Monday, March 24, 2008

Proper Hydration Techniques

I don’t know about you, but I hate having to carry a fuel belt or a water bottle when I’m out on a long run. They’re bulky, they’re cumbersome and they bounce around like I’ve got some serious junk in my trunk. Fortunately the video below shows two runners who have found a better way to hydrate during a long run.


The second guy clearly has much better technique for getting the water into his mouth. I mean he just goes for it, I suspect he even took some in through his nose to speed the hydration process. This is pure genius, and I plan on using this technique the next time I need to hydrate on a long run. (I don’t actually plan on using this technique, that was my karma talking.)

The girl that filmed this particular video was clearly overjoyed that she had caught something on film that was YouTube-worthy. It is unfortunate that we live in a day and age where people film everything hoping for something bad to happen and then rush to put it on the internet for all to see. But remember, without those heartless jerks my self-righteous indignation would have nothing to take a stand against, and moments like the one above would be lost forever.

So, just to recap: Using your blog to make fun of a runner who fell and was caught on film = OK.
Filming a Steeplechase and hoping that a runner eats it so you will have a funny video for YouTube = Heartless jerk.

Credit: With Leather

12 comments:

  1. Karma...
    The best part is the chick who is gigling saying I got on video!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the official sport, are you allowed to step on the hurdle? I always thought the idea was to jump over the hurdle and not touch it, rather than use it to propel yourself (unsuccessfully) over the water pit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I didn't like the giggler. I must be in a weird mood. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Living in Florida, there are times I'd have PAID serious cash to fall into some water on a run...hahaha!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny stuff, Vanilla. The overjoyed giggly girl was the clincher.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gotta love the steeplechase!

    This clip should have been on 'The Best Damn Sports Show's recent blooper show!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to run the steeplechase in college. You're allowed to step on any hurdle, although it's faster to jump them completely, with the exception of the water jump. The idea for the water jump is to step on the hurdle, jump over the water, and land so that your trail foot lands in the water and your lead foot steps back out, thus keeping your lead foot, which steps on the hurdle, dry. Obviously these guys didn't follow that method. :)

    Really though, if you're doing the steeplechase, you're kind of asking for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That second guy really just went in face first, didn't he? Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant! Now I know what to do with all these potholes that winter made me. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leave me alone. I can't believe my wife put that video on You Tube.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hated the giggler! Talk about annoying.

    But people have been recording things hoping for something bad to happen since the inception of America's Funniest Home Videos. Come onnnnn, hit daddy in the crotch with the baseball bat!

    Matt
    http://stillwaitingfortherunnershigh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's taking hydration to the extreme!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.