Saturday, March 8, 2008

Weekend Splits - Here to Stay

Weekend Splits is my recap of things that I found interesting or humorous over the past week. If you have a submission for the weekend splits e-mail me.


Race Strategy


Thank you all for your input last week regarding the Weekend Splits. For now they are here to stay, they may not get posted every weekend and they may occasionally get posted on Friday but they’re not dead yet.

The video above comes from TheDailyRunner.com. This is an excellent piece of race strategy, but usually at larger races there are people handing out drinks at the table as well. Remember that after you clear off the table it will be necessary to then slap the drinks out of the volunteer’s hands to complete the maneuver.

  • Ali has not been able to run lately and posted some wonderfully funny observations about not running. If you’ve ever had to sit out due to an injury (you weakling) then you’ll be able to relate.
  • J-Money has a running Arch Nemesis and I don’t. I like to think that I might be someone’s arch nemesis, it’s probably not the case but I like to think it. Either way I need an arch nemesis.
  • Topher had a post this week comparing running to potty training. It seems like there should be so many good jokes that I could make here but I can’t think of a single one.
  • Marcy tried thinking about sex while running to see if it helped alleviate the pain of running. Hmmm sex and running. That would be like combining my two favorite things, if running were one of my favorite things. Incidentally you can enjoy both running and sex without being good at either of them... or so I’m told. Fortunately I’m good at both, and humble too.

Comment of the Week
From kyle on my Trackless Intervals post:

i'm a big fan of track runs because the repetition just pulls me along, but i know most people hate it. those fences around tracks are the worst; it's always a risky couple of seconds as i try to keep my "dangling participles" from becoming split infinitives (i may have just taken that too far for comfort.).

Random Non-Running Related Video of the Week
Have you ever seen a water balloon pop in super slow motion? It’s really cool. The water just kind stays in the shape of the balloon for a moment. Believe it or not there is a water balloon popping in this following video but if you’re like me (i.e. a guy) you won’t notice it the first few times you watch it. Trust me though, it’s there. The video gets old after the first twenty or thirty times you watch it and then all of a sudden: “Whoa! There is a water balloon in the video!”


Best Slow Motion Balloon Pop Ever - Watch more free videos


Have a great weekend everyone! Happy Running!

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out. Just letting you know I'm reading the Weekend Splits, ...on the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading the weekend split on a weekend as well. Mostly because I have a predilection towards interesting science tests such as the featured water exhibit. Ya. *ahem.* I'll be going now to all of the other linked glory :-D.

    Loads of fun, and I really do appreciate you taking the time to pull this all together! Happy weekend to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the splits with the great links.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a weekend reader too! Probably because I am not out there around about mile 10 right now. This is a lot more relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the shout out homie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad to see that my comment was well-received. i thought, perhaps, that i was too much of grammar nerd for it to be funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, but everyone needs a nemesis. Mine is Scott Keeps Running. When I posted that I was going to attempt an indoor triathlon, he asked if I had my will made out. Sometimes I call him neme-sissy. :D

    You really need one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As always, thanks for the linky.

    And if you would like a nemesis, you can have mine. I'll mail her to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad the Weekend Splits are hanging around.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If this post is more than a week old then Comment Moderation has been turned on and your comment may not show up immediately.