourselves just past the starting line and the two of them screamed and yelled and rang their cowbells from some time roughly 2 minutes before the race started until every last participant had disappeared around the first turn. I think Mommy was embarrassed to be associated with us but I don’t blame her. At one point I even tried to scoot away from them so that I could look at them disdainfully as if to say “whose kids are those?” but unfortunately they stuck closely by my side.

After the noise had subsided a little I checked my course map to see where we could go and see the runners pass by again. However, since they had moved the starting line (more about that in yesterday’s post) and I have the mental capacity of a 7 year old I was not able to figure out where I was or where the race was going. Fearful of getting lost and ending up alone with two cowbell wielding boys I decided we’d just go wait at the finish. After standing for a couple of minutes at the finish I was sick of being bombarded by questions like “Is Momma coming yet?” “How much longer will it be?” “Can we go home now?” Fortunately there was a park right across the street.

We returned from the park in time to scream some more as Mommy crossed the finish line. On the ride home from the race my wife and I were discussing how this was her least favorite race since there was no post race beer. My youngest son interjected that this was his second favorite race because there was a park to play at. His favorite? “The one where they had pancakes at the finish.” (The Colder Bolder) What can I say, my son likes his pancakes and my wife likes her beer.

14 comments:

  1. Thank goodness for parks . . . and pancakes . . . and beer (at more reputable races!).

    The great thing about running the race (as a middle-of-the-packer) is you don't have to think about where the race is going, you just follow the folks in front of you and the orange cones. Leave the thinking to the head of the pack! I've had the same problem figuring out race routes as a very pregnant cowbell toting cheerleader at my husband's events (though we've drawn the line at 2 kids, so I won't be on the sidelines anymore!) . . . I'd rather run than have to think about where the next turn is so I can rush there to embarass my runner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang your family is smart, they've already figured out what all the good things in life are... food...drinks...running...family, oh and parks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tell ya...I will say I wont be doing a race, till someone posts a comment that simply says: June, there will be beer there.

    And then, I sign up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Back up the syrup truck: there's a race with pancakes at the finish?!? Why has no one in New England thought of this?

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow. Video. that is high tech, man. What's next? Half-Fast The Movie?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't give him ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is exactly why people have children, isn't it? To get a cheering section. Excellent. Now I understand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Vanilla clan should have done the Shamrock races over in VA Beach.

    Read: 4 free pints for each participant. It was a good thing my room was 100 feet from the celebration tent :-).

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great cheer team! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Built in cheering sections are pretty nice. You brought the incessant questions to life. Thanks, I'm on vacation from the kids....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mental note: buy cowbell for son before next race.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've long considered cowbells the warning signal of a neglectful parent. It doesn't surprise me that your kids would have them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the video.......

    you know Java-mom?? check out her video's, you'll get a chuckle.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.